The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 minute ago, ford prefect said:

You're just being a dick here. You know what he's meaning, it's not a slight on McGrath, it's just stating the inescapable truth that both of these players cannot play in the same team.  We tried to preempt McGrath leaving and now instead of having someone who can enhance our team along with McGrath, we're left trying to justify the signing of someone who was meant to replace him.

If we play 4-2-3-1 they could both play in the same team, Kiltie on the left and McGrath through the middle.

1 minute ago, ford prefect said:

You're just being a dick here. You know what he's meaning, it's not a slight on McGrath, it's just stating the inescapable truth that both of these players cannot play in the same team.  We tried to preempt McGrath leaving and now instead of having someone who can enhance our team along with McGrath, we're left trying to justify the signing of someone who was meant to replace him.

Thankfully the poster I replied to knew I was being tongue in cheek.

Ronan looks a good signing, Jamie staying is good news if it happens and there’s still time yet to bring in a winger.

Let’s not wet our pants just yet. 

5 minutes ago, Hendo said:

If we play 4-2-3-1 they could both play in the same team, Kiltie on the left and McGrath through the middle.

Would also suit Jay Henderson more…and a resurrection for Kyle?

Why exactly. Most teams play with more than 1 attacking midfielder so no idea why you seem to be saying it's "inescapable true" that we cant. I don't ever remember watching Kiltie last season and thinking he played anything like the same roll as McGrath did for us. If the boy from Wolves can do the JDH roll and get us going from deep to stop the centre backs playing long balls towards wing backs then we can get playing through midfield. That will help Kiltie, McGrath or anyone else playing attacking mid.

10 minutes ago, Div said:

Thankfully the poster I replied to knew I was being tongue in cheek.

Ronan looks a good signing, Jamie staying is good news if it happens and there’s still time yet to bring in a winger.

Let’s not wet our pants just yet. 

Fair enough mate, I'm just tired. Time for bed. Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and we'll have signed a couple of players who'll make all the difference! COYS!

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
17 minutes ago, ford prefect said:

Why exactly. Most teams play with more than 1 attacking midfielder so no idea why you seem to be saying it's "inescapable true" that we cant. I don't ever remember watching Kiltie last season and thinking he played anything like the same roll as McGrath did for us. If the boy from Wolves can do the JDH roll and get us going from deep to stop the centre backs playing long balls towards wing backs then we can get playing through midfield. That will help Kiltie, McGrath or anyone else playing attacking mid.

I'd just be happy if this lad Ronan did a good impression of a box to box midfielder.

JDH had the potential to do this at first but sadly was left floundering as we stifled him more and more by asking him to knock 5 yard passes sideways and never move more than 10 yards from the centre halves.

I say it every time but I want a Steven Thomson type of midfielder. High energy and competent in both boxes.

A 4-2-3-1 would work perfectly with what we have, maybe except left back - we’ve all heard (maybe even witnessed) that Tanser is more of a wing back, less good defensively, etc.

Alnwick

Fraser Shaughnessy McCarthy/Dunne Tanser

Power Erhahon/Ronan

Henderson/TBC McGrath Kiltie

Brophy/Main

I just go back to last season when we were pretty decent.

Main for me is better than Obika. Not much in it but he's better IMHO.
Tanser is better than Mason.
If Ronan can play fill the hole left by JDH then that's a big plus.
Just leaves the void left by Durmus/Connolly not being there.

If we get Kennedy for example in, then I think you could argue we're better off squad wise than last season.

Durmus could be good but he was also capable of being absolutely stinking at times, let's not forget that. You can definitely say the same about Connolly too.

Just now, Norrie82 said:

Main better than Obika ? Not for me 

I think Main has been decent the games I've seen. His finishing could be better but I think that will come. His hold up play is miles better than the Obika of last season IMHO.

Still think him and Brophy is a partnership that could work.