The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

20 minutes ago, Lex said:

There’s three kinds of managerial appointment we can make.
1) The up and comer from a lower level. This is historically the one we have favoured. Alex Ferguson, Tom Hendrie, Danny Lennon, Ian Murray, Oran Kearney Jim Goodwin etc. There’s no obvious candidates in the lower leagues just now, so I think that one’s probably out. Kevin Thomson might turn out to be a good manager, but this is way too early for him and winning the league with the biggest budget is no real measure.
2) The out of work experienced one with failures on the CV. Jack Ross, Paul Lambert, Derek Adams etc. Not a route we have taken often. Davie Hay, Alex Rae and Alan Stubbs fall into that category, so not one we’ve had much success with. However, I think most of us favour this route and it’s probably the safest one bet.
3) Someone who’s never managed before. Scott Brown, Steven Thompson, Ali De Foy etc. We’ve had some success with this one, Jim Clunie and Gus McPherson being the two that spring to mind. But it’s the high gamble appointment. If we are going to go down this route I think we need someone who has a previous ties with the club - so not Scott Brown. Someone like that will just be given no slack by the fans if it doesn’t go well straight away. He might turn out to be a great manager, but I don’t want him learning his trade with us. If Thommo wants to give up his comfy Sportscene couch though… emoji7.png

Why not an in work experienced manager?

1 minute ago, Biscuits said:

Simmer down ffs

I’m not raging or seething one bit, so no need to simmer down. What’s wrong with posting that you disagree with wishing success to a manager who from 3pm today joins the ranks of all the others who want to beat St Mirren?

I’m not raging or seething one bit, so no need to simmer down. What’s wrong with posting that you disagree with wishing success to a manager who from 3pm today joins the ranks of all the others who want to beat St Mirren?

Fair enough.

Anyhoo- new profile pic chosen. Bye Jim

2 minutes ago, Saint Shug said:

If nothing else Scott Brown as St Mirren manager will be some laugh. So for that reason alone, I’m all for it tbh. 

I believe the word you are looking for is "pyrrhic".

6 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Traditionally we rarely go down that route. 

Also, I hope you aren't meaning that pr1ck McCall 😂

Much as I am not a McCall fan, he wouldn't go to St. Mirren. He is probably in his last job unless a much bigger job comes up. Which it won't. 

Us being linked with Scott Brown was not the news I expected to wake up to 🤣

Wouldn't be my choice as manager, always feel it's a bit of a risk going with a complete novice during the season. Still, would rather have him than some of the names being floated about. Ross would have been the obvious and quick choice but if he isn't interested then the board should have a good think and see who is out there rather than rushing things. They should have started thinking as soon as Glass got booted as this was always a possibility - and if Brown is they best they can come up with...

Also, if people really are planning to email/tweet the club and protest about this potential appointment they really need to get a grip. Brown's only crime seems to be people don't like him, which is not exactly a reason not to appoint him.

Just now, Stu said:

Us being linked with Scott Brown was not the news I expected to wake up to 🤣

Wouldn't be my choice as manager, always feel it's a bit of a risk going with a complete novice during the season. Still, would rather have him than some of the names being floated about. Ross would have been the obvious and quick choice but if he isn't interested then the board should have a good think and see who is out there rather than rushing things. They should have started thinking as soon as Glass got booted as this was always a possibility - and if Brown is they best they can come up with...

Also, if people really are planning to email/tweet the club and protest about this potential appointment they really need to get a grip. Brown's only crime seems to be people don't like him, which is not exactly a reason not to appoint him.

Brown is hated because he is a footballing thug. But off the park, seemingly he is as nice a guy as you can meet.

6 minutes ago, Ric said:

I believe the word you are looking for is "pyrrhic".

I’m not even going to lie I had to Google what ‘pyrrhic’ meant but funnily enough, you could probably use it to describe just about every argument you seem to get yourself involved in on here. 

8 minutes ago, Captain Saintsible said:

Steven Gerrard had no management experience when he was appointed manager of Sevco whilst Neil Lennon had loads of experience when he was appointed second time around at C*ltic…..

The difference being both of those clubs had the finances and resources to either replace the manager or replace the team should they need to.

12 minutes ago, Saint Shug said:

... you could probably use it to describe just about every argument you seem to get yourself involved in on here. 

Not sure why the salt, I was agreeing with your point.

21 minutes ago, btb said:

Cut to the chase, Brown is excess baggage at Aberdeen now - I just don't see it as a move that's in our best interest.

Yeah, they'll probably be quite keen to get shot of him. He'll be on a fair wage, he was really only there because of Glass and there could well be friction with the new management team. Was he assistant before or just a coach? If it was the former he's effectively being demoted.

Maybe they're offering us extra to take him on!

15 minutes ago, Captain Saintsible said:

Steven Gerrard had no management experience when he was appointed manager of Sevco whilst Neil Lennon had loads of experience when he was appointed second time around at C*ltic…..

He also had the second largest budget in Scottish football and only managed to win one trophy out of nine.