The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Will the games still get shown (ie available for anyone to purchase) on SMTV this season, do we think? Hard to know where they'll stand with restrictions. I'd imagine they'd need to respect the wishes of those who don't yet wish to be in crowded places

Edited by Coventry Saint

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Will the games still get shown (ie available for anyone to purchase) on SMTV this season, do we think? Hard to know where they'll stand with restrictions. I'd imagine they'd need to respect the wishes of those who don't yet wish to be in crowded places

Sure it was confirmed a month or so ago that PPV will continue until "restrictions are lifted".

Brighton paid £1.5 million for Anders Dreyer, who had one full season in the Danish second tier under his belt. 

We (and by that I mean St Mirren but also Scottish football more generally) need to stop selling ourselves short. 

If Erhahon was to go for a few hundred thousand it would be a scandal. 

9 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Brighton paid £1.5 million for Anders Dreyer, who had one full season in the Danish second tier under his belt. 

We (and by that I mean St Mirren but also Scottish football more generally) need to stop selling ourselves short. 

If Erhahon was to go for a few hundred thousand it would be a scandal. 

Tbf Dreyer scored a shit tonne of goals that season and was being chased by multiple clubs around Europe.

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf Dreyer scored a shit tonne of goals that season and was being chased by multiple clubs around Europe.

Fair enough and Brighton were a Premier League team too. I'm not saying that Erhahon should go for more than Dreyer, just that if teams from other smaller countries can hold out for decent cash then we shouldn't be in a rush to sell our most promising stars for peanuts. 

1 minute ago, houston_bud said:

Fair enough and Brighton were a Premier League team too. I'm not saying that Erhahon should go for more than Dreyer, just that if teams from other smaller countries can hold out for decent cash then we shouldn't be in a rush to sell our most promising stars for peanuts. 

I agree, but positions make a difference to the price.

A fairly nothing midfielder like Erhahon will never get the same money as a winger scoring almost 20 goals in a season, so it's not worth comparing them.

I'm hopeful we stay strong over Ali McCann and help set a benchmark for young CMs who don't score many up here. If we get £2m+ then it would hopefully force up the fees for someone like Erhahon, as clubs try and get him before he has a real breakthrough season for less than they'd pay after it. If that makes sense?

11 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Erhahon is " a fairly nothing midfielder " but Ali McCann is worth £2M+. 🤣

Yeah. Neither Erhahon or McCann are massively creative or goalscorers, so they don't have the assist or goal figures to catch the eye in the way a David Turnbull did.

McCann has 2 trophies, full International caps, full International goals and is edging towards 100  senior games, at 21. If we get over £2m for him, then you can start aiming for that figure with Erhahon as he progresses. 

If he has a breakthrough season this year, you can use the McCann fee as a yardstick for offers. A few high price sales of players like that could help in future sales.

47 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Erhahon is " a fairly nothing midfielder " but Ali McCann is worth £2M+. 🤣

Looks like the Jonnies have picked up the ol’ Seville calculator…

Bit of a bizarre comparison here between two different styles of midfielders.

FWIW, Erhahon made his debut against Rangers in 2018, a year before McCann leapt onto the scene on loan at Stranraer & Erhahon is also more than a year younger than him. McCann is a decent young player who’s had a good season but certainly not a player with more potential. I think St Johnstone fans are overly excited because they don’t churn out anywhere near the quality of young academy players. I wouldn’t value NI caps as something to brag about either, they are picking players from the likes of Accrington Stanley and Rochdale in recent squads.

Bit of a bizarre comparison here between two different styles of midfielders.
FWIW, Erhahon made his debut against Rangers in 2018, a year before McCann leapt onto the scene on loan at Stranraer & Erhahon is also more than a year younger than him. McCann is a decent young player who’s had a good season but certainly not a player with more potential. I think St Johnstone fans are overly excited because they don’t churn out anywhere near the quality of young academy players. I wouldn’t value NI caps as something to brag about either, they are picking players from the likes of Accrington Stanley and Rochdale in recent squads.

Spot on. It’s just our annual transfer of the latest academy product. We’re well prepared to deal with the situation and don’t need to concern ourselves with any other club or diddy player.

45 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Spot on. It’s just our annual transfer of the latest academy product. We’re well prepared to deal with the situation and don’t need to concern ourselves with any other club or diddy player.

I see that your slabbering oaf trap worked a treat.:rolleyes: