The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

10 minutes ago, FTOF said:

No he wasn't.

They offered him a deal and he knocked them back.

Anyway, there's as much chance of him signing for us as me signing tomorrow and scoring the winner for us on Saturday.

Goodwin would not have him in the dressing room he has all sorts of baggage but I don't believe he is a pedo stupid yes. 

I'll be honest, unless it was a genuine emergency, I don't see the benefit of bringing Jamieson back. He'd take a while to get up to speed, there is no guarantee that level will be better than Erwin, and we have several other players in Jones and even Kiltie who can play a similar role to the one Brophy does. If we want to go a bit more agricultural then Erwin or Main will do in terms of having a presence.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

You can't recall players from loan in the same window as you loaned them out.

You can't recall a player to play for you outwith a window.

Umm not sure that's right? Did we not recall some players last window so that we could send our a reserve team against Celtic and Rangers?

6 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

Umm not sure that's right? Did we not recall some players last window so that we could send our a reserve team against Celtic and Rangers?

You didn't recall those players in the same window you loaned them out.

The SPFL broke their own rules by allowing you to recall players, as they were desperate for the games to be played. There were still doubts around Covid back then and they didn't want fixture congestion in the second half of the season. They won't break their rules because you have a striker shortage.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The SPFL broke their own rules by allowing you to recall players, as they were desperate for the games to be played. There were still doubts around Covid back then and they didn't want fixture congestion in the second half of the season. They won't break their rules because you have a striker shortage.

How can they stop it without admitting that they broke the rules.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Development loans not different I thought?

8 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

What?

The rules are there, you break them then you face consequences. They allowed you to break them to allow the game go ahead.

They won't do that for a striker shortage.

Edited by RandomGuy.

3 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

What?

The rules are there, you break them then you face consequences. They broke them to allow the game go ahead.

Are you expecting them to punish themselves for breaking rules they control or something?

I assume we ARE looking at free agent strikers.

And at some point will be trying to do a deal with one of their agents.

If that is the case surely it's better that their agent thinks we have other irons in the fire.

Jim not publicly ruling out Griffiths - even if he knows he'll never sign him in a million years - won't do us any harm when it comes to negotiations with who we DO want to sign.

57 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Goodwillie will be free soon. Seriously I would have Griffiths over many of the duds we have previously signed. Get him motivated and he is a player. Yes he has baggage but as do some of our old strikers such as McAvennie or basher

Lavety was a 19 year old guy who took a couple of party pills with his pals. 

Griffiths was a 30 year old man, messaging an underage girl, using his status as a Celtic player in the hope she'd send him photos of her. I think we can all guess what type of photos he was after. Whilst what he did might not have reached the threshold for a crime, he should be no where near St Mirren. 

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

Goodwillie will be free soon. Seriously I would have Griffiths over many of the duds we have previously signed. Get him motivated and he is a player. Yes he has baggage but as do some of our old strikers such as McAvennie or basher

Horrendous take.

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

He’s had two seasons to get himself motivated.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

He’s had two seasons to get himself motivated.

We might just be the club to get him scoring again. 

For what Its worth I dont see him coming to us but if he signs I would give him backing like anyone who wears our strip

4 minutes ago, AW saint said:

We might just be the club to get him scoring again. 

…and I might score a date at the weekend wae’ Kylie Minogue, Kate Bryan fae’ the ‘Portrait Artist of the Year’ shows, and Christina Trevanion fae’ the ‘Antiques’ type shows….

Back in the real world however,