The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 minutes ago, Lex said:

Clangers interim to the end of the season and review it in May for me.

Problem is future planning. We know we will lose Ronan, Jones, Gogic and Alnwick. I'd rather have a guy in (or woman, I'm cool with that) that has a longer remit.

Just now, houston_bud said:

Just ruled himself out on the radio. 

I didn't hear the interview. 

Did he say he wasn't interested or was it that he didn't expect to be considered for the job ?

Clangers & McManus could be a feasible partnership !!

Just saying, not advocating it !!!

🙂

Just now, Wilbur said:

I didn't hear the interview. 

Did he say he wasn't interested or was it that he didn't expect to be considered for the job ?

Clangers & McManus could be a feasible partnership !!

Just saying, not advocating it !!!

🙂

Not a chance that you will happen, the  board know who they want already.

6 minutes ago, Lex said:

Clangers interim to the end of the season and review it in May for me.

Clangers as iterim yeah, even to the end of the season, but the new guy should be identified and announced by the split.

2 minutes ago, McG said:

Not a chance that you will happen, the  board know who they want already.

Which, to me, rules out Jack Ross. Purely for the simple fact he is available and they could have kicked off that process before now. With that in mind, for whatever reason, Ross is either not #1 target or he is reluctant to return.

Clangers as iterim yeah, even to the end of the season, but the new guy should be identified and announced by the split.

I don’t think he’s a long term solution, maybe he doesn’t want to be.
Point is if we are going to give it to some random ex player who’s never managed before (Brown, Naismith), why not give it to a random ex player who knows the club, knows the players and is a very good coach by all accounts. He’s got as much chance of being a success as either of them have.
In the meantime it gives us a bit of stability at a crucial time of the season.

6 minutes ago, Ric said:

Which, to me, rules out Jack Ross. Purely for the simple fact he is available and they could have kicked off that process before now. With that in mind, for whatever reason, Ross is either not #1 target or he is reluctant to return.

Maybe the compo to Hibs is a bit too steep for us and the BoD want to run the clock down, be a bit cheeky and announce we'll stick with Clangers till this end of this season with Ross for next season - or maybe that's a ridiculous fantasy1

Edited by btb

1 minute ago, btb said:

Maybe the compo to Hibs is a bit to steep for us ..

I mean that is totally possible.

I wonder if "would rather find a position out of Scotland" is code for exactly that. "I want to work but I'm paid far too much to not work, unless a big offer comes in"

3 minutes ago, btb said:

Born in Paisley IIRC.

Indeed, although so were McInnes and Neilson, neither of them support the club - or at least not that I know.

Still if he's a fan, fair enough, you always feel people will give that extra % when it's your own team.

If I’m reading the room reasonably correctly…

Muttley - no fcuking thanks.

Derek Adams - FFS no fcuking thanks.

Scott Brown - jesus wept, no fcuking thanks, bawbag played for Sellik and celebrated a goal against us.

Steven Naismith - just no, end of.

Paul Lambert - hasn’t been that great at any of his two hundred clubs.

Clangers - only for three weeks, then sorry, no.

Jack Ross - kunt played us like a fiddle, best of a bad lot though.

McManus - did OK as caretaker before, but maybe not the answer.

We’re doomed! 😀.

I'm 99% sure McManus doesn't want to be a club manager. Can't provide a source, but I'm very sure he's said it very specifically in the past.

Stewart Gilmour weighed in on that, too, saying the work McManus does at youth level is far more important to the club. Let's leave him be.

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'm 99% sure McManus doesn't want to be a club manager. Can't provide a source, but I'm very sure he's said it very specifically in the past.

Stewart Gilmour weighed in on that, too, saying the work McManus does at youth level is far more important to the club. Let's leave him be.

Let's face it only a madman would want to be a football manager, with it's inherant insecurity, the best you can hope for is a good looking one like Jim! :wub:

8 hours ago, MatthewM02 said:

Hi, my name is Matthew Muir and I am studying journalism at City of Glasgow College. 

I have published an article about potential candidates for the St. Mirren job, if any Buddies would be interested in reading. 

https://www.cityliveglasgow.com/journalism/2022/2/18/next-manager-options-four-managerial-candidates-to-replace-jim-goodwin-at-st-mirren 

No criticism of yourself as it’s something the media have been saying as well, but any talk of Kevin Thomson being a serious contender for the St Mirren job should be nipped in the bud. If St Mirren were adrift at the bottom of the league and preparing for a season in the Championship, then I could maybe just stomach that.

St Mirren are genuine contenders for a top 6 finish this season, are in the QFs of the Scottish Cup with a winnable tie, and if they got really lucky could be playing in a European competition next season. By all accounts Thomson is doing a good but not spectacular job with Kelty Hearts in League Two, but nothing that I can see that merits his inclusion on the shortlist for a job at the sharp end of Scottish football. Anyone who knows better than me able to shed any light? Genuinely willing to listen if I’m missing something here, but it seems to me he’s done a bit of media work whilst out of a job and now his mates on the TV and radio are throwing his name around as a favour. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

1 minute ago, Bgsaint said:

You are often right, so who do they want? 

Don’t know mate, heard different things, JR is wiling to come back, couple of board members want him but some unsure.

Think it will be a quick appointment whoever it is.

Can only hope it's not Stevie Naismith as it appears that this would be an appointment based on nothing but old fashioned nepotism if his dad's link to Kibble is correct.

And I say this not as someone who thinks 'Kibble bad', but more in the vein of 'giving a Kibble gaffer's boy the job, bad'.