The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

On 24/02/2021 at 20:00, Ric said:

So tell me, what difference is the current run we're having compared to the sorts of runs wee Gus would get us to safety with.

The only difference I can see is that we're shitfesting half way up the league rather than at the bottom! ;)

Unless I'm being whooshed there's a massive difference between shitfesting towards safety and shitfesting towards a possible first time top 6 finish. If we get the top 6 we can begin planning for next season knowing a minimum budget and what league we'd be in but if we are shitfesting to survive we can't plan until we know what league we are in, we also have to have done better in the pre split games to be in this position. 

Interesting stuff about Mason.

I'm not sure which Livi game he's talking about but I'm assuming it's the one at Almondvale where he was lucky not to have his ankle snapped by a horrendous challenge.

If that's the case, it's a really, really long time to be walking wounded and would go some way to explain why (Rangers game aside) he's gone from a good option in the wide areas in his early days to really poor.

30 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Interesting stuff about Mason.

I'm not sure which Livi game he's talking about but I'm assuming it's the one at Almondvale where he was lucky not to have his ankle snapped by a horrendous challenge.

If that's the case, it's a really, really long time to be walking wounded and would go some way to explain why (Rangers game aside) he's gone from a good option in the wide areas in his early days to really poor.

Yeah, it's a reminder that you can't always write players off when their form dips: same goes for Brophy who was looking like an underwhelming signing, but turns out he's carrying a stress fracture.

Now we just need someone to diagnose and cure Lee Erwin's ME and Vertigo and we're golden.

Really surprised to see a couple of Saints fans voicing some negative vibes around wether we reach the top 6, recent form etc. Vast majority of St Mirren fans on here are sensible guys and are understandably over the moon to be sitting in 6th position after 30 games.

If you had stood in front of the West Bank a few years ago whilst Ian Murray and Alex Rae had us battling out defeats to Dumbarton and QotS at the wrong end of the Championship, and told them we would be sitting in 6th position at this stage of the season with a chance of 5th place and European football, they would have had you sectioned under the Mental Health act. 

7 hours ago, thomas said:

Unless I'm being whooshed there's a massive difference between shitfesting towards safety and shitfesting towards a possible first time top 6 finish. If we get the top 6 we can begin planning for next season knowing a minimum budget and what league we'd be in but if we are shitfesting to survive we can't plan until we know what league we are in, we also have to have done better in the pre split games to be in this position. 

Don't read too much into it, my point was really just laughing that come the end of the season we're shitfesting, just happens we're doing it 5 places above where we normally do!

I would, however, wager that not confirming a top 6 place we can still plan for the next season knowing what league we are in. We're certainly not getting relegated now - despite my considerable angst surrounding our luck during the middle of the season.

Been a tough month, been a tough watch in all honesty. The players have worked their bollocks off, the frustrating thing is even 1 win, an extra 2 points would have probably cemented the top 6 spot.

Going to be a nervy couple of weeks now, the Fakes haven't been distracted by the cup final and Mellon at United has decided to actually go at teams.

At least our options from the bench have vastly improved which could come in handy today.

County looked decent in Dingwall before they imploded.

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Really surprised to see a couple of Saints fans voicing some negative vibes around wether we reach the top 6, recent form etc. Vast majority of St Mirren fans on here are sensible guys and are understandably over the moon to be sitting in 6th position after 30 games.

Yeah, before the season started, I'd have happily taken 8th or 9th and not in a dogfight. That now seems to be the absolute worst case scenario for us this season and that's quite the feat given how we've suffered as a squad with covid outbreaks, went on a 7 game losing streak and had to play 3 games with an emergency goalie.

That we are where we are now given what was a really difficult start, says a lot about the squad. I'm not being too negative about the prospects. I feel that now, the team, though dead on their feet, has to give one last massive push today knowing that they've a full week to prepare for Ibrox with nothing to lose and then another 2 week break before Accies.

This break is now coming at a vital time for us.

If you had stood in front of the West Bank a few years ago whilst Ian Murray and Alex Rae had us battling out defeats to Dumbarton and QotS at the wrong end of the Championship, and told them we would be sitting in 6th position at this stage of the season with a chance of 5th place and European football, they would have had you sectioned under the Mental Health act. 

Arguably we all should have been sectioned there and then for continuing to turn up to watch the shite those 2 diddy managers were serving up. Particularly Alex Rae’s team because it’s Alex Rae.
I’m not pinning all my hopes on top 6 - it would be good to go into the post-split fixtures without a care in the world but we’ve had a tough run and a number of factors have disrupted us including our own misdemeanours. Between the current league positioning and league cup run we have had a very good season thus far.

48 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Arguably we all should have been sectioned there and then for continuing to turn up to watch the shite those 2 diddy managers were serving up. Particularly Alex Rae’s team because it’s Alex Rae.
I’m not pinning all my hopes on top 6 - it would be good to go into the post-split fixtures without a care in the world but we’ve had a tough run and a number of factors have disrupted us including our own misdemeanours. Between the current league positioning and league cup run we have had a very good season thus far.

I still find it a bit surreal that we ever gave Rae the job, tbh. Worse still was that he actually did alright that first season, but then lost the plot that summer. Thank f**k we binned him when we did or we'd certainly not be sitting 6th in the top flight today. Sliding doors moment, I reckon.

Just now, ayrunitedfw said:

Any of you boys seen much of Peter Urminsky. We have signed him on an emergency loan and he starts in nets for us today. 

Pretty sure he's not even played for our first team. He was signed as 'one for the future' and, to be fair, our scouting has been broadly spot-on recently. Also, Jamie Langfield appears to be an outstanding goalkeeper coach. 

I hope he does well for you.

6 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Any of you boys seen much of Peter Urminsky. We have signed him on an emergency loan and he starts in nets for us today. 

He is a very tall lad and highly thought of. Keep us posted as to how he performs. Good luck to you both.

17 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Honestly, I'd love to know if he's any good. He's way down the pecking order here and without reserve football I think a loan is going to be the only way we'll find out.

I'm absolutely loving this team at the moment. I know it's not always an easy watch, but they ground that out today running on fumes and I don't care how lucky it was. There are no talented wasters, just guys commited to doing the best they can. Everything just feels right about the direction this team, and club, are taking at the moment. We might get top six, we might not, but I'm already excited for next season.