The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Lambert did an excellent job at Colchester if I am not wrong

Yeah like any out of work manager he has failures and successes on his CV. Same as Jack Ross, although Ross has nowhere near the same level of experience.
Lambert did well with Wycombe, took them to the league cup semi finals and did well again with Colchester which got him the Norwich job.
They were a shambles in league one when he arrived and his Colchester had just gubbed them 7-1. He got them successive promotions to the EPL and then kept them up before getting another bigger job with Villa.
It’s certainly been more mixed since but he’s managed a lot of big clubs. Blackburn, Wolves, Stoke and Ipswich.
He’s been out the game for a year now and doesn’t seem to be mentioned when those kind of jobs come up. I think he’d take the chance to come up the road with his home club to rebuild his reputation. We should at least ask the question.

I think the consensus here is that.... there is no consensus.

We'll not get a guy who everyone is happy with.

My preference is for someone who knows the club, or at least knows the league, and is experienced, with at least a moderate level of success. Jack ticks the bill for me. Fear we'll end up with a Stuart McCall or something.

50 minutes ago, Lex said:

Lambert would be my choice. Renfrewshire lad and a cup winning St Mirren legend who’s played and managed at the top level.

Still has ties and family in the local area, taking over a 'successful' team one point from 4th with a game in hand, I'm sure there's a connection still there between him and Tony F...  

The more I think about it, the more positive* i am. 

*Positive we couldn't afford him, but he would be a real catch for the club if we could get him in.  

For me Lambert has disaster written all over it.

I don't particularly want Ross back, but of the options out there (that we know of), he has to be the top candidate. He'll be able to dictate his terms of course, so the board might decide he is a bit too rich for us, but I think the onus is upon the board to ask the question of Ross before we start looking at other candidates.

Surely to god we've been speaking to people this week.  I'd take Ross back in a heartbeat.  Goodwin leaving us mid-season on the eve of some big games is a kick in the teeth.  Unfortunately it's always going to be the case.  Of the names flying around it has to be Ross.  

And it needs to be quick these 3 games define our season I think.  

35 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Didn't you literally change the football team you support?

So did I, and at least one other Saints fan I know! What's wrong with that, unless it's blatant glory hunting? I know of at least four Old Firm fans who've see the light, and long may that continue.

Just now, GAD said:

The thing about Adams is that he is quite clearly a decent manager up to a point, that point being a year or two down the line when he goes mental and falls out with everyone.

Yeah, Adams is not a bad coach, but his ego easily outstrips his ability.

Seems the type to start a fight in an empty room.

7 minutes ago, paisleysaints said:

Surely to god we've been speaking to people this week.  I'd take Ross back in a heartbeat.  Goodwin leaving us mid-season on the eve of some big games is a kick in the teeth.  Unfortunately it's always going to be the case.  Of the names flying around it has to be Ross.  

And it needs to be quick these 3 games define our season I think.  

You'd like to think so, it's been the worst kept secret this was on the cards. Can't even adopt the Gilmour regime policy of promoting from within as Lee Sharp will likely follow Goodwin, not that we should be doing that anyway. It does need to be resolved quickly and I would hope they do so over the weekend with an appointment due early next week. Unless they fancy taking a manager who is already in position then we can expect a drawn out process as always. 

6 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

If Jack Ross won't take it - and I don't think he will - what about, and bear with me here... Danny Lennon?

Lennon was sacked unfairly imo, he was terrible at times, but to win a cup then get your jotters is pretty shit.

However, Lennon, as Clyde manager was happy to have Goodwillie in the team. While he didn't sign him originally, Lennon oversaw a contract extension.

I just want this done now.

He wants to explore the vacancy. I get they have a bigger fan base and have bigger budget, but if he doesn't get the control he likes, he might not go.

If we have ambition we are the same as Aberdeen, but without the budget. Surely every club, other than the OF are the same? In an Ideal world you want to finish highest at 3rd, Want to progress/win cups, want European football? So the control and budget are then the selling points, no?

Currently we are are 6th. They are 8th. League cup we both got knocked out 2nd round I think. Scottish cup we are into the 6th round and Aberdeen are out. We look totally in a better position, all is just money, which is a shame, but understandable. I just hate how Aberdeen are up their own arse with their famous Aberdeen bull shit.

Sorry ranting. I know managers come and go, but we have finally got good vibe, good momentum, potential to finish top 6 and those p***ks come in and unsettle it all.

I just want it sorted quickly.