The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

5 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

No idea why you’re all having a go at the club about this. Not their decision to make. End of the day Renfrewshire Council have told us how many fans we are allowed in - what do you expect the club to do? Just ignore them?

I think people have reacted very angrily, very quickly. However, I also think people are damn near at the end of their tethers with basically fucking everything. I think we'd all imagined the Hearts game would be a glorious 90-minute hate-athon with a capacity crowd, but it looks like that's not happening. 

I guess it makes it worse that the authorities on this (English) side of the border have just decided to try the 'f**k it' approach. However, I find it hard to believe that the club isn't doing everything it can to get fans back in. I see little point in getting actually furious at SMFC over this.

11 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

I sent a tweet to the SLO.

Here is the thread,

Hope you get a reply explaining the decision. In fact, just hope you get a reply. My last two e-mails to our club simply were not answered. No-one replied. One was in regard to the prospect of OF Colts being possibly admitted into the Scottish League system, the second was two queries I need answers to in regard to the imminent start of this Covid affected league season.

To anyone asking ‘why blame the club we don’t hear the full story’. The reason is simple. Experience. Years of experience watching absolutely woeful communication, or a complete lack of communication. It’s not really about immediately laying the blame at the club’s door. It’s about immediately being extremely suspicious that it could be the club’s fault… if that makes sense.  We have what appears to be a newer, shinier, more fan friendly St Mirren, with the Ali Defoy videos and the regular website or Facebook ‘we really love our fans’ style proclaiments. We have SLOs. We have supposedly fan-centric ownership. Communication remains utterly dreadful. Behind the fluff and more fan friendly words and videos though, so far, seems to be the same old shite.

The ongoing lurch from one ticketing shambles to another. Fans already into a game going into subsequent ballots. Aberdeen, Hibs, Sevco, Celtic, all so far, seemingly able to ask for and get bigger home numbers in. It was a stick-on, an absolute stick-on, that the club where a divisive issue would rear its head on this would be St Mirren. A certainty. The league season hasn’t even started yet. If I was a betting man, my money would be on the next bit of shite being the usual smooth kit launch - kids cannot get sizes. Kids cannot wear it while OF supporting pals have theirs. Online ordering issues. Run out of XL adult after two days… you know the script.

Anyway, St Mirren might be absolutely blameless here. The reason my eyebrows immediately raise is as I say - years of experience watching what appears to be a perma-amateur hour operation… oh, and equally eyebrow raising… Renfrewshire Council are involved.

Apologies if my suspicion-of-shite-o-meter has just nudged into the dangerous red zone at the end of that particular dial.

Edited by pozbaird

I think people have reacted very angrily, very quickly. However, I also think people are damn near at the end of their tethers with basically fucking everything. I think we'd all imagined the Hearts game would be a glorious 90-minute hate-athon with a capacity crowd, but it looks like that's not happening. 
I guess it makes it worse that the authorities on this (English) side of the border have just decided to try the 'f**k it' approach. However, I find it hard to believe that the club isn't doing everything it can to get fans back in. I see little point in getting actually furious at SMFC over this.
Problem is folk have stumped up a lot of cash again for Season Tickets. Also you are right folk are at the end of their tether with everything. A lot of lashing out just now. On pnb, twitter, facebook.

If it's not the clubs fault (Doesn't appear to be) the fans (not customers) are hoping the club come out and put pressure on the council to allow the permitted 2000 plus more. They need to be seen fighting for our corner at the very least. Doesn't help when one of the directors doesn't seem to have a clue either.

Or at least that's my view on it, can't judge the whole fanbase but if we want to be a successful fan owned club we have to get the basics right and communication is number 1 on the list for me.

The situation is definitely exacerbated by the club's decision to make the Main Stand unavailable to fans.

Of course there is the need to allow subs and support staff to socially distance but to have exclusive use of a 2400 capacity stand for that purpose is ridiculous.

Just now, Ric said:

Not enough tickets for the fans that want to watch the game?

DmPPhrJ.png

Anyone still want a ticket? Naw, didn't think so...

300px-Modern_Problems_Require_Modern_Sol

That’s you nailed the issue. Ticket stubs.

I’m leaving the internet by the tradesman’s entrance with my coat handily placed as I make my way into the chilly night air.

35 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Hope you get a reply explaining the decision. In fact, just hope you get a reply.

To be fair the SLO replied promptly saying the 1039 was the figure given to the club to allow 1m SD. When pressed he then went on about the height of the seats, width of the rows and other design features of the stadium.

When I pointed out that an almost identical stadium in Airdrie  had 1400 fans accommodated in only 2 of their 4 stands, one of which was shared with subs and other club officials, there was no comeback.

Edited by Arch Stanton

34 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

If it's not the clubs fault (Doesn't appear to be) the fans (not customers) are hoping the club come out and put pressure on the council to allow the permitted 2000 plus more. They need to be seen fighting for our corner at the very least. Doesn't help when one of the directors doesn't seem to have a clue either.

Yeah, that's very fair.

