The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 minutes ago, AW saint said:

I would have taken Middleton if Goodwin changed his formation but not fussed about Kennedy. 

I saw Middleton playing for the farmers, he looked unfit and overweight, maybe that's just him, maybe he's been in limbo and not had the chance of a proper pre-season. Who knows. It was only one game I've seen and I'm sure he'll improve over the season. I don't see who he'd replace in the current team - that's a full team without stupid red card suspensions, of course!

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

I saw Middleton playing for the farmers, he looked unfit and overweight, maybe that's just him, maybe he's been in limbo and not had the chance of a proper pre-season.

Take it that wasn't the one where he ripped the pish out of LASK and created a goal from nothing?

I still believe the club without saying it, were hoping that someone came in this window with the right sort of cash for McGrath, hence Kiltie being shoehorned into that position and McGrath being pushed out to wider areas. 

I know im speculating, though I think any sorts of movement inbound, or how far a stretch we could budget for the winger, depended on how much we could have available from the transfer of McGrath and/or McCarthy. 

I personally think we should push the boat out on at least one quality player on the basis that McGrath is leaving and we have someone who can come in with a bit of quality. If McGrath stays, great.

The market is shrinking, though surely there are clubs out there with players available for loan that are not getting game time.

5 minutes ago, Ric said:

On a side note, do you think Kennedy will stay with you?

I was told he was back training with the team yesterday so it looks like it.

We've already seen Glass give a chance to folk he wasn't keen on initially. I don't think Kennedy fits what he's after though.

5 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I was told he was back training with the team yesterday so it looks like it.

We've already seen Glass give a chance to folk he wasn't keen on initially. I don't think Kennedy fits what he's after though.

Got to say, Glass has done considerably better than I expected from him. There is still lots of time for it to go tits up, but you feel if that was the case, then it would have happened at the start of the season.

12 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

If McGrath stays, great.

If McGrath stays then Kiltie needs dropping, or we need to find a different system. As you say, it looks like we recruited early based on him leaving, with the plan of using the proceeds to add some gloss/class to the squad in other areas to the squad. We're now stuck with two (supposedly) first-choice number 10s treading on each other's toes. 

If McGrath wants to hang around and secure himself a more lucrative contract as a free agent next summer, then fair play to him, and on balance it's good news for us. But we need to shape the squad and tactics around the fact that our best player is still going to be here.

21 minutes ago, Ric said:

Got to say, Glass has done considerably better than I expected from him. There is still lots of time for it to go tits up, but you feel if that was the case, then it would have happened at the start of the season.

I think giving him the last couple of months last season was a godsend. Tried to implement his style of play and saw what he really needed before the window.

Still need a couple if to have a decent season IMO but I'm certainly more optimistic than I was previously.

The result at Parkhead is hardly the end of the world. Lose an early goal, get a man sent off, have a goal chalked off for not wearing a hooped jersey., lose heavily. Did anyone really expect anything else in the circumstances? We definitely need a couple of fresh faces in ASAP but beat the fakes at the weekend and take it from there

7 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I think giving him the last couple of months last season was a godsend. Tried to implement his style of play and saw what he really needed before the window.

Still need a couple if to have a decent season IMO but I'm certainly more optimistic than I was previously.

It's great when those gambles pay off. Most of our appointments are gambles in a similar vein to you taking on Glass; they're either decent or awful and there's rarely any middle ground. Goodwin is currently in the 'decent' column based on last season but his name's only written in pencil.

4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

It's great when those gambles pay off. Most of our appointments are gambles in a similar vein to you taking on Glass; they're either decent or awful and there's rarely any middle ground. Goodwin is currently in the 'decent' column based on last season but his name's only written in pencil.

It could still go wrong yet! If we go out on Thursday after prioritising Europe over the cup then there will be plenty dafties raising their voice.

Tactically I prefer Glass over the end of the McInnes regime. Seems to be using players that fit in to his system rather than the McInnes style of signing good players and forcing them in to his style. Derek's main asset was his man management. How happy Glass keeps his players will probably have a big say in how he does.

I like Goodwin. Unfortunately there seems to be a bit too much pressure placed on him from above (which the fans themselves probably think are unrealistic at this stage) which can't be easy. I was very impressed with St Mirren in the game at Pittodrie where we stole a last minute winner last season. The players couldn't keep it up for 90 minutes but to me the biggest problem looked like it was going to be getting goals. The football was really good up until the last third then the tactic was firing in crosses to Obika and Erwin. Bread and butter stuff for Considine, Taylor and Hoban. From reading your thread he seems to be a bit too single minded at times which is an obvious frustration.

I got a bit of ITK on Friday night again that Kennedy deal is actually very unlikely due to the fact he's on big wages at Aberdeen that we can't afford, and we were looking at different players now. I meant to post it on here but I forgot. Anyway, Twitter now reporting the deal is dead.

2 hours ago, GAD said:

I got a bit of ITK on Friday night again that Kennedy deal is actually very unlikely due to the fact he's on big wages at Aberdeen that we can't afford, and we were looking at different players now. I meant to post it on here but I forgot. Anyway, Twitter now reporting the deal is dead.

Hope we can get some deals over the line soon