The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

4 minutes ago, BC17 said:

Time to score tonight's game off the list and move on.

Big challenge for Jim to freshen things up for Saturday and given the injuries, it's starting to feel a bit like the last time we went up there with a thin squad. We had three players on our bench tonight who've barely played a minute for the first team, and that could become four if McGrath's injury is bad.

I'd be happy to go there and get a shitey 0-0 if it meant we could go into the following four games with our fit attackers in good physical order - although the Aberdeen team of present are nothing to be feared.

Quaner supposedly back for Saturday.  Will be like a new signing- hopefully he's decent. 

5 minutes ago, BC17 said:

Time to score tonight's game off the list and move on.

Big challenge for Jim to freshen things up for Saturday and given the injuries, it's starting to feel a bit like the last time we went up there with a thin squad. We had three players on our bench tonight who've barely played a minute for the first team, and that could become four if McGrath's injury is bad.

I'd be happy to go there and get a shitey 0-0 if it meant we could go into the following four games with our fit attackers in good physical order - although the Aberdeen team of present are nothing to be feared.

The injuries have come at a bad time, given the fact we'll have four home games including Hamilton, Motherwell and Ross County. We should collect nine points from the next four home fixtures, but with a depleted squad and possible formation changes it will be tough.

On 09/02/2021 at 17:16, Coventry Saint said:

Having grown up surrounded by it, I was well into it in the 90s/early 00s. But I find it incredibly boring to watch nowadays. Certainly can't imagine paying the sort of subscription money demanded to watch it.

I live pretty much equidistant from the Stadium of Light and St James's Park: if you climb a hill near my house you can see both grounds on a clear day. It's inevitable my boys will grow up supporting one or the other (as well as Saints, obviously) but honestly, I'd sooner they supported South Shields. Proper football, family club, cheap tickets, and you can have a pint and watch the game from the side.

Tell your boys that they should climb up the hill, look at both grounds, and support the team you can see most clearly. I haven’t been up your hill (ooh err Matron), but I’m sure St James Park will be visible in ultra HD technicolour glory, while the Stadium of Shite will be clouded in a grey fug of impenetrable gloom.

So, there you have it. Like me, your boys are destined to a lifetime supporting St Mirren and Newcastle United. Jesus. 😛

3 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Tell your boys that they should climb up the hill, look at both grounds, and support the team you can see most clearly. I haven’t been up your hill (ooh err Matron), but I’m sure St James Park will be visible in ultra HD technicolour glory, while the Stadium of Shite will be clouded in a grey fug of impenetrable gloom.

So, there you have it. Like me, your boys are destined to a lifetime supporting St Mirren and Newcastle United. Jesus. 😛

Well they both play in black and white, so it would save them money on scarves! :) 

I say forget about English football, and just stick with the Saints! 😇

7 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

Well they both play in black and white, so it would save them money on scarves! :) 

I say forget about English football, and just stick with the Saints! 😇

I enjoy English football, but in a different way to my emotional attachment to one Scottish team. Especially during lockdown. I can happily tune into Spurs v Leicester, Chelsea v West Ham, or whoever v whoever.... while in Scottish football, my only interest is in St Mirren. If (random names here) St Johnstone v Livingston was on TV, the chances of me sitting down to watch it with a chocolate hob nob and a mug of Tetley to hand are precisely zero. I’d rather watch the repeats of Bullseye on Challenge TV.... which, in lockdown, I am doing with worrying regularity.

Each to their own.

Edited by pozbaird

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

I enjoy English football, but in a different way. Especially during lockdown. I can happily tune into Spurs v Leicester, Chelsea v West Ham, or whoever v whoever.... while in Scottish football, my only interest is in St Mirren. If (random names here) St Johnstone v Livingston was on TV, the chances of me sitting down to watch it with a chocolate hob nob and a mug of Tetleyto hand are precisely zero. I’d rather watch the repeats of Bullseye on Challenge TV.... which, in lockdown, I am doing with worrying regularity.

Each to his own. There was a time I enjoyed English football, but the money down south has ruined the game. The FA Cup is no longer shown the respect it deserves, with clubs fielding reserve teams and games scheduled for midweek. Fewer games than ever are played at 3 pm on a Saturday, and VAR is utterly contemptible. I pray to God we never get that shite up here.

