The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

So this is fun...

..usually Goodwin gets his players in as early as possible. This can leave us watching with interest as other teams catch up and we wonder if Goodwin made the best choice by doing business early. Seems like it'll be the reverse for this window. We've already seen Livi and St Johnstone bring players in.

I know it's only the first week of the window, but looking back, Goodwin had either identified players and been public about it, or had brought them in at the earliest possible time.

19 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

If he can go to England he will, but like in the summer that might not pan out.

I have a mental image of his agent working his way north on deadline day in August - Sheffield United fell through so he hopped up the M1/A1//A19 to try Boro... they pulled out so he just headed north until someone seemed interested. With that strategy in mind, Aberdeen were perhaps inevitable.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if Hibs come back in with a similar deal to what they offered in August (cash plus players) unless they have blown the budget on the Norwegian boy. Seems like it was close to a goer at the time though window shut before it could get over the line. I suppose that would also depend on if Maloney rates him and he has control over transfers in.
I think if there is genuine interest from England again this window and those clubs offer cash to us, thats where he will end up. He's at a perfect age to move and he could hinder a future move if he has a couple of poor seasons staying in Scotland.

2 hours ago, Ric said:

So this is fun...

..usually Goodwin gets his players in as early as possible.

Yeah, we're going to be feeding off scraps. We need to move players on before anyone comes in, and Goodwin said he was largely happy with the squad. I'm not sensing massive urgency to do business, tbh.

I'm just hoping 'we need pace' isn't just code for 'we're bringing in some unknown young lad on loan from a Premier League team's reserves who'll play three games and find he's out of this depth... but he is really pacey.'

With the winter break we have time on our side to bring players in. I doubt we were looking at the likes of Cifti etc. I suppose we will have our targets I just hope they are good enough. Does Jim know what he is doing and is he being backed only time will tell. 

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yeah, we're going to be feeding off scraps. We need to move players on before anyone comes in, and Goodwin said he was largely happy with the squad. I'm not sensing massive urgency to do business, tbh.

I'm just hoping 'we need pace' isn't just code for 'we're bringing in some unknown young lad on loan from a Premier League team's reserves who'll play three games and find he's out of this depth... but he is really pacey.'

It's not always feeding off scraps to be honest, it's a balance, there are plenty of good players that become available, or at least more available to teams like St Mirren as the window goes on. Getting everyone in straight away may mean you miss out on someone you'd have liked to have had later on.

22 minutes ago, GAD said:

It's not always feeding off scraps to be honest, it's a balance, there are plenty of good players that become available, or at least more available to teams like St Mirren as the window goes on. Getting everyone in straight away may mean you miss out on someone you'd have liked to have had later on.

Theres that and I reckon our hands are tied until we can move some players on tbh.

Might work out well in our favour, but as we all know, Goodwin likes to be organised. Problem is the january window is a nightmare. Most targets will be guys not wanted at their current club or just returning from injury.

3 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Theres that and I reckon our hands are tied until we can move some players on tbh.

Might work out well in our favour, but as we all know, Goodwin likes to be organised. Problem is the january window is a nightmare. Most targets will be guys not wanted at their current club or just returning from injury.

Yeah, I've been trying to think if big successes we've picked up in January over the past few seasons, and to be honest, I can think of a few with McGinn, Loy, Davies, Eckersley, Hladky, Popescu, Ross Wallace, Famewo, McGrath and McCarthy.

Been a fair few shiters as well mind you.

23 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Arbroath seem to have much better luck with young strikers on loan than anything else. 

Could maybe see a return to Killie but McInnes will have seen enough to know what hes getting, which is bad for us. 

Seems to be a vicious cycle for us, signing these strikers that can't score on decent length contracts and we spend most of the time counting the months down till they can be released or papped off to another team.

Funny that. Was just coming on to ask if Erwin was still kicking a baw. 

Just lost our 2 strikers there and someone like Erwin would fit the profile 

9 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Trust me, almost every St Mirren fan thinks he fits your profile too!

It's not that he's bad, he's just very ineffective at this level.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Can we give you Erwin, Dennis and Main. All three would benefit from your managers ‘direct’ communication style.

I really liked Erwin, even when he went to the Well and on to Leeds and Killie etc always thought there was something there but he’s had an underwhelming career

Big guy, wee bit about him, reckon DC could get a tune out of him. Would like to see us try and get him or Connor Shields in. That kind of player. 

But this is me just thinking off the cuff I’ve no idea what the bunnet has planned 

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I think he’d be ideal in the championship if he’s playing regular. He does have a tendency to look like a big shitebag at times, but he might benefit from regular game time in a team playing with confidence.

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I would play Erwin before Main. He certainly has been poor for us although he hasn't had the amount of chances that Main has had. And Lee has cored 2 goals in the League for us. 2 more than Main.

Erwin left RC as he didn't want to live in the North East as his family are near Glasgow so that may be a problem.

55 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

I would play Erwin before Main. He certainly has been poor for us although he hasn't had the amount of chances that Main has had. And Lee has cored 2 goals in the League for us. 2 more than Main.

Erwin left RC as he didn't want to live in the North East as his family are near Glasgow so that may be a problem.

We train in Perth. Most of our players from Edinburgh or Glasgow. We even have a player from Ardrossan who’s been with us for nearly 10 years. RC a wee bit away from the North East too mate 😂

But yeah there is absolutely nothing to this I’ve not heard anything or whatever just just thinking of names 😂

3 hours ago, AW saint said:

I like the business Hibs are doing so far. Hope they would let us get Scott Allan off of them.

Fancied Maloney as his own man for a good few years now given what his analysis on Sportscene  plus assistant manager for Belgum.  Given our wee Celtic aurora maybe we will sign a couple  players from Hibs. 

8 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Fancied Maloney as his own man for a good few years now given what his analysis on Sportscene  plus assistant manager for Belgum.  Given our wee Celtic aurora maybe we will sign a couple  players from Hibs. 

What’s with all the Celtic patter at mindnight?