The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

5 hours ago, FTOF said:

image.png.3bd15eff6f9df8237ec7def131fd5e6d.png

Seeing those names written down like that has surprised me a tad. That’s two strong line-ups we are able to field and it’s been a while since I can recall St Mirren being able to do that. 

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Seeing those names written down like that has surprised me a tad. That’s two strong line-ups we are able to field and it’s been a while since I can recall St Mirren being able to do that. 

Yup, looking at those teams, I agree with @Coventry Saint that I'll be surprised if we add any more than maybe one or two new faces.

Actually almost forgot we still have Ryan Flynn as well - still a great option to have kicking about the squad.

7 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Yup, looking at those teams, I agree with @Coventry Saint that I'll be surprised if we add any more than maybe one or two new faces.

Actually almost forgot we still have Ryan Flynn as well - still a great option to have kicking about the squad.

It’s actually two very balanced line ups as well, it’s not like Jim is shoe-horning players into position to make a team. 

If Flynn can stay injury free this season and Henderson can make an impact on the first team in the way that we hope he can then that will be like two new signings off the bat. Unless we receive an offer for McGrath that the club are unable to turn down I can’t see there being any more business done this window.

Edited by IrishBhoy

3 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

It’s actually two very balanced line ups as well, it’s not like Jim is shoe-horning players into position to make a team. 

If Flynn can stay injury free this season and Henderson can make an impact on the first team in the way that we hope he can then that will be like two new signings off the bat. Unless we receive an offer for McGrath that the club are unable to turn down I can’t see there being any more business done this window.

The emergence of Dylan Reid is also essentially a new signing.

I refuse to accept there will not be some random Euro jobber that Goodwin will bring in on loan, who'll end up being injured all the time yet some in the support will claim that if only the player had more time on the pitch then he'd really make the difference on the pitch.

It's the St Mirren way.

Erwin targeted by Turkish hopefuls

0_St-Mirren-v-Hibernian-Ladbrokes-Scottish-Premiership.jpg
St Mirren striker Lee Erwin (Image: SNS Group)

St Mirren striker Lee Erwin is a shock target for ambitious, newly-promoted Turkish side Altay SK, after his former manager Mustafa Denizli made a bold move to sign him again, writes Mark Walker.

The 27-year-old has a year left of his contract to go with the Paisley side after joining from Ross County last September. He made 17 starts for Jim Goodwin's side and scored three goals last term.

And he's been targeted by Turkish Super League new boys Altay to join their side for the start of the new season.

Altay have already been linked with Celtic outcast Boli Bolingoli, who is back training at Lennoxtown after a season spent on loan in Turkish football with Basaksehir.

Erwin, who has also played for Motherwell, Leeds United and Kilmarnock, spent time abroad previously when he made an unusual move to Iran to play for Tractor FC.

Tractor were managed by experienced Turkish boss Denizli and he wants to sign Erwin again for the new season. Denizil, who has previously managed Turkey and Galatasaray, was impressed with the player during his time in Iran.

They have embarked on a spending spree after winning promotion to the top flight for the first time in 18 years and also want to sign experienced Turkish keeper Korcan Celikay and Colombian midfielder Yesus Cabrera for the new campaign.

Wonder if that's an example of how long things are in the works for, as if he leaves then all of a sudden the signing of Main makes even more sense.

24 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

£1,000,000 should do the trick emoji38.png

Well, if we're using the "transfer fee calculator" that all the other clubs on here seem to be currently using, that would seem a pretty reasonable amount.:rolleyes:

Edited by FTOF

38 minutes ago, greenock saint said:

Erwin targeted by Turkish hopefuls

0_St-Mirren-v-Hibernian-Ladbrokes-Scottish-Premiership.jpg

St Mirren striker Lee Erwin (Image: SNS Group)

St Mirren striker Lee Erwin is a shock target for ambitious, newly-promoted Turkish side Altay SK, after his former manager Mustafa Denizli made a bold move to sign him again, writes Mark Walker.

The 27-year-old has a year left of his contract to go with the Paisley side after joining from Ross County last September. He made 17 starts for Jim Goodwin's side and scored three goals last term.

And he's been targeted by Turkish Super League new boys Altay to join their side for the start of the new season.

Altay have already been linked with Celtic outcast Boli Bolingoli, who is back training at Lennoxtown after a season spent on loan in Turkish football with Basaksehir.

