The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

13 hours ago, Norrie82 said:

Is sir Alex in our hall of fame ?

No. Not sure if its the way his tenure came to an end. I would like to think the club would offer Sir Alex a place in the HoF and he would be accepting of it. Different people at the club now that he may have had issues with back then.

Who made the decision on Sutton? 100+ games, sure, but I don't think I'd heard anyone push his name for it.

Maybe there was a lot of chat within SMISA but I think it's the first time he's been mentioned in connection with our HoF in this thread.

Also, what's the thinking regarding McGrath. Aberdeen are clearly happy to wait, and I've go no idea what price we stated in order to sign him now, but any dealing now must see a reduction in that. We saw with Brophy/Killie last season that in the end the manager would rather free up a wage and get a little money than have a player that is definitely moving on at the end of the season. With us in that "killie role" this time, do we think Goodwin and/or the board will push for something, allowing McGrath to move in this window?

Billy Thomson and Iain Munro should both be in the HoF. The two highest capped Scotland players, with 7 caps each, while at St Mirren.

And it would be useful if the OS provided a list of HoF entries. The only list I can find is not up to date.

And both played far more games for St Mirren than Sutton ever did.

Edited by NorthBank

12 minutes ago, Ric said:

Who made the decision on Sutton? 100+ games, sure, but I don't think I'd heard anyone push his name for it.

Maybe there was a lot of chat within SMISA but I think it's the first time he's been mentioned in connection with our HoF in this thread.

I'm not 100% sure, though he had a decent goal return and had two medals to his name over two periods at the club. Played in 2 cup final (winning 1) and won 1 championship medal.

It's possibly hitting the 100 games milestone and honours to go with it.

4 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

I'm not 100% sure, though he had a decent goal return and had two medals to his name over two periods at the club. Played in 2 cup final (winning 1) and won 1 championship medal.

Yeah, I mean it's not like he shouldn't be considered just on his playing stats.

As others have mentioned though, his... "personal choices during this pandemic" ..may not make him the most appropriate candidate, certainly not at this time.

12 minutes ago, Ric said:

Also, what's the thinking regarding McGrath. Aberdeen are clearly happy to wait, and I've go no idea what price we stated in order to sign him now, but any dealing now must see a reduction in that. We saw with Brophy/Killie last season that in the end the manager would rather free up a wage and get a little money than have a player that is definitely moving on at the end of the season. With us in that "killie role" this time, do we think Goodwin and/or the board will push for something, allowing McGrath to move in this window?

I don't think we'd pay a fee unless Blackburn pay us a fee to get Hedges early. Not itk, just guessing. 

12 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I don't think we'd pay a fee unless Blackburn pay us a fee to get Hedges early. Not itk, just guessing. 

I was thinking more along the same lines as Brophy with us, he ended up being loaned out to us yet the noises coming out from Killie at the time were, he's our player he's not going anywhere. Now, you'll need to check with Killie fans if this was just part of the game to raise any money paid for a loan.

If McGrath was loaned, it would give us more room in our budget but I feel Goodwin may push for a reciprocal loan if that was the case.

31 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

He actually won two “championship” medals. 2005/06 and 2017/18. 

Edited by SuperSaints1877

15 hours ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Agreed.

Billy Thomson and Iain Munro each won a club record 7 international caps and Anglo Scottish Cup plus European football. 

There's definitely a lot of recency bias in the ones to make it in the last few years. John Potter FFS. Sutton did make a big contribution over his four years and I loved him as a player but not 100 per cent sure he should be in.

Personally I'd like to see teams that won trophies be put in as a whole, as has happened with the very first team. Any manager who won a trophy with us should also be there too.

11 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

That would be the final nail in the coffin for me . Would give up all my ties with the club . Used to go to the football with BillyG and Co, remember Billy some great times. Only tie left in Paisley for me is Saints wonder how this will play out season ticket, SMISA, SMTV, Car parking . 

And now, retiring for the fifth and final time...

Is this hall of fame a new thing? Is it an actual hall? Where is it, and who decides who gets in it?
Load of shite IMO, get rid of it.
Did like big Sutton as a player right enough. Huge in our double winning season of 05/06 and the survival against the odds that followed.

9 minutes ago, Lex said:

Is this hall of fame a new thing? Is it an actual hall?

I've not paid any attention to it, I appreciate that people like important players "immortalised", but I doubt I'd visit it if it was an actual physical location.

However, I had thought this was something set up when we moved to the new stadium. I could be well wrong here, but I have it in my mind connected to the "buy a brick" stuff as well.

It's definitely not a new thing, it was running well before we left Love Street. There isn't a physical hall as such but there are panels up around the ground which you'll probably have seen. @pozbaird can fill you in on how long it takes to update them...

I think this list of who is in is relatively up to date: http://www.stmirren.info/id318.html I really hope Campbell Money only got in because he's our top-scoring goalkeeper.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

It's definitely not a new thing, it was running well before we left Love Street. There isn't a physical hall as such but there are panels up around the ground which you'll probably have seen. @pozbaird can fill you in on how long it takes to update them...

I think this list of who is in is relatively up to date: http://www.stmirren.info/id318.html I really hope Campbell Money only got in because he's our top-scoring goalkeeper.

Its been running since the move to Greenhill Road. There is a wall of inductees in one of the exec rooms up until a certain point. When Carbrini were a sponsor, the inductees were then added as panels around the stadium underneath each of the three home stands. They were then recreated once the sponsorship with Carbrini ended due to their branding on them. They were last updated last around early 2019, then the pandemic kicked in and there has been a pause on it till now.

2 hours ago, Ric said:

I had thought this was something set up when we moved to the new stadium.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

It's definitely not a new thing, it was running well before we left Love Street.

9 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

Its been running since the move to Greenhill Road.

@Stu ... ;) 

Edited by Ric

21 minutes ago, Ric said:

@Stu ... ;) 

The boards may only have been up since we moved ground but the concept of a hall of fame pre-dates the move by about five years, which is why the link I posted shows people being inducted in 2004.

So ;) yourself 😛

Edited by Stu

Just now, Stu said:

The boards may only have been up since we moved ground but the concept of a hall of fame pre-dates the move by about five years, which is why the link I posted shows people being inducted by five years.

Heh... I'll be honest, either of you could be right and I would be none the wiser.

Just having a bit of a laugh with the quoting, that's all .. :)