The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Wigan is a very decent move for McGrath, with the way things are going they'll be in the Championship before you know. I'm sure he will go on to have a great club and international career and will owe some of that to Goodwin. He did Saints a turn, Saints did him a turn. Transfer has been an absolute saga ever since interest was shown. 

Good window all in all. Assuming McGrath away and Gogic in, Jones replaces McGrath and Gogic sits alongside Power, which is an upgrade on Ethan and his daft moments. If we can get the lad Bowie that would be more than decent as a Brophy back up/alternative. Keeps the bench dross on the bench.

3 minutes ago, scam75 said:

Good window all in all. Assuming McGrath away and Gogic in, Jones replaces McGrath and Gogic sits alongside Power, which is an upgrade on Ethan and his daft moments. If we can get the lad Bowie that would be more than decent as a Brophy back up/alternative. Keeps the bench dross on the bench.

Plus we've got Alex Greive as another attacking option. 

Edited by Munoz

Plus we've got Alex Greive as another attacking option. 
It speaks volumes about the other strikers that Greive has had game time. The kid looks lively, quick and spacially aware, but needs to be more physical and get up to speed in our league. A few games for NZ won't hurt.

One for the future, near future hopefully as options other than Brophy amount to the square root of f all [emoji854]

McGrath is a really good player and I rate him highly but at the moment its about this season and climbing the league to as high a position as possible which will be a tad harder without him.  However , he would be gone in the summer for nothing so we save on his wages now and get £100K or we get nothing in the summer.  Jim has swallowed his pride and reverted to 4 at the back which has stopped us leaking goals , he is playing what is effectively a 4-3-2 -1 which in my opinion suits the players we have.   Power and Gogic as the midfield enforcers with Gogic having the better engine, Ronan floating, Kiltie or Jones or Henderson providing pace and mobility in support of Brophy .  Erahon , Tanser and Millar can cover for Power or Gogic or maybe replace Power and Ronan when their deals/loans are up and we have McCarthy , Tait and possibly Tanser as cover at the back  - Better balanced and possibility of more attacking play. 

I am not saying that £100k is a great deal but Jim needed pace and needed someone that has experienced the SPFL and has done well before  - Wigan had that player we needed for this season and paid £100K in addition , benefit being us not having to face McGrath in a Hibs or Aberdeen jersey when we may need points from them and we know what he is capable of!!!    If Jones does well for us during his 6 months and we gain top 6 we get money from that so good business I think .  This will give Grieve time to settle in and learn in the league 

Now we need to get rid of Main, Erwin and Dennis who to me have been a waste of money and time.  Our whole game changed with the signing of Main and we went from a passing , good to watch football team to a kick and rush team, hopefully we get back to that pleasing on the eye football team that are dangerous to play against at any time.   Defenders fear and hate pace and cant relax when its around, without pace defenders are happy to push up which pushes you back .................look at Hibs without Boyle , thats all they had and now its gone