The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

4 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Did you hear the ex pros pissing themselves laughing at his suggestion that players shouldnt go down in the box earlier?

Did you hear David Templeton on OtB earlier today? He pointed out that no professional will turn down the chance to win a penalty because, Duh, its their job to win matches and points.

All that proves is that those people are happy to cheat. The game is better off without them on the pitch, imo.

44 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

I'm looking for 12 points from next 4 games

Might be a tall order given our ever growing injury list,  but now could be the time to blood some of our Academy talent. 

A win against Hamilton midweek will go a long way. 

Hopefully Quaner is back with a point to prove. 

That is the bit that annoys me about players, regardless of who they play for and the ex players who make statements like, ‘he gave the referee a decision to make’, or ‘he’s entitled to go down if he feels contact’.
No they bloody shouldn’t and I don’t care if it’s a Saints players or any other team. It’s cheating plain and simple and it is spoiling the game.

If it wouldn’t knock you down in the street it shouldn’t take you down on a football pitch.
1.000000 % spot on

Just now, Lex said:

In that brutal, near miss season season under Kearney in 2019 we finished 11th with 32 points after 38 games.
We now have 33 points after 27 games.
Progress indeed.

Think you forget the shackles that Oran had. It was a near miracle he kept us up that season after what had happened before him.

I'm pretty sure if he had been the 1st choice after Ross departed, and he had been backed the same way as Goodwin has, it would have been a similar type of season to this one.

19 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Think you forget the shackles that Oran had. It was a near miracle he kept us up that season after what had happened before him.

I'm pretty sure if he had been the 1st choice after Ross departed, and he had been backed the same way as Goodwin has, it would have been a similar type of season to this one.

I don't think he was having a go at Kearney, tbf. We all know what he inherited. But I don't think Kearney would've matched this even if he'd taken over in the summer (2018) because the squad was decimated and needed a significant rebuild. 

Edited by Coventry Saint

4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I don't think he was having a go at Kearney, tbf. We all know what he inherited. But I don't think Kearney would've matched this even if he'd taken over in the summer, because the squad was decimated and needed a significant rebuild. 

Hypothetical really,  but given time Kearney would have been a very decent manager for us imo.

Goodwin is doing a good job for us in difficult times this season,  but will ultimately be judged on where we end up. He has been backed by the board more than any other manager in decades. 

Best thing rat Kearney did for us was work his ticket so he could scuttle back to Coleraine with his payoff and his big sad face, and let us get Goodwin in, a guy who was actually interested in being St Mirren manager.

Great result for United to move a point clear of us but very happy with a draw at Pittodrie. Run-in would seem to favour us....

SMFC pre-split fixtures: HAMILTON, LIVINGSTON, MOTHERWELL, ROSS COUNTY, Rangers, Hamilton

DUFC pre-split fixtures: Rangers, Kilmarnock, CELTIC, ABERDEEN

Wouldn't rule St Johnstone out of the top 6 running just yet but it'll be a tall order if they lose to Celtic tomorrow.

33 minutes ago, GAD said:

Best thing rat Kearney did for us was work his ticket so he could scuttle back to Coleraine with his payoff and his big sad face, and let us get Goodwin in, a guy who was actually interested in being St Mirren manager.

Blinkered. 

1 minute ago, geo87 said:

Kearney was shafted by us (mainly Gus) - heard this directly from a board members mouth at the time. I’m never ITK of anything but have absolutely no reason to doubt this.

Heard more or less the same from a high profile ex employee of the club. 

Some supporters base their opinions on nothing, and some on facts.

49 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I think some people need to learn to ignore the drivel that Lex posts.

Please don't make this like, BAWA - all bickering and name calling.

Hamilton seem to have found some form, which is a bit worrying. On the plus side, Livingston seem to have lost their stride. :) 

11 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

Please don't make this like, BAWA - all bickering and name calling.

Hamilton seem to have found some form, which is a bit worrying. On the plus side, Livingston seem to have lost their stride. :) 

Funny enough watching Sportscene Hamilton looked hungry full of energy.  They looked very good. Clearly their tails are up . We are not meeting them at the right time I feel. 

1 hour ago, Munoz said:
Heard more or less the same from a high profile ex employee of the club. 
Some supporters base their opinions on nothing, and some on facts.

I don't have a clue what happened.

It was always suspicious to me that the Coleraine job was available for a good couple of months, as if they knew OK would be available at some point and they held off for him, then the biggest act of all was he took the job again.

Again, I don't have a clue I'm definitely not an ITK person, just my gut instinct at the time was it was suspicious.

If he was forced out the club, how did it happen? Also, what was the reasoning? Did they not think he was the right man for the job? Not doubting anyone or starting an argument, I am genuinely interested.

Worked out well for us anyway. I wanted Goodwin in after JR but looking back the timing wouldn't have been right for him.

Edited by sergie's no1 fan

13 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I don't have a clue what happened.

It was always suspicious to me that the Coleraine job was available for a good couple of months, as if they knew OK would be available at some point and they held off for him, then the biggest act of all was he took the job again.

Again, I don't have a clue I'm definitely not an ITK person, just my gut instinct at the time was it was suspicious.

If he was forced out the club, how did it happen? Also, what was the reasoning? Did they not think he was the right man for the job? Not doubting anyone or starting an argument, I am genuinely interested.

Worked out well for us anyway. I wanted Goodwin in after JR but looking back the timing wouldn't have been right for him.

His family weren't willing to come over

He then wanted to commute and the club weren't keen on it

That's it

Ultimately it all worked out in the end. Kearney saved us from the drop, then returned to Coleraine (where he seemed happiest anyway) and had a great run in Europe with them. Goodwin joined us, rebuilt the squad and has pushed us towards top 6. Win/win all round I'd say.