The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

4 hours ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

I never suggested Goodwin would be sacked for failing to win a cup next year.

If an Aberdeen manager is knocked out of both cups and sitting in 9th position, he can damn well expect to lose his job. 

Not delusional, just the reality. 

We know more than anyone the budget means nothing in terms of winning things. The point being made is that as long as the budget is that high there will be an expectation there. 

I think Goodwin will be a successful Aberdeen manager.

He'll get a free hit til the end of the season to weed out the imposters (most of them) and he'll be suitably backed in the summer. 

I think it should also be noted that fans can accept losing cup matches. It happens. It's part of football. But it's the manner in which we got put out of them this season. We took Raith Rovers for granted as we wanted to concentrate on Qarabag and deservedly got pumped out. And then we failed to lay a glove on Motherwell really. 

Cup matches are a lottery and all down to the luck of the draw. But there is no question we should have done far better in them this season. 

Just now, DunbartonshireRed said:

I think it should also be noted that fans can accept losing cup matches. It happens. It's part of football. But it's the manner in which we got put out of them this season. We took Raith Rovers for granted as we wanted to concentrate on Qarabag and deservedly got pumped out. And then we failed to lay a glove on Motherwell really. 

Cup matches are a lottery and all down to the luck of the draw. But there is no question we should have done far better in them this season. 

Not just this season. St Johnstone have won three times as many trophies as your club in the last 20years on a fraction of the budget. Perennial underachievers are Aberdeen.

17 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

One story I’m hearing is that our assistant manager is very much settled with a young family, and he’s not keen on relocating. 

Who knows it’s all rumours at the moment.

If that's the case and if Jim goes and if I get a date with Kylie (we have the same favourite film) then I'd be inclined to give Lee Sharp the job till the end of the season.

1 minute ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Not just this season. St Johnstone have won three times as many trophies as your club in the last 20years on a fraction of the budget. Perennial underachievers are Aberdeen.

Yeah we haven't won as many trophies as other clubs but I think we also shouldn't lose sight of the fact that Brendan Rodgers Celtic team has to take most of the blame for that 😂. They done us in i think 3 finals and another couple of semi finals if i remember. So while we haven't won as many trophies it's not always down to "under-achieving". Sometimes we just came up against a team that no other team in the country could beat in the cups either. 

5 minutes ago, btb said:

If that's the case and if Jim goes and if I get a date with Kylie (we have the same favourite film) then I'd be inclined to give Lee Sharp the job till the end of the season.

Thankfully it won’t be Lee Sharp that gets it.

On 16/02/2022 at 18:22, Saint Shug said:

Aye fair doo’s I suppose. 

I’m just no convinced Jack Ross coming back would be such a good thing tbh 

Don't get me wrong I liked OK and he worked wonders to keep us up (along with a honking Dundee team). Just a shame the way it worked out with him, but then we got Goodwin so it worked out well for us.

Definitely a good point bud, when you see the names that gey banded about though, to lose Goodwin and replace him with Ross would be as best an outcome I can imagine. 

24 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:
29 minutes ago, McG said:
Thankfully it won’t be Lee Sharp that gets it.

Who then?

From the outside looking in, Jack Ross the obvious one?

How would he feel about going back though? Would he see it as going back with his tail between his legs?

Kevin Thomson? Too soon?

Derek Adams is available but he’d not be a popular choice

Goodwin might stay at Saints if he doesn’t fancy not having the full say on football matters as Dons have a Director of Football & Head of Recruitment. 

21 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Goodwin might stay at Saints if he doesn’t fancy not having the full say on football matters as Dons have a Director of Football & Head of Recruitment. 

I think if there’s any reason for Jim Goodwin to reject the job it will be because of the above. He commented during a Q&A the other night that he enjoys having full autonomy over everything with St Mirren. We had a DOF type in Gus McPherson but he was punted because Goodwin didn’t need him. 

The Aberdeen set up sounds quite different to what he’s used to or how he wants to manage a team. 

Wages on offer could trump all that right enough.