The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Again, I thought we looked busy, industrious and in places quite technical much like the Thistle game, but equally like the Thistle game it didn't feel that we were operating at 100%. New season and all that, and while I'm not complaining I feel we need much more cohesiveness in the middle of the park.

As for the line ups? I think Goodwin's got it about right. Henderson is as likely to throw the ball into row Z as he is to throw in a decent cross, but I guess the scenario here is to keep playing him until he either finally gets some consistency. It's not a gripe, that's young players for you. I like Dunne, but I have a bit of a fear for him, he seems (to me at least) to be overplaying, I'd much rather see him be dull but solid, just now he seems solid but a touch eager.

3 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
10 hours ago, madmitch said:
That route 1 first goal was very reminiscent of many Money/Yardley/Chalmers goals.

Yardley wouldn't have played with Chalmers, he arrived a good 4/5 years after Chalmers time with us.

My bad, I stand corrected. My auld memory is worse than I thought. 

32 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:
35 minutes ago, madmitch said:
My bad, I stand corrected. My auld memory is worse than I thought. 

Maybe you meant the mad monk.

Aye could have been Kenny. thanks. I do remember we scored a air few route one goals around then. 

Scott would fit the bill of wide player that Goodwin has admired for a few years (given he routinely sworded us a few years back)  the 50/50 on whether we'd get him and us wanting to sign him but maybe settling for a loan.

1 minute ago, ulysses said:

He's more of a striker than a winger isn't he? Or is he one of those guys that can play wing and striker? 

Don't think Hull have played him centrally at all. He's been used on either wing.

Motherwell played him central though.

He actually played mostly out wide for us. 

Robinson tried him through the middle but at 18 he didn’t really do well with the physical/ugly side of the game. So he put him out wide instead where he could spend more time doing the things he was good at- getting on the ball and running at people etc. 

He looked a cracking prospect if a little short on end product back then but as I say, he was very young. Still only 20 now, could be an excellent pick up for St Mirren.