The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

10 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Agreed. However, I know it feels like 6 months, but he was actually only here for not even 6 weeks. He joined 31st January  and last game of season turned out to be 11th March.

Aye I forgot the season ended early your spot on. There was always talk of him and Durmus being able to link up, as they had played at a previous club together, but the only game I ever remember him being substituted on, he came on in place of Durmus and the fans were potentially robbed of witnessing the next Yorke and Cole. 

2 hours ago, btb said:

I thought UEFA had introduced regulations to stop this sorta practice, although perhaps I dreamed this.

On a more general note, so far the most worrying aspect of this close season has been the lack of things to worry about.

They possibly have by now as I seem to remember it happening to a few players around that time. Was it Coulibaly who left Kilmarnock for an Egyptian team, who stopped paying his wages until he left in protest and signed for Patrick Thistle, but only played a handful of games as he was still in dispute with UEFA for breaching his contract.

12 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

They possibly have by now as I seem to remember it happening to a few players around that time. Was it Coulibaly who left Kilmarnock for an Egyptian team, who stopped paying his wages until he left in protest and signed for Patrick Thistle, but only played a handful of games as he was still in dispute with UEFA for breaching his contract.

Just re-read my last post to and didn't mean it to sound sarky - just that I thought UEFA had taken action to prevent this sorta problem from happening but wasn't 100'% certain.

Edited by btb

13 minutes ago, btb said:

Re-read my last post to and didn't mean it to sound sarky - just that I thought UEFA had taken action to prevent this sorta problem from happening but wasn't 100'% certain.

No I didn’t think you were, your probably right. Seem to remember a few players having to take their case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in order to release them from their contracts. 

Quick google search shows it ended up quite a mess. Although looking into a bit more it seems to be a different situation that Erwin found himself in at Traktor Sazi.

AB17B24B-A97B-4FB2-8E7E-E7BD44591823.jpeg

Edited by IrishBhoy

6 weeks ago, Jim probably wouldn't have stood in the way of Erwin leaving. At this stage though it won't be easy to get a good replacement in and it'll be fresh in the mind that a lack of forwards probably cost us top 6.

Erwin goes and it might be a case of having to take a chance on one of these young players from England with little or no competitive experience. Last season, we had Thorvaldsson and Mason; the former was a disaster and the latter was injured for half his loan spell.

3 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

6 weeks ago, Jim probably wouldn't have stood in the way of Erwin leaving. At this stage though it won't be easy to get a good replacement in and it'll be fresh in the mind that a lack of forwards probably cost us top 6.

Erwin goes and it might be a case of having to take a chance on one of these young players from England with little or no competitive experience. Last season, we had Thorvaldsson and Mason; the former was a disaster and the latter was injured for half his loan spell.

We’re not getting top 6 this year if Lee Erwin is part of the plans.

If he's going to get, what sounds like, significantly better money for moving then he'd be daft not to go.  It's a short career in football and he doesn't seem the type to want to grace the Sportscene sofa.  Good for him... 

Seems like he's wanted and we have him on contract for another year.  Money talks...  

Given time and distance, I'll get over losing him.  I hope the huge sums of money that they'll have to pay will go some way to rebuilding the facilities at Ralston, putting corners on the staduim and perhaps a second tier on the main stand...  

Jim made the point on a few occasions about Lee struggling to get over COVID and certainly his performances at the end of the season were a massive improvement, so I think the lad definitely has ability. If we can get a fee though and he can get a good wage bump then it really is a good deal for both sides.

Given the financial situation for most clubs, I’m sure Jim will find a decent replacement and Lee would go with the clubs best wishes.

10 minutes ago, FTOF said:

About £500K should do the trick.:rolleyes:

Much , MUCH, more than that. Unless all six figures are all 9's and even then we'd be selling him short.

5 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Looks like they've researched what Barnsley paid for Mallan and added a wee bit on for inflation. A laughable sum 

Possibly based on the development fee we'd get for him, if he left at the end of his contract (in June 2023).

It is certainly well below the club's valuation of him.

27 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Possibly based on the development fee we'd get for him, if he left at the end of his contract (in June 2023).

It is certainly well below the club's valuation of him.

If that's the case tell them to f**k off.