The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

11 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Can we all start spelling Greive's name correctly?

I before E except after G...and R.

The way to remember it is your browser is likely to think it's spelt differently, so if there is a red squiggly line then you know you have the correct spelling.

11 hours ago, AlbionSaint said:

Great win yesterday. What're the chances our run ends at home to St. Johnstone, though? That would be typical. 

It certainly would

A poor St Johnstone team in the 1983/84 season took 7 out of 8 points off us.

I remember we had a great run beating Celtic Rangers and champions Dundee Utd 4-0. An unbeaten run of 8 games until we faced rock bottom fakes who beat us 2-1 at home. They will be always to me our bogey team

On 06/02/2022 at 10:39, Coventry Saint said:

I realise playing "what if" is beyond pointless, but if just three of our 11 draws were wins, we'd be sitting fourth. And we've been terrible for long stretches. Shows how straightforward it can be to progress in this league.

Progress this season would be to go out and get the three points on Weds. Last season when it came to February we had a fixture pileup with a majority of home advantage games that we never capatilised on.

If we get 3 on Weds, I can only see us building on that.

Edited by smellthepaw

18 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Griffiths looks bound for Falkirk. Thank f**k for that.

I’ve got my doubts that he’ll perform even at that level. 

I think he’s pretty much finished. Terrible attitude major mental health issues and so much baggage. 

Quite sad really to see someone who had such talent, completely implode with his personal life and his career.

57 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I’ve got my doubts that he’ll perform even at that level. 

I think he’s pretty much finished. Terrible attitude major mental health issues and so much baggage. 

Quite sad really to see someone who had such talent, completely implode with his personal life and his career.

The old adage “Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard”. 

So many of the young Hibs stars O’Connor, Riordan and now Griffiths have all wasted their natural talent. 

I’m so glad he never ended up at Saints. 

29 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

The old adage “Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard”. 

So many of the young Hibs stars O’Connor, Riordan and now Griffiths have all wasted their natural talent. 

I’m so glad he never ended up at Saints. 

Would argue against Griffiths wasting his talent. Had a good run at it at Celtic, was a Scotland regular. Someone like Goodwillie, who flirted with Scotland, and was a rising star at United… anyway, that’s a debate for another thread I think.

Glad Griffiths doesn’t appear to be coming our way. As someone else said, I’d rather see us give an academy player a chance than a desperate looking signing like Griffiths.

20 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Would argue against Griffiths wasting his talent. Had a good run at it at Celtic, was a Scotland regular.

Through his unprofessional attitude he failed to represent his country at the first major finals since 1998. 

He should be at the peak of his career, but is currently without a top league club. Just signed for Falkirk. He likes The Bairns by all accounts.

Sorry but he has wasted a massive opportunity at this stage of his career. I do agree that he did well at Celtic, but it could be argued that his best years there were when Sevco were in the lower leagues and there was no real challenge from other clubs in the top league.

Leigh Griffiths 22caps and 4 goals for Scotland age 31.

John McGinn 42caps and 11 goals for Scotland age 27.

I rest my case.

Edited by SuperSaints1877

Yeah if Griffiths wasn’t a moron I think he would be playing mid table EPL and have 30+ goals for Scotland. He was much more talented than the likes of Goodwillie and Riordan IMO.
He is moron however, and as a direct result he’s spending what should be his peak years playing in Scottish League 1.
Thank goodness we didn’t sign him, bullet dodged.

24 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Through his unprofessional attitude he failed to represent his country at the first major finals since 1998. 

He should be at the peak of his career, but is currently without a top league club. Just signed for Falkirk. He likes The Bairns by all accounts.

Sorry but he has wasted a massive opportunity at this stage of his career. I do agree that he did well at Celtic, but it could be argued that his best years there were when Sevco were in the lower leagues and there was no real challenge from other clubs in the top league.

Leigh Griffiths 22caps and 4 goals for Scotland age 31.

John McGinn 42caps and 11 goals for Scotland age 27.

I rest my case.

Fair do’s. You make a good case m’lud. 😀

6 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Reading between the lines it looks like he'll be leaving. As usual I wouldn't like to see him at a Premiership rival but wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at Aberdeen because Lewis is pish.