The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

15 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Literally the side of their feet collided with each other. I just can't see it myself. I'd be fucking furious if that was given against us. To be fair, we've been on the receiving end of many similar shite decisions, so I'll take the likely top-six place that it's led to and won't lose any sleep over it.

That's what I'm saying - in 2021 it's a penalty.

I didn't see the penalty Celtic got in the 4-0 game although I gather JG complained about it at the time and maybe felt he had to be consistent about Saturday's.

Edited by btb

Anyway, now we know what league we're going to be in next season, and now we have to wait an age* for our next game, I hope we'll be seeing some contract extensions getting announced soon.

Here are the players OOC at the end of the season, (Brophy listed as he's on loan).

image.png.0a903c32219e62fc8c8a0c4b710316cb.png

Of those, I very much hope Fraser, Durmus and Connolly will be getting signed up as matter of urgent priority. Fraser has been excellent, especially during February, and I'm sure Durmus must be running in his sleep at the moment. Poor guy needs a break.

I'd like to see Flynn and Obika given another year, but if we move them along then I'm happy to trust Goodwin's judgement.

I believe JDH will be away now, but I can live with that. The lifting of the salary cap in England here will change the landscape for players like him (and their agents).

Mason won't be back - I doubt we'll see him play for us again - and I don't know enough about the others to comment really.

* Relatively speaking

Literally the side of their feet collided with each other. I just can't see it myself. I'd be fucking furious if that was given against us. To be fair, we've been on the receiving end of many similar shite decisions, so I'll take the likely top-six place that it's led to and won't lose any sleep over it.
True but their feet collided as a result of the County player having a nibble at the ball and failing to touch it. Soft as shite aye but they sort of fouls are given all over the pitch these days. Frustrating as hell, also feel for County.

As you said though, we have had some stinkers go for us and against us and some blatant ones not given this season.

1 hour ago, btb said:

There's not a forward in the land who wouldn't have gone to ground in similar circumstances to Quaner on Saturday - in 2021 that's a penalty every day of the week.

As soon as Hjelde makes the tackle, doesn't get the ball and comes in to contact with Quaner, then it's a foul. A soft one, but a foul all the same.

1 hour ago, btb said:

That's what I'm saying - in 2021 it's a penalty.

I didn't see the penalty Celtic got in the 4-0 game although I gather JG complained about it at the time and maybe felt he had to be consistent about Saturday's.

I’ve got a colleague who has been assistant referee at a few SPFL games this season, qualified referee etc. I asked him about the Greg Taylor incident and was shocked to hear the reply of ‘it’s a definite penalty’, because the players ‘came together’ in his words. That worried me, Taylor gets a slight touch on his back and his legs fold like cooked spaghetti. 

That seems to be the way these days though, as you say these sort of incidents are penalties in 2021. If I hear another commentator say ‘well there was contact’ after a soft penalty claim I will lose the rag. 

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Anyway, now we know what league we're going to be in next season, and now we have to wait an age* for our next game, I hope we'll be seeing some contract extensions getting announced soon.

I wrote quite a lengthy post about this a few months back, so rather than repeat all that I'll just post a link to it...

To summarise though, the (non loanee) players at the time were:

Durmus, Jamieson, Lyness, Fraser, Flynn, Foley, Morias, Obika, Urminsky

Foley and Morias have both moved on and Lyness has signed a new contract, with both Durmus and Obika improving since I wrote the post.

Other than Urminsky who is an unknown to everyone barring some Ayr United fans, I'd happily see all these players sign an extension. In my post I said that maybe Flynn had run his race but that doesn't seem to be the case, and maybe Obika might move on simply because of the players we had contracted but he's also shown his worth to the team.

The only up for debate matter is what is happening to Findlayson and I'm still unsure if he's on a loan with option buy or a loan and must buy. He's going to be on (relevantly) decent wages considering he was at Rangers, so the question is whether he's willing to reduce those in an attempt to force his way into the first team.

Edited by Ric

2 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

True but their feet collided as a result of the County player having a nibble at the ball and failing to touch it. Soft as shite aye but they sort of fouls are given all over the pitch these days. Frustrating as hell, also feel for County.

As you said though, we have had some stinkers go for us and against us and some blatant ones not given this season.

Nah, f**k County. They were absolutely at it in the first game of the season between the two clubs and thought it was a great laugh. Karma humping them twice since then has been glorious.

14 hours ago, Ric said:

I wrote quite a lengthy post about this a few months back, so rather than repeat all that I'll just post a link to it...

To summarise though, the (non loanee) players at the time were:

Durmus, Jamieson, Lyness, Fraser, Flynn, Foley, Morias, Obika, Urminsky

Foley and Morias have both moved on and Lyness has signed a new contract, with both Durmus and Obika improving since I wrote the post.

Other than Urminsky who is an unknown to everyone barring some Ayr United fans, I'd happily see all these players sign an extension. In my post I said that maybe Flynn had run his race but that doesn't seem to be the case, and maybe Obika might move on simply because of the players we had contracted but he's also shown his worth to the team.

