The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

The lad has 2 years remaining on his contract, has played 80+ games for us, and has been part of the national youth setup at U17,  U18,  U19 and U21.

The idea that he's worth a couple of hundred thousand, when the development fee alone would be more, is madness.

Erhahon has a few shortcomings in his game but he's constantly improving and is still learning. End of the day, we have on our books, a guy who has represented Scotland at every level bar full international, will have well over 100 first team appearances before he hits 21 and still has two years to run on his current deal.

When you look at other clubs like St. Johnstone and Motherwell doubling down and refusing to let themselves be short sold on their assets, then neither should we. Barnsley paid £1.25m last season for a lad from Liverpool who is two years older, and with no first team experience save for couple of loans out to League 1.

We'd be doing ourselves a genuine disservice by accepting low to mid six figures for him.

Edited by djchapsticks

23 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Erhahon has a few shortcomings in his game but he's constantly improving and is still learning. End of the day, we have on our books, a guy who has represented Scotland at every level bar full international, will have well over 100 first team appearances before he hits 21 and still has two years to run on his current deal.

When you look at other clubs like St. Johnstone and Motherwell doubling down and refusing to let themselves be short sold on their assets, then neither should we. Barnsley paid £1.25m last season for a lad from Liverpool who is two years older, and with no first team experience save for couple of loans out to League 1.

We'd be doing ourselves a genuine disservice by accepting low to mid six figures for him.

For a guy who's got another 2 years left on his deal, anything short of £600k isn't worth thinking about if I were St Mirren. Ok, he's hardly set the heather alight with this performances and there are some glaring issues with his play, but he's still a young kid who's learning and getting experience. In a way this is probably the ideal time to sell him since you'll potentially not get the same fee next year unless he has a hell of a season. However there's zero way you should let yourselves be backed into a corner, if he wants to go fine, but set a minimum you want for him (not that you make that public!).

In todays market, he's probably a £500k-750k player simply based on contract, potential ability and previous sales. But that figure can only go up if he keeps improving, unless he runs down his deal. 

The kicker in this is what does Ethan want?  Did he not send out a fairly randon tweet a few months ago saying, effectively, cheerieo?

If his head has been turned, then thats not the be all and end all of this, but puts another dimention on the discussions.  

I like him.  I'd want him to stay. 

i believe that some clubs in scottish football  conduct their business like the big heroin deal at the end of Trainspotting. I hope thats not us. Of note, we did well with the McGinn sell on clause.  

I think EE is worth at least £1.25M.  People can laugh at that, they're free to.  That's what I think he's worth.  Thats what I think should be our opening position.  

Looking at this objectively we've got great pedigree in bringing on players now in the English Premier League.  J McGinn and McLean are doing the business so we have form in this.  If he goes, the minimun we should expect is a fair price for him.  Granted in a fucking mental market...  

Season ticket bought. Looking forward to hearing the numbskulls in the main stand shout their tactical advice again sometime in the near future.

Likewise except I’m looking forward to the away dugouts getting in scraps with those nearby. It’s a shame Robinson & Wright have since left this league, for now anyway, as they were usually guaranteed.

24 minutes ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

The kicker in this is what does Ethan want?  Did he not send out a fairly randon tweet a few months ago saying, effectively, cheerieo?

If his head has been turned, then thats not the be all and end all of this, but puts another dimention on the discussions.  

It was effectively "My time will come", posted at the very end of the transfer window. Maybe we agreed to consider a transfer for him if he stopped until the summer. 

Erhahon had a great season, he was a mainstay while others around him were in and out the team. I don’t know what these “glaring issues” are - he can improve in areas but he’s hardly a weak link or liability in the side. It’s obvious Goodwin has a lot of trust in him as he had him in before far more experienced players last season especially when we went through the bad spell early in the season. He can easily go on to have as good a career as Kenny McLean.

I think he should have got recognition for his performances at league level as well as club level in the younger player category but I’m biased in that regard.

10 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

It was effectively "My time will come", posted at the very end of the transfer window. Maybe we agreed to consider a transfer for him if he stopped until the summer. 

From my understanding, his much forgotten spell on loan at Barnsley was very successful (although he was playing mainly for developmental sides) and they were exceptionally keen on him to the point where they were pretty much a lock to sign him last summer. It looked ideal for all parties as we didn't appear to have a way into the first team for him and his career was sort of stalling.

That deal obviously got scuppered by the early shutdown and uncertainty surrounding the future of clubs and their financial position so it didn't come to anything. It's of no real surprise that Barnsley are still interested and we'd have likely dealt with them at a lower price than we'll be looking for now.

Erhahon had a great season, he was a mainstay while others around him were in and out the team. I don’t know what these “glaring issues” are - he can improve in areas but he’s hardly a weak link or liability in the side. It’s obvious Goodwin has a lot of trust in him as he had him in before far more experienced players last season especially when we went through the bad spell early in the season. He can easily go on to have as good a career as Kenny McLean.

I think he should have got recognition for his performances at league level as well as club level in the younger player category but I’m biased in that regard.
The "glaring issue " that I see, is that he's too one footed. Needs to practice using his right foot. Unless you're as good as Messi, won't get to the top being one footed

The "glaring issue " that I see, is that he's too one footed. Needs to practice using his right foot. Unless you're as good as Messi, won't get to the top being one footed

Can’t see that as being something that will hinder his progress. It’s not held back countless members of the current Scotland squad. Aside from Morgan none of the young players we’ve produced recently have used their weaker foot for anything other than standing on.