The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

It would be a massive bonus if Jak stayed, but at least he is not letting any speculation affect his game.

He is a top top keeper. Our best since Campbell Money. 

It would be great if he could lift the Scottish Cup just like Dibble if he departs.

He really could be the difference in those remaining cup games. 

9 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Griffiths quite clearly has struggled with his mental health. Not sure I'd class that as "wasted talent".

I think if he really pushed himself he could have done much more. His free kicks against England shows what he's capable of, and they were incredible and against a very, very good side. 

Mental health problems aren't necessarily incapacitating. With the right treatment and support they can be managed...with alcohol, drugs and a lot of drama in one's life, they can indeed become debilitating. 

5 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Reading between the lines it looks like he'll be leaving. As usual I wouldn't like to see him at a Premiership rival but wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at Aberdeen because Lewis is pish.

Was listening to Off the Ball a few weeks back and they were suggesting that the St Johnstone goalkeeper is heading for Aberdeen?

We've been blessed with Hladky then Alnwick. No doubt work will have already gone on with Jim and Langfield to identify a potential successor for Jak.

9 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Was listening to Off the Ball a few weeks back and they were suggesting that the St Johnstone goalkeeper is heading for Aberdeen?

We've been blessed with Hladky then Alnwick. No doubt work will have already gone on with Jim and Langfield to identify a potential successor for Jak.

Dean Lyness may get his chance if Alnwick is off. Any time he's stood in, he's been more than adequate. 

6 hours ago, FTOF said:

He’s most likely leaving at the end of the season. We just couldn’t have wished for a better replacement for the brilliant Vaclav Hladky. 

He had big boots to fill and without doubt he’s managed to do it with ease. One of Jim’s best signings.

7 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

He’s most likely leaving at the end of the season. We just couldn’t have wished for a better replacement for the brilliant Vaclav Hladky. 

He had big boots to fill and without doubt he’s managed to do it with ease. One of Jim’s best signings.

I'm a big fan of his quotes there, tbh. Of course it'd be better of he said he was staying, but he's made it very clear he wants to perform to the best of his abilities because it will help us as a club, and help him add £££ to his next deal. 

He's been almost immaculate for us and has earned a big move. I hope he stays, but if he doesn't, I hope he gets a monster deal somewhere.

10 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'm a big fan of his quotes there, tbh. Of course it'd be better of he said he was staying, but he's made it very clear he wants to perform to the best of his abilities because it will help us as a club, and help him add £££ to his next deal. 

He's been almost immaculate for us and has earned a big move. I hope he stays, but if he doesn't, I hope he gets a monster deal somewhere.

Good goalies can win you games and from Saturdays game as an example, he pulled off some magnificent saves as we held on to a 1-0 lead.

If the board were willing to offer McGrath the most lucrative deal in our history, I would be going out to offer Jak similar, he has already showed his worth.

Sounds like Jak will leave - because he’s been turning in great performances, is attracting interest from bigger teams, and, frankly, unless the Saudis had made a mistake and bought a team in black and white stripes from Paisley rather than Tyneside - there’s bugger all we can do to stop it.

I just need to make similar comments to those I made in the Jamie McGrath discussion - it simply doesn’t bother me anymore. You know the moment a St Mirren player starts to get a buzz about them, or stands out because the RoI awarded them caps and exposure - they’re offski. St Mirren operate in a world of constant squad churn, turnover. We will never, ever again, assemble an entire team that sticks together for any length of time. We aren’t alone in this obviously.

Celtic are a stepping stone to the EPL for their stars who shine, attract attention, get a buzz. Their fans better hope their new Japanese star Hatate calms the fcuk down and stops scoring such great goals. He’ll be scoring them for Southampton, Leeds, or West Ham in jig time. 

Lyness will become No1, we’ll bring in another goalie, we’ll carry on. Nothing to see here, move along, etc, etc.

I'm certainly happy for Lyness to be given the #1 slot if/when Alnwick moves. I think he's earned it in two ways, one showing he is a 'safe pair of hands' and secondly he has not gotten frustrated in that understudy role.

My only concern would be that it's a tough job to take over from considering we've had Alnwick and Hladky over the last few seasons who have put in performances that should have seen them play "at a bigger club".

It'll be interesting to see where Urminsky ends up. Without reserve league football, and covid hammering friendlies, you have to feel his development (like many others, of course) could have stalled.

52 minutes ago, Ric said:

It'll be interesting to see where Urminsky ends up. Without reserve league football, and covid hammering friendlies, you have to feel his development (like many others, of course) could have stalled.

MoM for Stenny at the weekend , clean sheet and penalty save !

Just now, billyg said:

MoM for Stenny at the weekend , clean sheet and penalty save !

I knew he'd gone out on loan, hadn't checked Stenny's results though. Got to say, that sounds really positive.

If Alnwick goes , there maybe a chance for Urminsky , but I think we will see a new experienced 'keeper come in. Lyness signed up knowing full well he is back up , and I think that will remain the situation. 

56 minutes ago, billyg said:

If Alnwick goes , there maybe a chance for Urminsky , but I think we will see a new experienced 'keeper come in. Lyness signed up knowing full well he is back up , and I think that will remain the situation. 

Urminsky has all the attributes of Hladky. He’ll definitely get his chance.

58 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

A lot has to be said for the coaching of Jamie Langfield. We've had a seemingly constant conveyor belt or good goalies for the last 6 or 7 years or so.

Considering Langfield himself was our #1 goalie at one point during that time frame, I'd say you're stretching it a little. He was fucking horrific.

Now that we can completely forget about relegation, where we finishing Buddies?
We have won five out of six in 2022 and have just one defeat in nine games. We are one of the form teams in the country, superb stuff.
We are now sitting sixth, just a point behind 5th and 4th, and we’ve played a game less than them. We’ve also got a game in hand on 7th and 8th and our next two games are Livi and Dundee.
It would be disappointing not to make the top six from this position that has to be our target. I think 42 points would do it, we missed out on goal difference last season after getting 40 points after 33 games. So I think we need ten points from eight games, should be very achievable if we keep this form up. Post split anything can happen and I think fourth will be available to anyone who makes the top six cut.