I do tend to enjoy the Scottish games, and even quite like watching the Championship fixture on a Friday. 

I’m partial to the odd jaunt down to Newcastle on the train to take in a Sunday game when we play on the Saturday. It doesn’t compare to Scottish football but it is a good day out. Use your influence wisely, Coventry Saint, tell your boys Mike Ashley won’t be around forever. Sunderland have only been good for the Netflix documentary.

Dont think McGrath dislocated his shoulder if not available for Aberdeen would expect to see him back very soon.  Guy's we are having one hell of a season enjoy it as they do not come along that often in the top league these day's. You have to go back to the late 70's early 80's to find the kind of form you are witnessing.  

The injuries have come at a bad time, given the fact we'll have four home games including Hamilton, Motherwell and Ross County. We should collect nine points from the next four home fixtures, but with a depleted squad and possible formation changes it will be tough.
How can you say that our home form is pretty shite.

Dont think McGrath dislocated his shoulder if not available for Aberdeen would expect to see him back very soon.  Guy's we are having one hell of a season enjoy it as they do not come along that often in the top league these day's. You have to go back to the late 70's early 80's to find the kind of form you are witnessing.  

Goodwin has confirmed McGrath dislocated his shoulder. Could be out for weeks, possibly the season depending on how bad it is.

Brophy also has a foot injury which could keep him out a while.

22 minutes ago, ulysses said:

Goodwin has confirmed McGrath dislocated his shoulder. Could be out for weeks, possibly the season depending on how bad it is.

Brophy also has a foot injury which could keep him out a while.

Jeeeesus. Nae luck.

To me it looked like a subluxation as opposed to a full dislocation, so hopefully the damage is minimal. Still fucking painful though. I first did mine in Feb 2000 and I was definitely back playing rugby again a couple months later, and that was without professional physio, so fingers crossed he'll be back soon.

35 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Its hard to remain optimistic about a top six finish with that injury list.

Can't argue with that. The biggest surprise it that it's come at the top of the pitch. I thought we were probably running with too many attackers and too few defenders but look at where we are now.

Massive shame if this derails our season but we'll be fine and I have absolute faith in the management now. So if we miss out, it's fine... we can build next season when crowds are back.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Jeeeesus. Nae luck.

To me it looked like a subluxation as opposed to a full dislocation, so hopefully the damage is minimal. Still fucking painful though. I first did mine in Feb 2000 and I was definitely back playing rugby again a couple months later, and that was without professional physio, so fingers crossed he'll be back soon.

That's what happened to Nicky Cadden at the end of of League One winning season, took him a few months to get back training, then he got another injury on it the following season and was never the same player, always shirking a 50/50 challenge.

Thank feck when this twice a week fixture list is over, injuries are piling up for us too, was relieved when our game got postponed last night, we looked knackered against St Johnstone at the weekend. Good management strategy by Martindale again not clearing the snow.;) 

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Can't argue with that. The biggest surprise it that it's come at the top of the pitch. I thought we were probably running with too many attackers and too few defenders but look at where we are now.

Massive shame if this derails our season but we'll be fine and I have absolute faith in the management now. So if we miss out, it's fine... we can build next season when crowds are back.

Personally I think the wheels are falling off the wagon now. I’ve got no confidence in this team without McGrath pulling the strings. We’ve got absolutely nobody else who can do the job he does for this team.

Maybe someone else will take their chance while he’s out recovering but I’m not holding my breath.

I’m not ready to chuck in the towel just yet. Quaner looked decent in his cameo and if we play Connolly up top with Obika, he has the pace to get onto flick ons plus with Flynn back we have a calming influence in midfield.

Injuries will give other players an opportunity to earn a new deal in the run up........still half full 👍

Personally I think the wheels are falling off the wagon now. I’ve got no confidence in this team without McGrath pulling the strings. We’ve got absolutely nobody else who can do the job he does for this team.
Maybe someone else will take their chance while he’s out recovering but I’m not holding my breath.

McGrath is a tremendous player but we’ve played 70 mins without him against a team far better than us. It is far too early to be that doom & gloom. Only last week Goodwin was being praised for his tactical nous, he should be able to shape the team without McGrath. We’ve got through worse situations than our current situation in this very season.