The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

That £20k a week on Brophy and combined £13k a week to Tanser and Kiltie not looking so smart now I see.

Not sure where you heard £13k was a combined figure. That’s just Tanser’s basic.

6 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

This . Where do wingers (pacy or otherwise) fit into the current formation ?

Oh and spot on about Connolly. He was basically a fast runner with a ball sometimes going with him, not getting all the "missing Connolly" rhetoric. Durmus on the other hand is a bigger loss imo than many realise.

I said as much after his first game. Have to give him his due though , he was instrumental in our victories over the Scum last year , with an assist in both games. We're not missing Connolly though , we're missing pace throughout the side !

Connolly kept full backs and wing backs from coming up the field as none could catch him and he created space in the middle by drawing out defenders. But we never had a striker that could take advantage of that. And Connolly could pass the ball into the box unlike every other wide player we seem to have who just bloots a high ball to the far post (and usually out of play).

4 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Connolly kept full backs and wing backs from coming up the field as none could catch him and he created space in the middle by drawing out defenders. But we never had a striker that could take advantage of that. And Connolly could pass the ball into the box unlike every other wide player we seem to have who just bloots a high ball to the far post (and usually out of play).

Lol how totally correct.

Interesting to see Connolly developing into a great player now that he left us. The reality is he was shite for the vast majority of his time here, particularly in the last few months. He wasn’t even getting a game toward the end of the season.

16 hours ago, FTOF said:

I'm certainly not specifying that any player with pace that is signed is a winger. A wing back or even a forward would do.

Goody agrees, going by his failed pursuit of attacking players.

Struggling to see where he'd fit them in unless he is going to blatantly rip Davidson off and go 5-2-3. 

13 hours ago, NorthBank said:

He was definitely a secret weapon when he first arrived, couldn't believe his pace. We've rarely had a player like it, would loved to have seen how long fast he was in person.

Sadly teams worked it out pretty quick, dropped in that wee bit deeper so he couldn't run in behind often forcing him to be subbed off. 

I think Tanser will be adequate as a replacement on the left. Not going to beat his man as much but has a wicked left foot. I'm thinking Simon Lappinesque.

On the right you either play Henderson as a winger or not at all. 

Connolly was just Corcoran. Runs fast, gets caught offside too often, hasn't got the greatest delivery and became a considerably better player in people's eyes once he left.

That's not dissing the lad, I think we should have kept him and in turn I think a couple of seasons would have seen us get the best out of him. I doubt he was guaranteed game time though, which is prob why he left.

4 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Sadly teams worked it out pretty quick, dropped in that wee bit deeper so he couldn't run in behind often forcing him to be subbed off. 

I think Tanser will be adequate as a replacement on the left. Not going to beat his man as much but has a wicked left foot. I'm thinking Simon Lappinesque.

On the right you either play Henderson as a winger or not at all. 

While they may have figured Connolly out, the benefit with having someone like that in is the space they create for other players. If teams are dropping off, then people like McGrath find themselves in more space. We already lack so much width that it's very easy for teams to push up high and basically suffocate us off the park.

If Tanser is doing the 'great deliveries from relatively deep' thing, then we definitely need someone on the other side who is offering something different, even if they're a headless chicken at times.

3 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

No-one is saying Connolly was great but to claim he was useless is bollocks.

Yup, teams definitely feared him. Even if his crosses basically came to nothing most the time, defenders couldn't really take that chance and still had to play him. 

It's an interesting feeling, that one where you were happy that the club did it's business early and got the players settled meanwhile you look at the other teams 'catching up' with a touch of concern.

1 minute ago, McG said:

Kennedy was desperate to join but Aberdeen shifted the goal posts at the last minute.

So is Kennedy dead dead, or just dead-ish?

Aberdeen have brought in Bates and Longstaff, while also dropping out of Europe. You'd think if it was a financial situation then they might be more amenable now compared to 24 hours ago.

8 minutes ago, Ric said:

So is Kennedy dead dead, or just dead-ish?

Aberdeen have brought in Bates and Longstaff, while also dropping out of Europe. You'd think if it was a financial situation then they might be more amenable now compared to 24 hours ago.

I don’t know but we pulled out as they tried to change the agreement of the transfer at the end. 

1 hour ago, McG said:

I’m told we are working on a couple of deals at the minute, Kennedy was desperate to join but Aberdeen shifted the goal posts at the last minute.

I'm sure Cristiano Ronaldo stating his desire to leave Juventus is no coincidence knowing the levels of money we are happy to shell out.