The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

9 hours ago, Norrie82 said:

300k - dearie me what’s the point . McGrath a top operator and Irish international being sold for 300k. Last year or not that represents a really poor deal .  I do wish the bullshit rhetoric from the management about not selling on the cheap would just stop. We always lose our best players for a pittance and 300k for a full international is a steal for a club like Middlesbrough who’s training ground is worth more than our whole club

Don’t get too wound up about £300k, that is purely a guess on my part, I don’t have a clue what Boro have offered. We’ve knocked back a good few bids already so maybe it will be more than I think.

We aren’t in a great bargaining position though since he only has a year left of his deal and we will get nothing next Summer.

If he goes for a few hundred grand and that allows us to bring in 3 or 4 new players in key positions though, it would (in my opinion) probably be worth the sacrifice as I’m not massively convinced we are equipped to avoid a relegation fight as things stand even with Jamie in there.

Having said that, We’ve only really lost JDH and Durmus (and I guess Connolly as an impact sub) from the squad that performed so well last season, and we’ve improved in other areas (Main for me is an upgrade on Obika and Tanser has been very good so far).

I don’t think we’re a million miles away, but we do urgently need pace, width and someone to link middle to front like JDH did. If we can get those missing holes filled it could transform this team.

If we don’t address those issues though we are going to continue to struggle. 

Big day ahead for us.

The boy Ronan did his Metatarsal in May this year. He has played a very good level for a couple of clubs on loan, so he is better equipped for first team football than most other players we have signed on loan from that level in the past.

With regards to McGrath, you would like to think whatever the fee is, there is some sort of international apps and other milestones included as add-ons.

I personally don't think we would have dropped as low as 300k, as we knocked similar back for Morgan in the summer transfer window a few seasons ago, when we were in a less financially stable position. 

It’s worthwhile to consider we paid Dundalk about 50K for McGrath, so if we get anything like 500K for him then that’s good business. 

Priority is to strengthen the team with some good quality wingers with a bit more pace than we currently have. 

Big day ahead for the manager.

36 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

It’s worthwhile to consider we paid Dundalk about 50K for McGrath, so if we get anything like 500K for him then that’s good business. 

Priority is to strengthen the team with some good quality wingers with a bit more pace than we currently have. 

Big day ahead for the manager.

Thought we signed McGrath on a free?

4 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I thought we paid 40 or 50 K for him, I could be wrong.  Maybe it was McCarthy we paid a fee for.

Both were out of contract so on frees. I also don't know if we'd have even paid a development fee on McCarthy as the transfer was cross-border.

14 hours ago, Norrie82 said:

Club desperate to get Jamie sold. Sadly we all knew he’d go. Absolutely nailed on undisclosed in the media which means 300k tops. The contingency will be interesting? I feel a tad sad that we will lose our star man and replace him with a loanee who will likely be nowhere near as good too. Anyhow the team is in trouble  as they don’t score goals nor do they look like scoring from open play. Second half yesterday was terrible. 

We've scored in all our league games this season; including with 10 men at Celtic Park.

It's not the fault of the players that the officials fecked things up.

MacPherson doesn't seem to feature in Goodwin's plans so from that side of things loaning him out makes sense. However, I can't seem him getting much more game time at County than he would here and we shouldn't be giving him to another Premiership club, especially as we'll probably be fighting them for relegation. Sending him to a Championship side where he'd probably be playing every week would make more sense.

Does anyone know why neither Kiltie or McAllister was on the bench on Sunday? Is the latter now out of the picture too - I know Goodwin said he doesn't fit in his system (which isn't exactly working at the moment) but you'd surely at least have him as a sub if fit.

It won't happen but given the mood at the moment and the imminent departure of our best player, the club could do worse than re-signing Isma on a short term deal to lift the spirits.

12 minutes ago, Stu said:

MacPherson doesn't seem to feature in Goodwin's plans so from that side of things loaning him out makes sense. However, I can't seem him getting much more game time at County than he would here and we shouldn't be giving him to another Premiership club, especially as we'll probably be fighting them for relegation. Sending him to a Championship side where he'd probably be playing every week would make more sense.

Does anyone know why neither Kiltie or McAllister was on the bench on Sunday? Is the latter now out of the picture too - I know Goodwin said he doesn't fit in his system (which isn't exactly working at the moment) but you'd surely at least have him as a sub if fit.

It won't happen but given the mood at the moment and the imminent departure of our best player, the club could do worse than re-signing Isma on a short term deal to lift the spirits.

Isma would be the business

21 minutes ago, Stu said:

Goodwin said Kiltie got a knock in training might be out 3 or 4 weeks

26 minutes ago, greenock saint said:

Goodwin said Kiltie got a knock in training might be out 3 or 4 weeks

I still think McAllister's best position is number 10. If we're sticking with the same system, I hope we don't let him go, especially if Kiltie is out for a bit now.

Seems strange we are trying to move on McPherson when we have two central midfielders suspended for the next game. 

I really hope we are trying to get rid of Erwin and Dennis. Both utter shite. 

Edited by Silvio