The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

13 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

So aside from all the times he's been mentioned, and the fact this thread is now full of St Johnstone fans, he's never been mentioned and you didn't fancy him anyway?

Na I personally like him. Whether the club want another loan deal I'm not so sure, especially when they have options of permanent deals in his position. Glenn is a decent player.

25 minutes ago, Radford said:

What do you use to polish the big club trophy that takes pride of place in your trophy cabinet? 

See if you add vinegar to out of date silvo it sort of works, got that tip from a Dee.

Some c**t in paisley is desperately adding vinegar to silvo right now to see if it works.

6 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Na I personally like him. Whether the club want another loan deal I'm not so sure, especially when they have options of permanent deals in his position. Glenn is a decent player.

Kidding aside, we've no loan players in the squad just now so the addition of one or two on a non-permanent basis wouldn't be an issue.

We're a far cry from under Alan Stubbs when we had something like 7 loan players at one point. 

St Mirren [emoji23]
I find it amusing too that we might be signing a player that you lot were creaming your pants about joining you again.

If he signs then great. If not we have othet options.

Just a pity we didn't borrow £900K more in government loans or we could have made it a permanent signing.[emoji849]

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I find it amusing too that we might be signing a player that you lot were creaming your pants about joining you again.

There's only a few who've been "creaming their pants" about signing someone who started 3 league games for us in half a season, m8. Presumably St Mirren are desperate to get him based on a free kick against them in a cup, rather than any sustained performances he put in for us.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

There's only a few who've been "creaming their pants" about signing someone who started 3 league games for us in half a season, m8. Presumably St Mirren are desperate to get him based on a free kick against them in a cup, rather than any sustained performances he put in for us.

You keep telling yourself that, if it makes you feel better.

FWIW, I'm not particularly bothered whether we sign him or not. I prefer the out of nowhere, surprise signing that we've never heard of before. e.g. Dylan Connolly.

Edited by FTOF

8 minutes ago, FTOF said:

You keep telling yourself that, if it makes you feel better.

😂

I want us to sign more permanent deals, and I've been open about that. Far too many loans over the past 3 windows that it would have to be someone brilliant to make that worthwhile in, Middleton would've been fine but Rangers stalling for 6 weeks on the deal while we try and prepare for Europe + a hefty fee just to loan him = me happy to see us "miss" out.

As you say, I'd rather see us take a, cheaper, punt on some random potential gem permanently for a couple of years. Far more upside.

I think the best way for St Johnstone fans to show they are not bothered would be to come on this thread and claim we are paying stupid money, say that Middleton isn't worth it and in fact they never wanted him back or start claiming they've got more trophies in the cabinet.

The fact all these things are untrue would only go to emphasise how not bothered they are.

Edited by Ric

Just now, GAD said:

Multi thread meltdown from Randomguy now. Scenes.

It's a shame you can't see our FB supporters group. They've been melting down for weeks about Middleton, furious we've not signed him yet.

I'm getting some popcorn this morning in the hope it leaks from this site to there soon.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's a shame you can't see our FB supporters group. They've been melting down for weeks about Middleton, furious we've not signed him yet.

I'm getting some popcorn this morning in the hope it leaks from this site to there soon.

Club Facebook groups are something else. I've never seen one that was anything other than completely mental.

Well done, I suppose if you wanted a St Johnstone double cup winner winger Middleton was the obvious choice once you missed out on your 1st choice St Johnstone double cup winner winger Michael O'Halloran 😄

Edited by Templar

4 minutes ago, GAD said:

Club Facebook groups are something else. I've never seen one that was anything other than completely mental.

It's great. 

Saturday was the first game most of our fans have been too in like 18 months at least. One boy (who must be a season ticket holder) went on the page to rant and tell everyone he'd emailed the club that it was a disgrace how long it took to get out the car park after, and he might not be back if its not sorted 😂

1 hour ago, Radford said:

What do you use to polish the big club trophy that takes pride of place in your trophy cabinet? 

Tremendous achievement by St Johnstone to win two cups in the same season. Tremendous. Luckily, I’ve been at Hampden to see us lift the Scottish Cup in ‘87, and the League Cup in ‘13. A lifetime of memories. I reckon you guys should celebrate your double in ten years by donning facemasks, strolling down to Tesco for a few cans, watch re-runs of the games played in empty stadiums in your living room in your bubbles, and re-create the post match euphoria by once more nipping into the back garden to shout ‘hurrah!’ before letting off a couple of leftover Brocks sparklers. 

Scunner. Absolute scunner… in all seriousness though, fantastic cup double. Don’t think a diddy team will ever do it again. Now, I’m finished being nice… run along you cheeky scamp with your cup double patter. We’ve got plenty Brasso left for this season’s Renfrewshire Cup. 🙂

40 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Middleton would've been fine but Rangers stalling for 6 weeks on the deal while we try and prepare for Europe + a hefty fee just to loan him = me happy to see us "miss" out.

Joking aside, I've actually not seen him play very much, aside from him tipping the semi final in your favour. 

Real talk: decent singing or not? Bearing in mind we're completely copying your style of play from last season and he doesn't necessarily have a home in that system. Could he play centrally if McGrath was away?

9 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I agree - but it's a bit concerning given that both McGrath and Kiltie were on the pitch.

Jim seems to have decided we do not need a midfield this season. Tactic is long balls from the back three  either straight up top to two strikers or out to the wing backs to throw in crosses quickly. I understand what he is doing. We were far too slow last season getting the ball up front with too many side and back passes. And even if the strikers do not win the headers then Kiltie and McGrath are there for the second balls. Problem for me is it is turning into hoof ball and McGrath's talents are wasted. Would have preferred if we had mixed it up more and at least tried some passing through the middle. If we keep this up we won't need McGrath this season.