The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

9 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Feel free to call me a knicker wetter, but I'm sort of concerned about McGrath going being a Kenny McLean type moment. 

Did Kenny not go in the January window?

Do hope whatever happens RE league positions after this, we got a bigger transfer fee - and a sell on - than we did with McLean.

I promise this isn't some classic badmouthing of a player now that he's leaving, but I'm surprised McGrath has managed to get a move to the Championship off the back of one good season up here. League One I could have seen but a decent Championship side I couldn't.

Hopefully he goes down there and does well and it doesn't prove to be as bad as when guys like Dorman and Mallan made the switch.

Do we get to laugh at all those Dundalk fans now who couldn't understand why he came to us?

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

I promise this isn't some classic badmouthing of a player now that he's leaving, but I'm surprised McGrath has managed to get a move to the Championship off the back of one good season up here. League One I could have seen but a decent Championship side I couldn't.

Hopefully he goes down there and does well and it doesn't prove to be as bad as when guys like Dorman and Mallan made the switch.

Do we get to laugh at all those Dundalk fans now who couldn't understand why he came to us?

McGrath has what I would call a natural footballer these type of players don't come along often. McGrath has a big future in the game so no surprise to me for sure he can play in the English championship. 

14 minutes ago, Stu said:

Depends which way you frame it, I guess. You could also say they clearly had a point and that he was too good for us... But yes, we get the benefit of the transfer fee because we took the risk on him.

Hopefully we can get some help in for the team but why does it need to drag out till the final hours of the window? I can only guess there are traffic jams all over the UK with footballers making a ‘mad dash’ to sign for a new team before the window ‘slams shut’ 😛

2 minutes ago, Torfason said:

Hopefully we can get some help in for the team but why does it need to drag out till the final hours of the window? I can only guess there are traffic jams all over the UK with footballers making a ‘mad dash’ to sign for a new team before the window ‘slams shut’ 😛

You're a bit behind the times there mate: it's all done by fax machine nowadays.

IMG_6379.thumb.jpg.9f1e66f0847342eb7450a84dfbf93323.jpg
Looks a good singing on paper, even if his names appear to be the wrong way around. 30 games in the Swiss top flight last year, I’m sure that’s a better standard than our league so he won’t be out of place. Hopefully Jim’s found us yet another Irish emerald.

2 minutes ago, Lex said:

Looks a good singing on paper, even if his names appear to be the wrong way around. 30 games in the Swiss top flight last year, I’m sure that’s a better standard than our league so he won’t be out of place.

As has already been, pointed out, it was in the Swiss second tier. Although they did win it.

Edited by FTOF

IMG_6379.thumb.jpg.9f1e66f0847342eb7450a84dfbf93323.jpg
Looks a good singing on paper, even if his names appear to be the wrong way around. 30 games in the Swiss top flight last year, I’m sure that’s a better standard than our league so he won’t be out of place. Hopefully Jim’s found us yet another Irish emerald.
It was the Swiss 2nd tier, which I doubt is a better standard than the Premiership.

3 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

He might "like" to score as many goals as possible, but a total of one goal in 28 games , suggests that the reality may be somewhat different.

Still, with McGrath away, Brophy should score more goals............................................

45 minutes ago, Stu said:

I saw a Hibs fan on Twitter joking about how it'll be good experience for him before signing on loan for them in January, and, well, yeah, maybe.

9 minutes ago, GAD said:

I saw a Hibs fan on Twitter joking about how it'll be good experience for him before signing on loan for them in January, and, well, yeah, maybe.

Those Hibs fans and their funny, funny jokes. 🙁

It does seem this guy's a replacement for McGrath based on the language being used there, which means I can't make any sense of the signing of Kiltie.

I assumed Ronan would be the new JDH, which would have made far more sense.

Anyway, I'll wait till I've seen him play to work out how badly we're misusing him.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

Aye, being released, he probably is open to a return. Would he be open to our wage structure though, considering we'd be covering his whole wage this time round.

Our main concern would be protecting him from the racists who abused him while he was at Hearts.