The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

13 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

STV saying we have Alex Grieve a 22yo striker from NZ on trial

Was NZ Northern National League MVP for 2021.

Looks like P&D standard down at The Racecourse.:lol:

He must be cheap.

Edited by FTOF

9 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Nothing wrong with having a look at the lad. If he's not up to the standard, I don't imagine he'll be signed. 

Why not have a look at the boy in training, absolutely nothing to lose. We already have two amateur strikers on the books with Main & Erwin.

26 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Can't see why people would be upset with us looking at this lad. There are hidden gems out there and if he is a decent prospect then we have nothing to lose. 

Indeed.

The guy is an easy target to vent frustration upon.

Although we could sign the hottest talent in the game and some of our support would find a way to moan about it.

Edited by FTOF

1 hour ago, elvis said:

There an Amateur team for fucksake only fucking St Mirren would look at an Amateur player be as well going down the race course for fucksake.

Did you have the same thoughts when Frank McAveney signed  and other players who signed from the juniors.  Its a trial if he is good enough he will be offered a deal if not he won't. No harm in looking. 

25 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Did you have the same thoughts when Frank McAveney signed  and other players who signed from the juniors.  Its a trial if he is good enough he will be offered a deal if not he won't. No harm in looking. 

Elvis was a Celtic fan back then, so I doubt it.

No harm to the lad but this is desperate. I hope he is a good player but he’s hardly what we need at present. The fact nobody wants our fringe players at present is a worry. We need to trim this squad and inject some pace and general ability soon. 

Edited by Norrie82

I could be wrong, but do New Zealand not only have one professional football team? I suppose it might not be that easy over there to break through and there may be some decent players left behind in the amateurs and semi pros. Anyway, it's just a trial, it's really hard to see the harm, though I suppose it should never really be a surprise these days just how utterly fucking pathetic our fans can be.

This guy might be a prospect, he might be worth a look. If we actually were just trying to sign some amateur-standard jobber, then dragging one across from the other side of the world seems a needlessly complicated way of doing things.

We've obviously been tracking him for some time, so feel he's worth the effort. Either way, it's certainly not worth a huge meltdown over.

24 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

We have signed full internationalists who have played at the top level who were shite. Give the young guy a break. I doubt that Jim is thinking of sticking him straight into the first team anyway.

It's just a reflection of the general anxiety levels about at the moment, but people really have lost their heads.

55 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

It's just a reflection of the general anxiety levels about at the moment, but people really have lost their heads.

My fear is that there's so much pressure on us to sign someone, that we'll sign anyone and tie up another wage. I literally saw a Tweet, which was clearly not serious, but which stated (paraphrasing, btw) "Pleeease! Just sign someone. Anyone!" My fear is that's exactly what we're doing.