Erwin, who has also played for Motherwell, Leeds United and Kilmarnock, spent time abroad previously when he made an unusual move to Iran to play for Tractor FC.

Tractor were managed by experienced Turkish boss Denizli and he wants to sign Erwin again for the new season. Denizil, who has previously managed Turkey and Galatasaray, was impressed with the player during his time in Iran.

They have embarked on a spending spree after winning promotion to the top flight for the first time in 18 years and also want to sign experienced Turkish keeper Korcan Celikay and Colombian midfielder Yesus Cabrera for the new campaign.

I posted that last night and then removed it as I had been told from a friend of Lee Erwin that he was on the verge of signing for a Turkish team, although he didn’t say which one. From what I was told Erwin is more than happy to go and will be collecting a wage many multiples of what he is currently getting at St Mirren.

He will be of absolutely no loss to St Mirren, and I would go as far as saying that it’s a good move for both parties here, as I would be confident in us finding a replacement of a better standard. Possibly the ‘random European jobber’ card will be used here. 

Not only losing Lee Erwin but losing him to a club on a 'spending spree' would be quite the fucking turn-up.

He leaves with our blessing and a great deal of reluctance but I hope we are fairly compensated for the pain of losing him at this point.

No comments from either club, the player or his agent. There may very well be legs on this but as every party is keeping schtum I'll wait until there is a bid made before making any more of this than transfer window randomness.

14 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Possibly the ‘random European jobber’ card will be used here. 

It's become a Goodwin tradition and for stattos and scrabble fans alike it's always a hoot.

Edited by Ric

15 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I posted that last night and then removed it as I had been told from a friend of Lee Erwin that he was on the verge of signing for a Turkish team, although he didn’t say which one. From what I was told Erwin is more than happy to go and will be collecting a wage many multiples of what he is currently getting at St Mirren.

He will be of absolutely no loss to St Mirren, and I would go as far as saying that it’s a good move for both parties here, as I would be confident in us finding a replacement of a better standard. Possibly the ‘random European jobber’ card will be used here. 

For the first 8 weeks at least.

Worth bearing in mind that Turkish teams have previous for treating paying their players as an optional extra.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

No comments from either club, the player or his agent. There may very well be legs on this but as every party is keeping schtum I'll wait until there is a bid made before making any more of this than transfer window randomness.

It's become a Goodwin tradition and for stattos and scrabble fans alike it's always a hoot.

Always felt Chabbi could have done a job for us if hadn’t spent the majority of his 6 months in Paisley injured. From the, admittedly fleeting, appearances he made he looked to have a bit about him. Sure he also donated £500 quid to a Saints fans group which was very nice of him too. 

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

For the first 8 weeks at least.

Worth bearing in mind that Turkish teams have previous for treating paying their players as an optional extra.

He, along with Anthony Stokes, were also the victim of that Iranian team who signed them on big wages and then left them high and dry forcing them to appeal to UEFA in order to free them from the contract. Turkish teams are known for similar business so I wouldn’t be surprised if it turns out the same. 

11 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Always felt Chabbi could have done a job for us if hadn’t spent the majority of his 6 months in Paisley injured. From the, admittedly fleeting, appearances he made he looked to have a bit about him. Sure he also donated £500 quid to a Saints fans group which was very nice of him too. 

Agreed. However, I know it feels like 6 months, but he was actually only here for not even 6 weeks. He joined 31st January  and last game of season turned out to be 11th March.

He went to a club in the Austrian top flight this season and seems to have made a bit of a reputation for himself as an impact sub. 6 starts and 19 sub appearances and 6 goals/3 assists. Involved in a goal every 91 mins on average which is really superb and poses the question of why he's not starting more if he is so useful.

He could have definitely done something for us, he showed enough in his 2 or 3 fleeting appearances that suggested he liked an early dig.

Edited by djchapsticks

7 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

He, along with Anthony Stokes, were also the victim of that Iranian team who signed them on big wages and then left them high and dry forcing them to appeal to UEFA in order to free them from the contract. Turkish teams are known for similar business so I wouldn’t be surprised if it turns out the same. 

I thought UEFA had introduced regulations to stop this sorta practice, although perhaps I dreamed this.

On a more general note, so far the most worrying aspect of this close season has been the lack of things to worry about.

Edited by btb