The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

14 minutes ago, billyg said:

We are players short in various positions , so I wouldn't be surprised to see McGrath and McCarthy away to free up some money  to bring in another 4 or 5 !

“One thing I will say to anyone out there who is showing an interest is that if we start going into the latter stages of the window, going into the last week, then there’s no point coming in with a bid at that point.

“That won’t give me enough time to find a replacement. So if there are teams who are serious about it then they need to put a serious offer on the table. Then we’ll do what we can."

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/in-your-area/renfrewshire/jim-goodwin-warns-jamie-mcgrath-24569220

From 19th July. Interesting to see how this pans out.

Edited by Coventry Saint

2 hours ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

Any idea if you chappies are allowing away fans yet? 

Initially it was a no however I just called the ticket office as my seat is in the red zone of the stand. Also asked about away fans. There is a review meeting tomorrow morning.  Phone St Mirren ticket office tomorrow afternoon before 2pm to get your answin.. Personally I think away fans will get 

3 hours ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

Any idea if you chappies are allowing away fans yet? 

Its a hard call, as with restrictions in the main stand, I'd imagine we might want to accommodate as many home fans as possible. 
What is your travelling support usually like in numbers? Not sure if its possible, though they may split away end. 

1 hour ago, ZingaliMan said:

Bizarre as it is 

Hopefully that adds a bit more interest to his suiters. Time running out for anyone genuinely interested to place a decent offer.

Have a feeling movement inbound could depend on the departure of McGrath this window.

16 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

Power is just a shite version of Stephen McGinn, you guys did us a massive favour offering a deal....

I'm glad yous have taken to McGinn. He was brilliant for us but unfortunately looked finished at this level near the end. 

Without being rude, you have to remember he is playing against the likes of Morton and Ayr every week.

6 hours ago, smellthepaw said:

Its a hard call, as with restrictions in the main stand, I'd imagine we might want to accommodate as many home fans as possible. 
What is your travelling support usually like in numbers? Not sure if its possible, though they may split away end. 

It shouldn’t be a hard call. Even with the ‘red zone’ reducing capacity of the main stand, there will still be more than enough seats for home fans between the remainder of the main stand, family stand and west stand. In fact, we won’t get close to selling it out. 

St. Johnstone should get allocated the full away stand as normal and the club should get as much money in as possible. I’d imagine an away support of 400 given it’s less than a week away without a decision and also a Sunday game. 

57 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

It shouldn’t be a hard call. Even with the ‘red zone’ reducing capacity of the main stand, there will still be more than enough seats for home fans between the remainder of the main stand, family stand and west stand. In fact, we won’t get close to selling it out. 

St. Johnstone should get allocated the full away stand as normal and the club should get as much money in as possible. I’d imagine an away support of 400 given it’s less than a week away without a decision and also a Sunday game. 

That would be far more than they normally bring to Paisley. 

Scott Burns reporting Matty Kennedy now not happening. 

I really liked Kennedy and would have taken him but didn’t see where he naturally fit within Jim’s 352. 

we have a real lack of pace and Kennedy wouldn’t have addressed that 

Edited by Stan Bo

(Fake edit: just saw the post above but I'd typed the below out already...)

Reliable poster on BAWA (they do exist...) saying the Kennedy deal is now dead, which brings the list of wide/attacking players we've missed out on to Middleton, Scott and Kennedy.

As I said ages ago (and repeatedly...), we were going to struggle to attract pacey wide players while we stick so rigidly to one system. as @Stan Bo has said, if we can see that the likes of Scott and Kennedy don't fit into how we play, then you can absolutely guarantee the players can see it too. They won't fancy being the new Durmus and being made to flog their nuts off down the flanks.

Edited by Coventry Saint

When you say "missed out on", I don't think we missed out on Middleton and/or Kennedy, more we "dodged a bullet". Not that they are bad players, but adding them to the squad would not have helped us in any way,

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

When you say "missed out on", I don't think we missed out on Middleton and/or Kennedy, more we "dodged a bullet". Not that they are bad players, but adding them to the squad would not have helped us in any way,

I mean, we tried to get them and failed. I wasn't really passing judgment on their qualities.

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

I mean, we tried to get them and failed. I wasn't really passing judgment on their qualities.

Sure, also I know that my opinion of those players may differ from their own.

Must say I feel very deflated after the relative improvement and success of last season. Had hoped we could push on but we are going backwards at a fast rate of knots. Our arguably two best players in McGrath and McCarthy have been effectively sidelined - one not an automatic start and the other being pushed into a position that does not suit his talents. We no longer play out from the back via JDH who was a far more important player for us than many fans will give him credit for. And we do not have a suitable replacement - not that Jim is playing that way. This constant long diagonal is brutal to watch. And we still have positions that there is no automatic choice for.

I felt the formula for last season just needed tweeked. Players that left to be replaced with players who could do the exact same job. A striker who could stay in the box and take some of the many chances we were creating and a decent backup striker. Instead it looks like the whole plan was torn up and we start all over again. Maybe things will improve but pushing on for top six looks like pie in the sky now.

13 minutes ago, Ric said:

I would have taken Middleton if Goodwin changed his formation but not fussed about Kennedy. 

I think most of us thought that last season's team just needed a striker for us to really make a dent on this season. From the outside it looks like Goodwin thought otherwise and felt the whole system was the issue and not just the strikers. He has far more oversight than I, and is clearly an experienced manager where I am not, but I'll not lie, I'm not overly convinced in the direction we are going.

That said, a good performance and a win on Sunday, considering they had a game on Thursday we should have the advantage as well as being at home, and things will look better. It's tight down the bottom of the league as you'd expect at this time of the season, but 3 points would definitely improve the reading.

In regard to our final position, and no I'm not going to give a prediction, we were bottom of the league for most of last season, iirc, certainly for long stretches, and while there were other reasons for that we saw that when galvanised the team can climb the table.