The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

23 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Goodwin has been entirely unspectacular with us, but he has steadied the ship.

Two cup semi finals and 7th place last year while beating Rangers and Celtic (away in League). We were the only team last season to have beaten Rangers over 90minutes domestically. 

We have not seen that type of achievement since the 80s with regards cup semis and league position.

I'm honestly a bit excited at the prospect of Jack Ross coming back. Don't get me wrong, I love Goodwin and I hope he stays, but that Jack Ross period was the second best I've ever had as a St Mirren fan (millennium season was no 1 obviously) and a suitably chastened Jack Ross with "unfinished business" here to rebuild his reputation just sounds really good fun to me!
It'll probably be Derek Adams instead....
I'm guessing you were too young for the Fergie era?

I think the board did the right thing, asking for a compensation package before allowing him to speak to Aberdeen. It does, however, make it look more certain he's gone than not. Yet if we had allowed him to speak to them unconditionally and they decided to take a chance on him, the compensation issue could drag on with Aberdeen in the stronger position allowing them to dictate terms.

I said when Glass was first sacked, I'd expect Goodwin to be interested and for him to speak to Aberdeen, but felt he wouldn't take the job (on the proviso he was offered it of course). I'm still of that mindset.

It shouldn't stop the board putting together a "wish list" for his replacement, which again may hint the club is preparing for him to leave, but again, I think the club would be right to do that even if Goodwin stays.

1 minute ago, jimmy boo said:
2 hours ago, GAD said:
I'm honestly a bit excited at the prospect of Jack Ross coming back. Don't get me wrong, I love Goodwin and I hope he stays, but that Jack Ross period was the second best I've ever had as a St Mirren fan (millennium season was no 1 obviously) and a suitably chastened Jack Ross with "unfinished business" here to rebuild his reputation just sounds really good fun to me!
It'll probably be Derek Adams instead....

I'm guessing you were too young for the Fergie era?

I was 13 at that time, it remains the best era by a mile. The cup win of 87 remains special and will always be the best one off occasion

But the team that Fergie inherited then added to was the most special time for me.

We were by Miles the most exciting team to watch in the country. 

There was something magical happening back then, just a shame he didn’t stay on long enough to see it through to another level.

When Jack Ross left, I was pretty unconcerned about the talk that he engineered his move, or whatever. Sunderland were a chance for him at a bloody big wage hike, that I would have likely engineered a move to as well, if it had been me. I genuinely believe Sunderland pulled the trigger on a manager they should have stuck with. Stupid Mackems, they’ve really pushed on after bagging Ross, haven’t they. Anyway… up here, I genuinely believe there is little between the non OF clubs at present. If Goodwin goes to Aberdeen, as Aberdeen are in 2022, it firstly will be about his undoubted wage hike. It will secondly be about going to an undoubtably bigger club. Bigger that is in attendances, stadium size, budget. It certainly isn’t about inheriting a squad full of stars snapping at the heels of the Old Firm, being shoe-ins for 3rd spot and regularly lifting the Scottish and League Cups. Aberdeen are no longer any better than anyone else. Their results prove it.

If Goodwin goes, as we sit here in 6th, with a winnable cup quarter, and on a great run with a strong looking squad - thanks, but just fcuk off and get on with your new job. I wish him no ill, but I genuinely believe he wouldn’t last more than two full seasons there. Then Aberdeen move on to their next post-McInnes manager, not looking for the glory days of the 80s obviously, but looking for whatever it is they think they should be a achieving…. something I think Hibs, Hearts, Motherwell, Dundee United, St Mirren, or whoever, are equally able to achieve these days.

Aberdeen simply are not clearly ‘the best of the rest’ in Scotland. Not by a long chalk.

Fergie's got a lot to answer for. When he  took over at LS we had just finished in our lowest ever position in Scottish Football , 28th I think. Not only did he turn us round , but within 3 years we were winning twice in the same season in the league at Parkhead. Tony-F bases his "we are a big club , a top 6 club" entirely on the Fergie years and his legacy. Aberdeen have not always been a club challenging at the top , I remember in my first season as a fan at LS in the old 18 team 1st division , they were lucky that a really poor Arbroath and Falkirk were in the league that season as Aberdeen were awful , finishing 15th. When Fergie arrived up there he made them an equal of what the OF had always been , League wins , Cup wins etc They will never reach those heights again. Even Man U , will never see the consistent success of the Fergie type teams again. The Aberdeen and Man U supports have that "entitled" air about them , and it's all about what they were , not what they are !

14 minutes ago, FTOF said:

McPake binned.

Looks like they're desperate to get Ross in.

Smart move. Their board must remember their desperate pursuit of him last time while he was at Saints with the choice laying with Jack Ross and been spooked into action. If they do while Ross only has one choice they are slightly more likely to tempt him there, only slightly.