The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Thomson and Ferguson are dreadful shouts FFS. Not a chance.

Fully expect Billy Davies, Paul Lambert & Steve Evans to be added to the shite manager tombola. 

We need to pull out all stops to get Jack Ross back IMO. 

5 minutes ago, Lex said:

Lambert would be my choice. Renfrewshire lad and a cup winning St Mirren legend who’s played and managed at the top level.

Lambert at least has the distinction of being a somewhat distinguished football manager. His record hasn't always been great but he's been in some meaty roles and not always done badly in them. Though when he's failed he's done so spectacularly.

He's in a completely different stratosphere compared to folk like Barry Ferguson and Kevin Thomson. I don't think he's a realistic shout and the only thing pulling him back would be his previous ties to the club and the fact that he's from nearby.

Edited by djchapsticks

18 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Looks like my hopes have been dashed Goodwin expected to sign for the Don's today that's a bitter pill to swallow. Ether give McManus a trial period or bring in a young hungry manager in Kevin Thomson.  

What’s Kevin Thomson done? He’s managing kelty in league 2 with a bigger budget than most championship teams.

Get real ffs.

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Lambert at least has the distinction of being a somewhat distinguished football manager. His record hasn't always been great but he's been in some meaty roles and not always done badly in them. Though when he's failed he's done so spectacularly.

He's in a completely different stratosphere compared to folk like Barry Ferguson and Kevin Thomson. I don't think he's a realistic shout and the only thing pulling him back would be his previous ties to the club and the fact that he's from nearby.

Has Lambert done much of note since he left Norwich, whenever that was? He was pretty useless at Ipswich, didn't last long at Wolves and Stoke went down (can't remember when he came in so no idea how much of that was his fault). My vague memories of his Villa spell was it wasn't particularly good but that could just be because it didn't end well.

Fitzpatrick tried to get him when Ross left but he wasn't interested. Last few years might have changed that but I wouldn't be keen.

Just now, Stu said:

Has Lambert done much of note since he left Norwich, whenever that was? He was pretty useless at Ipswich, didn't last long at Wolves and Stoke went down (can't remember when he came in so no idea how much of that was his fault). My vague memories of his Villa spell was it wasn't particularly good but that could just be because it didn't end well.

Fitzpatrick tried to get him when Ross left but he wasn't interested. Last few years might have changed that but I wouldn't be keen.

I mean his Ipswich and Villa tenure both ended poorly but again, I'm thinking levels. Lambert is exceptionally well connected in the English game and to a mid table top flight club, such connections could be a difference maker.

Easy to say he's a failure but he continually gets high level roles and never finds himself in the wilderness too long.

Just now, Stu said:

The only decent job he has done in his career has been at Norwich. Which was admittedly a very good job. His entire career since seems to been based on his successes there. Every other club he has been at he has been at best mediocre.

I don't think he would be a good appointment, an expensive risk. Oddly enough in this case I would rather go for the cheap option, or Jack Ross.

In regard to Thomson, I think it's too early and I am a little concerned with the Rangers connection (don't want it tot turn into a circus), but in his post match interviews after both Saints games I thought he came across well. That's not a reason alone to suggest him, just thought he sounded like someone destined for a bigger gig.

21 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

If Goodwin goes and we can't temp Jack Ross back, I'll be concerned.

I'd agree with that in isolation, I'd understand a "not going back" feeling if he had one.

18 minutes ago, Lex said:

Lambert would be my choice. Renfrewshire lad and a cup winning St Mirren legend who’s played and managed at the top level.

Maybe earlier in his career, but I don't think Lambert has been all that successful and afaik he's never shown any desire to become our manager. It's the same for Davies who ocassionally gets mentioned because of the St Mirren connection. Stevie Clarke is another. All these "experienced St Mirren men" who are now managers don't want to manage the club.

2 minutes ago, elvis said:

Another two faced c**t gone.

He's done what's right for him, until he raids us in the summer I'm sure he'll be well regarded. After that he'll become the snake. 

Time to move on quickly. Junior Mendes back as manager IMO. 

Edit: better shout than Kevin Thomson anyway.

Edited by buddie06smfc

See ya Jim.

I’m a bit surprised. Not so much with Jim’s ambition, but more with Aberdeen chasing him. For all the talk of wanting attacking football, it’s not something I’d say he’s famed for. 

It won’t be Sharp and don’t see it being Ross. No obvious names come to mind at the moment.