The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

10 minutes ago, ulysses said:

Stephen McGowan stating a deal close between Goodwin and Aberdeen. Club are in talks with the Dons.

McManus or Sharp caretaker for tomorrow?

No doubt, and life will go on. Maybe with Jack Ross, or someone else who knows. If Goodwin goes, I hope nothing but failure for Aberdeen. That might sound harsh, and I genuinely do not wish him any personal ill-will, but this is different than Jack Ross going to Sunderland, Jim would be going to a direct rival. Jim knows us inside-out, and would be looking for his new charges to pump us. I would want ANY new Aberdeen manager to fall flat on their arse, this is not directly aimed at Jim Goodwin. Jim could also be looking at taking staff and players from us. To wish him anything other than failure would therefore seem bizarre in my view. He’s a great guy, a legend and all that, but I support St Mirren, not any individual who was at the club for a while, no matter how well thought of they were. 

Edited by pozbaird

12 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

We've tended to go for lower league, lower profile guys, or promoted from within. Really not sure anyone fits the profile or leaps out at me from the Champ/seaside leagues.

Has anyone who pays more attention got any suggestions?

Stewart Petrie at Montrose always seems to be highly rated but I think he signed a long-term contract there earlier in the season. Peter Murphy has been doing well with Annan but reckon he is Queen of the South bound. Huge step up for either of them, especially at this point in the season, so think that's unlikely.

If Goodwin goes and it's not Ross I hope it is someone absolutely batshit crazy like Ian Holloway or a return of the Kluivert/Guti rumours from 2018.

6 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

..on BAWA..

Well, I mean, that's the first problem there...

If Goodwin goes, we really should look at this as a positive. We have improved the team, he has improved as a manager and our club can be seen as one that offers great opportunities for managers. The window is closed so he won't be taking our players with him, while Alnwick, Ronan, Gogic and Jones won't be with us next season anyway. We aren't near the relegation battle and it gives the new person some breathing space and the opportunity to build their own team knowing we can negotiate with players while being safe rather than negotiating with them while we play 6 pointers in 11th or 12th place.

The club seems to be financially stable, the youth system is delivering some good players. All in all, while I'd rather keep Goodwin, if he goes, it's probably as stable as the club have ever been in regard to bringing a new person in.

Edited by Ric

I have consistantly stuck up for Goodwin on here, I've been fairly consistant in the messaging that i rate him highly and in my belief that he'll go on to much bigger and better things than St Mirren.  

And to be fair to the guy, the last time he spoke about his future, at the SMISA Zoom thing, he said he'd stay if the board and the fans were happy (I've paraphrased). 

But the longer there's uncertainty over his immediate future, the greater the unsettling effect that this will have on the first team squad and the Club in general. 

Worst case scenario, in my mind, isn't that he is named as Aberdeen Manager today. It's that he stays and we're unsettled for a longer period knowing that he has no intention of staying and he'll be off shortly. 

I think nailing his colours to the mast would be required, and him stating that he'll be here till the Season end or contract end or whatever. 

Genuinely, whenever he walks out of St Mirren for the last time as manager, I'll wish him all the best and remember him as the Cup winning captain in 2013, getting it right up the away fans, giving 100% on the pitch always, and as a leader on and off the field.

He seems a principled guy, i hope he leaves as well as he's played and managed. 

Goodwin has to take the chance while his stock is high. 6 weeks ago that wouldn’t have been the case. He’s steadily built a good squad here and no doubt been in a big factor in majority of those players signing, along with the wads of cash we throw at everyone. No need to panic, it’s not ideal timing but it’s not the end of the world. 

Unless there is an outstanding left field candidate I’d have Jack Ross back. The squad Goodwin has built is not all too dissimilar from what he had in his time here. Thankfully Goodwin was pretty forward thinking and had a number of key players signed up for another year or so yet. Hopefully this doesn’t end our recent turn of very good Irish players coming to the club. 

4 minutes ago, Ric said:

Well, I mean, that's the first problem there...

If Goodwin goes, we really should look at this as a positive. We have improved the team, he has improved as a manager and our club can be seen as one that offers great opportunities for managers. The window is closed so he won't be taking our players with him, while Alnwick, Ronan, Gogic and Jones won't be with us next season anyway. We aren't near the relegation battle and it gives the new person some breathing space and the opportunity to build their own team knowing we can negotiate with players while being safe rather than negotiating with them while we play 6 pointers in 11th or 12th place.

The club seems to be financially stable, the youth system is delivering some good players. All in all, while I'd rather keep Goodwin, if he goes, it's probably as stable as the club have ever been in regard to bringing a new person in.

Pretty much agree with that, JG did good business in the January window, changed the tactics that weren't getting the best out of what we had, has us in our best form of the season, if he goes what is needed is continuity (Lee Sharp?) or a new guy in ASAP because the planning for next season starts soon....

Edited by btb

1 minute ago, buddie06smfc said:

The squad Goodwin has built is not all too dissimilar from what he had in his time here.

It's funny as when Goodwin switched back to a 4-2-3-1 I was saying to people that is a very similar set up when we won the Championship under Ross.

Stewart Petrie at Montrose always seems to be highly rated but I think he signed a long-term contract there earlier in the season. Peter Murphy has been doing well with Annan but reckon he is Queen of the South bound. Huge step up for either of them, especially at this point in the season, so think that's unlikely.
If Goodwin goes and it's not Ross I hope it is someone absolutely batshit crazy like Ian Holloway or a return of the Kluivert/Guti rumours from 2018.

Can’t imagine Petrie will go full time as has a good job outwith of football.

What about Ian Murray? Or did he manage you guys before? Wouldn’t want to see him leave but has been pretty consistent with airdrie in last few seasons and got us performing well.

13 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

The poster called StLucifer on BAWA cogently suggests that Aberdeen are deliberately trying to destabilise our team for upcoming games, and that Jim may be quite annoyed when he realises he's been played.

ETA: We've apparently signed Calum Waters on a pre-contract agreement, too.

Calum Waters on a pre contract ffs preparing for a return to the championship.

14 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

The poster called StLucifer on BAWA cogently suggests that Aberdeen are deliberately trying to destabilise our team for upcoming games, and that Jim may be quite annoyed when he realises he's been played.

That part can take itself so, SO far to f**k.

If JG has signed him on a PCA then it should be written into any negotiations that he fucking takes him to Aberdeen with him.

20 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

That post on B&W is a tremendous bit of trolling 😂

1 minute ago, AW saint said:

Waters is not good enough. If true and Goodwin goes we need to cancel that contract

Maybe Aberdeen's a done deal and Jim's sabotaging next season's campaign by signing a load of duds. 😵 

19 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Can’t imagine Petrie will go full time as has a good job outwith of football.

What about Ian Murray? Or did he manage you guys before? Wouldn’t want to see him leave but has been pretty consistent with airdrie in last few seasons and got us performing well.

Yeah, that six month period is best forgotten...