33 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Aberdeen, Hibs, Sevco, Celtic, all so far, seemingly able to ask for and get bigger home numbers in. It was a stick-on, an absolute stick-on, that the club where a divisive issue would rear its head on this would be St Mirren.

Just to make you feel better, there are Hibs fans moaning about the capacity we have been given for the Euro match later tonight...........despite the fact it probably wont sell out anyway as its peak holiday season and loads of people cba going as they cant sit right next to their mates.

Back OT, Hibs were only initially given the basic 2000, and had to "work with" the council to get the increase.........it all seems a bit weird, when we all have open air stadia, open access points etc etc.

I think the correct answer in all of these situations is usually "the cooncil" who - wherever you live - seem universally clueless and lacking in common sense. Allied to a computer says no attitude, we are all in for a frustrating few months.

Those that can't get in will purchase ppv so income is still there. Obviously its not the clubs fault agree with you. But the correspondence from the club is poor yet again. The 500 who got into the Dunfermline game are back in the ballot for the Thistle game which is a poor decision also. Going by the season ticket announcement today regarding public sale  the holding of seat numbers for last season  season tickets holders suggest not all have renewed yet. Can't imagine there is an incentive for fans to renew who have not done so thus far.  Edit forgot this game is live so no ppv for home fans. 
Some ST holders CANT renew is the issue not choosing not too. It's a monumental f**k up that's been ongoing for weeks.

1 hour ago, buddie06smfc said:

Those who have attended a previous home game, while numbers are restricted, should not be included in the ballot until all season ticket holders have been offered the chance to attend a game. I’m not arsed particularly about the cup games this early, I’d far rather go to the Hearts game as first home game and with increased numbers I would hope. My chances of success in the ballot are probably same rate as my success in the SMiSA fan-ownership prize draws, 0.

I suspect the new system we have in place for tickets is probably too hopeless to cope with conditional statements for removing tickets from ballots given we had to enter all our details.

They should be excluded from the cup game this Sunday but definitely not for the league game.

Bear in mind, everyone who got a ticket in the ballot last week still had to shell out money to get in as will the winners this Sunday. I'd be fucking fuming if the club told me that I was excluded from a chance of a home league ticket for 2 or 3 games on a ticket I've already paid for to give everyone a fair shot because I happened to win a home ticket vs Dunfermline that I had to pay for on top of my ST to attend.

If the cup games were included on the ST, that would be a different matter.

Edited by djchapsticks

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

If it's not the clubs fault (Doesn't appear to be) the fans (not customers) are hoping the club come out and put pressure on the council to allow the permitted 2000 plus more. 

Fan behaviour will be taken into account too I would think so that'll be something to consider for all fans who are in grounds for cup fixtures in the next 2 weeks. The Airdrie fans last night were presumably told to remain in their seats socially distanced. There was footage of them celebrating a goal on the pitch with a flare! 

Edited by Buttocks Brown

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

They should be excluded from the cup game this Sunday but definitely not for the league game.

Bear in mind, everyone who got a ticket in the ballot last week still had to shell out money to get in as will the winners this Sunday. I'd be fucking fuming if the club told me that I was excluded from a chance of a home league ticket for 2 or 3 games on a ticket I've already paid for to give everyone a fair shot because I happened to win a home ticket vs Dunfermline that I had to pay for on top of my ST to attend.

If the cup games were included on the ST, that would be a different matter.

Absolutely bang on.

Fan behaviour will be taken into account too I would think so that'll be something to consider for all fans who are in grounds for cup fixtures in the next 2 weeks. The Airdrie fans last night were presumably told to remain in their seats socially distanced. There was footage of them celebrating a goal on the pitch with a flare! 
There were Motherwell fans literally screaming in the ear/face of some Airdrie players when they were taking a throw in next to them.

These are the kind of morons that can ruin it for everyone else who are desperate to see attendances back to normal.

15 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

There were Motherwell fans literally screaming in the ear/face of some Airdrie players when they were taking a throw in next to them.

These are the kind of morons that can ruin it for everyone else who are desperate to see attendances back to normal.

The authorities stood back and allowed thousands of pissed Sevconians to booze for hours in George Square before breaking up their party, the authorities - Councils, Scot Gov, Scot Police better fcuking not try to make a case that a few arseholes in a few supports are stopping the return of fans.

Enough. Just enough. The fcuking lot of you, from Holyrood down.

It's the inconsistencies between the way that different clubs and local authorities are dealing with this which is driving perceived injustices.

Probably based on the events that affected the club last season, we've chosen to ensure that our and the opposition players are socially distanced within the main stand. A decision which has undoubtedly wiped out a large number of possible attendees.

Having watched a few live games online in the league cup, not all clubs seem to be socially distancing players in this way, nor are they enforcing strict 1m spacing between fans.

To a certain extent, I can see why the club are adopting a cautious approach.

However, there must be another way, that would allow at least the "side sections" of the Main stand to be utilised by fans.

Pair this with the season ticket mess and things are far from rosy. However, there are far more important things in life and I'll be enjoying the good weather without a thought about whether I get a ticket or not for Sunday.

Edited by FTOF