The only up for debate matter is what is happening to Findlayson and I'm still unsure if he's on a loan with option buy or a loan and must buy. He's going to be on (relevantly) decent wages considering he was at Rangers, so the question is whether he's willing to reduce those in an attempt to force his way into the first team.

I've got a sneaking suspicion, based on no evidence whatsoever, that we might go in for Liam Polworth by way of replacement for JDH. He's gone way out of favour at Motherwell and is still only 26. I do want to see us add a bit more experience in the middle of the park and and I reckon he'd be a sound addition.

15 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I've got a sneaking suspicion, based on no evidence whatsoever, that we might go in for Liam Polworth by way of replacement for JDH. He's gone way out of favour at Motherwell and is still only 26. I do want to see us add a bit more experience in the middle of the park and and I reckon he'd be a sound addition.

You never know, if we manage to make Europe and while that's crazy talk at this very moment it may be a slim chance in a couple of games time, but yeah.. if we manage it, we could possibly tie down JDH for another year. Sadly I do not see him signing that bumper 3 year contract that's sitting on Goodwin's desk.

I missed out on Connolly in my surmising, although it's part of the main post I linked. I would have thought he'd be keen to sign up at least for another year or so. I don't even know if he's been offered one.

6 hours ago, Ric said:

You never know, if we manage to make Europe and while that's crazy talk at this very moment it may be a slim chance in a couple of games time, but yeah.. if we manage it, we could possibly tie down JDH for another year. Sadly I do not see him signing that bumper 3 year contract that's sitting on Goodwin's desk.

I missed out on Connolly in my surmising, although it's part of the main post I linked. I would have thought he'd be keen to sign up at least for another year or so. I don't even know if he's been offered one.

As much as I like JDH, if he has no intention of signing the deal that's been on the table for a while, I would put him on the bench after the split. Play players who might actually be here next season. 

Don’t think it’s crazy talk regarding us making Europe, we are just one point behind Livi who are in the European spots.
Granted they have two games in hand - one of them is tomorrow against Rangers - but they’re in fairly awful form.
Thoughts of Europe are more for post split right enough, if St Johnstone continue their winning run we might not even make top six. Hopefully they have a hangover induced loss at Accies tomorrow and if they do we that should settle it in our favour. Worst case - but not unrealistic - scenario is they beat Accies, beat Hibs and we lose to Rangers. We will then go into the final game before the split in 7th place on goal difference.

Much as I like JDH and he's going to be an excellent player, there's nothing in the way we've deployed him in his last 8-10 appearances that I'd be particularly convinced we should break the bank for.

If we push him 20 yards further forward an ask him to have a go at unpicking defences, it might be a different story but in that holding midfield role making 5 yards sideways passes, he seriously flatters to deceive.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'm still convinced McGrath is the answer in central midfield and I will die on this hill.

I agree, he's decent on the ball, a decent passer with a good workrate, but I'm not really sure he's creative enough to be a 10 and he's definitely not a winger.

I agree, he's decent on the ball, a decent passer with a good workrate, but I'm not really sure he's creative enough to be a 10 and he's definitely not a winger.

I’m with you on this. It’s not that I think McGrath is pish..he’s a tidy footballer with a decent touch....but he’s overrated by many Saints fans in my opinion.

The simple fact is he doesn’t create very much. He’s been perfect from the spot and scored one or two other important goals. However his delivery at set pieces is pretty poor, his final ball rarely opens the defence and his shooting is too often powderpuff.

When we are playing well he looks good in our system as he retains possession well. Beyond that I’m not sure there’s much more to offer.

Kyle McAllister takes stick from our fans as he gives away the ball too often ..but the fact is he attempts more difficult passes and creates a lot more chances as a result. Sure I read somewhere recently he’s got the 3rd highest number of assists in the league. Not bad for a player who only starts every second or third game and never completes 90 mins.

5 minutes ago, Micky said:

I’m with you on this. It’s not that I think McGrath is pish..he’s a tidy footballer with a decent touch....but he’s overrated by many Saints fans in my opinion.

The simple fact is he doesn’t create very much. He’s been perfect from the spot and scored one or two other important goals. However his delivery at set pieces is pretty poor, his final ball rarely opens the defence and his shooting is too often powderpuff.

When we are playing well he looks good in our system as he retains possession well. Beyond that I’m not sure there’s much more to offer.

Kyle McAllister takes stick from our fans as he gives away the ball too often ..but the fact is he attempts more difficult passes and creates a lot more chances as a result. Sure I read somewhere recently he’s got the 3rd highest number of assists in the league. Not bad for a player who only starts every second or third game and never completes 90 mins.

He's played the full 90 in 2 of our last 4 games.

14 minutes ago, Micky said:

Sure I read somewhere recently he’s got the 3rd highest number of assists in the league. 

Hes joint 9th, on 4.

If you remove the OF then only Tony Watt and Martin Boyle have more, both on 5, so thats maybe what you'd heard.

xA per90 is a fairer metric, as it counts chances they've created, not just chances that were scored, and hes 4th highest in the league, only Turnbull, Christie, and Rogic above him...