The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

12 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Seriously have you not got a bird to shag 

Well shes about 7 months pregnant just now so I'm probably best not too at this stage, tbh.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

I'd be on board with that but that would probably be wholly depending on what league Killie are in come the end of the season. 

Would it be a shock if he had a release clause in his deal allowing him to leave for a top flight club while they remain out of it? He'd likely jump at the chance too. Better team in a higher tier in a better position.

59 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I mean it's all one everybody wanting Jack Ross back but what if he's not in the least bit interested?

What if no-one who truly fits the bill is interested and you're left with Jim McIntyre, James McPake, Stephen Glass and Kevin Thomson to pick from?

You going with one of them, or you thinking 'f**k it' and taking the risk on Brown?

Rumours flying around JR has knocked us back already 😂. Who knows what to believe now, all sorts of rumours have been going around all week. 

As for Brown, I'd just rather it was someone with a bit of know how and experience who has had a bit of success in this league. Even if it meant poaching McInnes off Killie. We are on the cusp of a really really good season,  3 or 4 defeats on the bounce because an inexperienced manager is cutting his teeth wouldn't go down well and we'd all go into panic mode if the bottom 2 closed the gap. That's not to say an experienced guy won't lose the first 3 games either. I find the shouts for McGarry nearly as bizarre tbh.

35 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Well shes about 7 months pregnant just now so I'm probably best not too at this stage, tbh.

Would it be a shock if he had a release clause in his deal allowing him to leave for a top flight club while they remain out of it? He'd likely jump at the chance too. Better team in a higher tier in a better position.

Congrats RG. Plenty more XG on the way for you then (expected gagging with shitey nappies)

15 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

We need to let the board know tomorrow this is not on. Everyone who can go should let the board know this is unacceptable.  

what exactly is not on & unacceptable?

18 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

We need to let the board know tomorrow this is not on. Everyone who can go should let the board know this is unacceptable.  

Why is this unacceptable? Its not like we're trying to sign a sex offender.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Any mention of folk not wanting Brown because of who he is, is just totally misguided.  I don't think I've ever heard too many bad things about the guy aside from on the park. 

He's generally quite well thought of off the field isn't he?

It's the inexperience mate never been a manager.  Can he hold the respect of the dressing room  never mind the fans. It's a huge gamble do you think this experiment is worth it?   If so I'm surprised.  

3 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

It's the inexperience mate never been a manager.  Can he hold the respect of the dressing room  never mind the fans. It's a huge gamble do you think this experiment is worth it?   If so I'm surprised.  

No it’s probably not a wise move. The boardroom is rumoured to be a shambles tho so I am not surprised. 

42 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Why is this unacceptable? Its not like we're trying to sign a sex offender.

A untried manager is the bottom line for me. Go to YouTube listen to his interview's  does that inspire the dressing room that's my number one concern.  If Goodwin is taken the many of our back room staff we should be ( extremely  ) worried.  

56 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Will it make a difference.  For me it's about experience  nothing else. Huge gamble. 

Kevin Thomson isn’t happening so go to sleep mate. 

He had a bigger budget than Brooks at Gretna ffs.

I've been very impressed by names St. Mirren had linked with so far; Think you well may come out of this much stronger. Paul Lambert, Derek Adams, people with actual experience and decent success in past. Contacts they have will be extensive.

If went for Scott Brown, he would be determined to succeed, I think there is a manager there. I know not popular as a player, but as a manager I would not bet against him being really good.

Again, will have well handy contacts. Can see him to better if fiocuses on manager only, rather than player/manager though. 

All better than Ross IMO;

Surely the Brown stuff is just paper talk, the Record just desperate for an Old Firm angle. 

The reason I wouldn't want him is a lack of experience. Nothing to do with him as a person, the guy is a winner, he's very hard working, will have good contacts in the game. Now, none of that means he'd necessarily be a good manager, but he's not someone I'd be protesting against. 

I reckon it's all moot anyway. I will be astounded if Scott Brown is our next manager. 

People are saying "lack of experience" but really their issue is that they don't like Scott Brown. No way there would be this much of a reaction if it was someone like Robert Snodgrass for example. I think Brown is a winner, and was the main man at Celtic under numerous managers. I guess the worry is he's Neil Lennon mk II, but even Lennon tended to at least do well in his first couple of seasons with most clubs.

Also, would you really want McInnes, Adams, McIntyre, even Lambert? The other options aren't the most appetising, and bringing in some random from England or abroad is just as much of a risk. I know we all want JR, but maybe he doesn't want to come? Or maybe, after last time, the board don't fancy him because as soon as he starts doing well they'll think he'll be desperately trying to leave again? Since Scott/Fitzpatrick came in they've appointed 4 managers. 1 was a disaster they fixed quickly (probably the guy with the most "experience" and the best CV out the 4,), 3 did good jobs. They maybe deserve a bit more trust from the support here.