The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

29 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

There’s a reason why Stubbs will never manage again. The  way he embarrassed himself on Twitter arguing with fans after making a monumental c**t of himself masquerading as  our manager, renders him a total cock.

Dont know where to start with his signings.

Perhaps I was harsh on Craig, he was an internal promotion that was just (for me) a bad decision. When it went Pete Tong he didn't spend the following years denigrating the club.

Stubbs? Well... I know he's a legend at Hibs, but yeah.... oooft!

Edited by Ric

30 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

There’s a reason why Stubbs will never manage again. The  way he embarrassed himself on Twitter arguing with fans after making a monumental c**t of himself masquerading as  our manager, renders him a total cock.

Dont know where to start with his signings.

I genuinely believe Stubbs was a bad guy who fucked us over on purpose.

3 minutes ago, GAD said:

I genuinely believe Stubbs was a bad guy who fucked us over on purpose.

I have to agree, I didn’t think it possible for someone to make such a mess of the job. He inherited what was effectively a successful championship winning squad. We only required some quality upgrades for the step up. He dismantled a good squad and replaced them with sub standard jobbers from Non league English teams.

He did a similar job at Rotherham. A man with little or no self awareness. The very epitome of the p***ks p***k in managerial terms.

57 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I give up. Amazing what happens to your brain when you look back at some of that dross.

I think the early 00's under Coughlin would put these teams to shame right enough. 

It's fucking frightening where we could have ended up with the amount of utter shite players we had, plus two of the worst managers on the planet we've had in charge of the club.

The financial cost must have been horrendous too. Particularly galling when a lot of it was probably used to pay off a succession of useless clowns.

Edited by FTOF

25 minutes ago, Ric said:

Perhaps I was harsh on Craig, he was an internal promotion that was just (for me) a bad decision. When it went Pete Tong he didn't spend the following years denigrating the club.

Stubbs? Well... I know he's a legend at Hibs, but yeah.... oooft!

I played football for one of Craig's family members at the time. He was adamant he'd been given a rough deal and shouldn't have been punted. I never paid too much attention.

How bad was he?

9 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I played football for one of Craig's family members at the time. He was adamant he'd been given a rough deal and shouldn't have been punted. I never paid too much attention.

How bad was he?

Not as bad as the useless cunt St***s.

Although every single one of his signings were shite.

Edited by FTOF

7 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

He was adamant he'd been given a rough deal and shouldn't have been punted. I never paid too much attention.

"He" as in Tommy or "he" as in one of his family members?

In all honesty, I can't think of any manager that has been sacked that hasn't felt like they've had a raw deal. I think most accept he was a very decent coach with us, after all we won a cup when he was, but he just lacked something as a manager. He'd had a rotten run too, and we were sitting bottom, it wasn't as if there was no reason for it.

I'll sidestep the whole Lennon sacking thing, which led to Craig's appointment.

In short? Wrong person, wrong time.

However, as I say, he didn't pop onto Sportsound with his mates and actively talk down St Mirren.

2 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Has anyone ever heard anything about Craig since he left us?

It's almost as if he's disappeared off the planet.

Just checked Wiki, it has him at Kilmarnock from 2022 for some reason. No idea if that is someone's cheeky edit of if he's part of McInnes' staff.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

"He" as in Tommy or "he" as in one of his family members?

In all honesty, I can't think of any manager that has been sacked that hasn't felt like they've had a raw deal. I think most accept he was a very decent coach with us, after all we won a cup when he was, but he just lacked something as a manager. He'd had a rotten run too, and we were sitting bottom, it wasn't as if there was no reason for it.

I'll sidestep the whole Lennon sacking thing, which led to Craig's appointment.

In short? Wrong person, wrong time.

However, as I say, he didn't pop onto Sportsound with his mates and actively talk down St Mirren.

The family member. I've never spoken to Tommy.

7 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Has anyone ever heard anything about Craig since he left us?

It's almost as if he's disappeared off the planet.

Amazing that he made such a horrendous c**t of the job and is still not in the top 3 most hated St. Mirren managers of all time.

It would take quite the b*****d to dislodge Rae, Stubbs and Hay.

Stubbs is the worst though, Rae was a dickhead and shite but he at least had a decent first season and started from a position of shite. Stubbs took a successful team ripped it apart, spent £75k on a legitimate public park footballer and got Darren Jackson gainful employment with St. Mirren FC. 

What a b*****d.

33 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I have to agree, I didn’t think it possible for someone to make such a mess of the job. He inherited what was effectively a successful championship winning squad. We only required some quality upgrades for the step up. He dismantled a good squad and replaced them with sub standard jobbers from Non league English teams.

He did a similar job at Rotherham. A man with little or no self awareness. The very epitome of the p***ks p***k in managerial terms.

I agree that Stubbs signings were atrocious and he certainly destroyed the good feeling at the club at that time - however I think you underestimate the scale of the building job required - though to be fair that's with the benefit of hindsight. However, the likes of Baird, McShane, Smith and Reilly have shown over the last few years they weren't good enough to make the step up, Morgan had left and the likes of Samson, Eckersley and MacKenzie were past it. 

We probably needed to bring 7 or 8 SPL quality players in that summer, and ended up with Heaton, Kpekewa and King. 

Tommy was a coach at some big teams so he must have been highly thought of, but he’d never been a success as a manager which is why giving him the job, then giving him a two year contract when he’d probably have signed a one year contract was madness. He shouldn’t feel hard done by, we boosted his pension which presumably is what he’s doing now, i.e. retired. 

Shall we resurrect the rumour that Stubbs bought Heaton so he could wangle something for his son elsewhere?

It was dubious at the time, and I'll be honest I don't remember the exact claims being made. I think the heaviest evidence against him was that Heaton was not actually a footballer, but like a part time fireman who plays a bit of amateur Sunday league and Stubbs handed over wads (St Mirren sized wads, mind, but wads none the less) of cash for the imposter.