The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Don’t know how I found time to watch these brief highlights tonight, what with me just back from the pub, booking my summer holidays and an early visit to the hairdresser tomorrow, but hey ho.... anyway... I’m sure every Saints fan out there is equally busy, but something caught my eye while watching the highlights.... question for you all. In the build-up to Stevenson’s opener for Hearts - two tackles by St Mirren defenders. If those tackles happened this week, and the two Hearts players scream like they’ve been shot, what do you think? I think two straight reds. Thoughts?

Edit: Forgot about my supplementary question.... Newton’s strike for the third. It goes wide doesn’t it? Surely. It must. One of these times it goes wide. Bookmark this. 😄

Edited by pozbaird

The last few weeks watching Sportscene I thought safe standing was going in at Fir Park....

Turns out they're just replacing seats. On top of that, new toilets, lights and PA system, a fresh lick of paint and a "digital menu" at the pie stalls. I'd imagine our "enhanced experience" will be along similar lines!

I'm old enough to remember how shite standing all game is, while all seater is definitely a little too sanitised, there are no great halcyon days of terracing. I'm certainly not against people being allowed to, after all even all seater sees people on their feet for a lot of the time (depending where in the stadium you are), but I'm not likely to opt for terracing again.

4 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

The last few weeks watching Sportscene I thought safe standing was going in at Fir Park....

Turns out they're just replacing seats. On top of that, new toilets, lights and PA system, a fresh lick of paint and a "digital menu" at the pie stalls. I'd imagine our "enhanced experience" will be along similar lines!

I did wonder the same about Motherwell! We're fan owned soon, so no reason not to introduce safe standing...

8 hours ago, Ric said:

I'm old enough to remember how shite standing all game is, while all seater is definitely a little too sanitised, there are no great halcyon days of terracing. I'm certainly not against people being allowed to, after all even all seater sees people on their feet for a lot of the time (depending where in the stadium you are), but I'm not likely to opt for terracing again.

Not for me either, also an age thing, but I can see the appeal for younger fans. 

Obviously when Thommo plays Teale in down the right-hand channel and the keeper's caught in no-man's land with Isma in acres of space down the middle, I reserve the right to stand up then.

10 hours ago, Ric said:

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Not for me either, also an age thing, but I can see the appeal for younger fans. 

Obviously when Thommo plays Teale in down the right-hand channel and the keeper's caught in no-man's land with Isma in acres of space down the middle, I reserve the right to stand up then.

I want seats right at the back, so I can stand without obstructing anyone's view. Unfortunately I can't get them. The trouble is I also don't qualify for the discount if I try to wait...it's very annoying. 

32 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Interesting that Goodwin is wanting another player in to ease the injury burden but has to be someone who is ready to go now.

Are we allowed to sign loan players just now? Would be surprised if we found any match fit free agents at this stage of the season, unless it's a termination from another club. 

33 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Interesting that Goodwin is wanting another player in to ease the injury burden but has to be someone who is ready to go now.

Standard free agent chat, isn't it?

My bigger concern, if you could call it concern more a 'Roger Moore raised eyebrow' is with him becoming a bit of a rent a quote. I get the idea he's commented on the Taylor dive, and he was right to. To extend it onto diving in general, sure, I get it. He's now aiming at the Rangers lads who broke Covid regs. I mean it's not like he's not wrong in any of the things he's saying, just feel he's being a touch too vocal for my liking.

Interestingly with his new transfer chat he sees being with us for a couple of years before moving on. I wonder how likely that will be. Either he'll run into a really rough patch late next season and end up being huckled out the door, or he'll be gone in the Summer is my thinking.

3 minutes ago, RossC93 said:

Are we allowed to sign loan players just now? Would be surprised if we found any match fit free agents at this stage of the season, unless it's a termination from another club. 

No. But I'd imagine anyone coming in will have had to have been left their club in the January window and have been playing regularly.

Which you'd imagine can't be a huge market.

Sod's law that months went by where we had central midfielders (Foley and Sheron) pretty much surplus to requirements and now that we've let them go......

On the safe standing, the club is big on maximising "income streams". I reckon there could be a decent number of teenagers who might be tempted to come if there was the novelty of standing at the game with their mates. Where else would they have the option? Arthurlie? Capture them at that age and they'll put cash into SMFC for decades to come.

8 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

On the safe standing, the club is big on maximising "income streams". I reckon there could be a decent number of teenagers who might be tempted to come if there was the novelty of standing at the game with their mates. Where else would they have the option? Arthurlie? Capture them at that age and they'll put cash into SMFC for decades to come.

100% this. 

21 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Sod's law that months went by where we had central midfielders (Foley and Sheron) pretty much surplus to requirements and now that we've let them go......

You're right on this. I wonder though if they turned W7 into a standing area, would that impede the view of some folk in W6? 

Enjoyed the q and a last night.

Really interesting to see Jim's blueprint.

Just a quick word about Tony Fitz. I know he comes in for a bit of stick sometimes but his quote last night - 'Thank you to everyone for your support over the past year. It's humbling to be part of this brilliant football club' could easily be turned around. It's actually humbling having a guy like this involved in running our club. The guy just lives and breathes St Mirren and I think we're very lucky to have him working away in the background. Absolute legend of a man.

4 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Yeah, maybe. I was thinking it was just the guys in the back few rows. 

I sit in W3 so I'm not totally sure. 

It's only right that they find a solution that keeps everyone happy - and it's still speculation at this point - but I'm completely in favour of them doing safe standing if they can make it work.

I love the idea of the club doing everything it can to enhance the experience for supporters - especially that group of guys who've done so much to galvanise support over the past few seasons.

On 16/02/2021 at 13:11, Coventry Saint said:

It's only right that they find a solution that keeps everyone happy - and it's still speculation at this point - but I'm completely in favour of them doing safe standing if they can make it work.

I love the idea of the club doing everything it can to enhance the experience for supporters - especially that group of guys who've done so much to galvanise support over the past few seasons.

I think safe standing would be an excellent way to give something back to the North Bank fan group, for what they’ve done for the atmosphere over the past few seasons, as well as some of the displays etc. they’ve put on out their own pockets. I’m sure if they weren’t there we would still have a good atmosphere at the games, but it can’t be denied they make it a lot better. They seem to be pretty well behaved compared to some other fan groups and don’t come across as a bunch of wannabe football hooligans like you see at other clubs. With regards to blocking other people’s views, I’ve sat up the back of W6 numerous times and never had any issues when they’ve been standing, I think the gradient of the stand wouldn’t make that a problem. 

Edited by IrishBhoy