The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

So here's a bit of trivia I didn't realise. Tony Fitzpatrick actually played in the Bristol City team (twice, it was over 2 legs) that we beat to win the Anglo-Scottish cup. I know that Fitzpatrick had gone down to Bristol for a few years but it's only now I've realised that they coincided with our illustrious trophy winning season.

Another fun fact, you can tell I've been Googling, that I was completely unaware of until now, Morton made the semis after hammering Preston North End 5-1 (in aggregate). Sadly they were beaten by Bristol City in that semi. Just think one of our crowning glories could have been in an "international" Renfrewshire derby!

Newsagent guy who knows I'm a bud told me there is a two page spread in The Sun ( I know shit rag )  One artical is with Gunni who was in the last team to beat Celtic twice home and away plus took full points at ibrox in the same season. The other artical is a interview with Jim Goodwin regarding his ambition who would love to manage a big club and manage the Republic Of Ireland.  Good read. 

1 hour ago, ZingaliMan said:

Newsagent guy who knows I'm a bud told me there is a two page spread in The Sun ( I know shit rag )  One artical is with Gunni who was in the last team to beat Celtic twice home and away plus took full points at ibrox in the same season. The other artical is a interview with Jim Goodwin regarding his ambition who would love to manage a big club and manage the Republic Of Ireland.  Good read. 

Ex-St Mirren hero eggs Jim Goodwin's side on to do double over Celtic on route to top six finish (thescottishsun.co.uk)

10 minutes ago, Torfason said:

Given the PFA got it overturned it will be interesting to see if the clubs agree..........just because the cap is removed it doesn’t mean all Chairmen will increase salaries 🤔

Nah, the way the majority of those clubs are run, I can't see it taking long before they're pissing money up the wall again. 

1 minute ago, Ralstonite said:

How can lower league English clubs, i.e. those below the Championship, possibly have bigger budgets than us? 

Unfortunately for us is that they have on average a bigger fan base and they get more money from TV rights, most importantly they have a big sponsor in Skysports for their league.

6 minutes ago, budmiester1 said:

Unfortunately for us is that they have on average a bigger fan base and they get more money from TV rights, most importantly they have a big sponsor in Skysports for their league.

I don't follow the English game, at all. But we average crowds of ~4,500. I didn't know English lower league clubs attracted that number. Also I would have thought Scottish first tier football had a more lucrative sponsorship deal than English tier clubs. :( 

3 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

I don't follow the English game, at all. But we average crowds of ~4,500. I didn't know English lower league clubs attracted that number. Also I would have thought Scottish first tier football had a more lucrative sponsorship deal than English tier clubs. :( 

The League One league average is about 8.8k, though it's dragged up significantly by four teams that you would consider to be 'big' clubs by most measures and who have all been Premier League in not too distant history (Ipswich were top flight about 2000 ish).

Even if you take the crude fans=£££ budget measure and exclude all other factors then you can see that we'd struggle to compete with most of these.

image.png.e473c7a7a7a01394424d25f728e00119.png

I don't follow the English game, at all. But we average crowds of ~4,500. I didn't know English lower league clubs attracted that number. Also I would have thought Scottish first tier football had a more lucrative sponsorship deal than English tier clubs. [emoji20] 
Sunderland skew it a bit obviously but still some very big and well supported clubs in there.

And as said above the real clincher is the TV/Sky money.Screenshot_20210209-165936.jpeg

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

The League One league average is about 8.8k, though it's dragged up significantly by four teams that you would consider to be 'big' clubs by most measures and who have all been Premier League in not too distant history (Ipswich were top flight about 2000 ish).

Even if you take the crude fans=£££ budget measure and exclude all other factors then you can see that we'd struggle to compete with most of these.

image.png.e473c7a7a7a01394424d25f728e00119.png

You're right! The likes of Oxford Utd, Doncaster Rovers and Rotherham attract far larger crowds than us. Wow!

Except for the Old Firm, Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs, they're all arguably bigger clubs than us. I suppose England does have >10 times our population, to be fair.

7 minutes ago, AberdeenBud said:

Sunderland skew it a bit obviously but still some very big and well supported clubs in there.

And as said above the real clincher is the TV/Sky money.Screenshot_20210209-165936.jpeg

I can't see the second image you posted, but it's bizarre that these clubs get more TV money than us. I f**king hate the English game...I have even saved the Scottish football page on the BBC to my favourites now, so that I don't even get a glimpse of it.

Edited by Ralstonite

1 minute ago, Ralstonite said:

I f**king hate the English game...

Having grown up surrounded by it, I was well into it in the 90s/early 00s. But I find it incredibly boring to watch nowadays. Certainly can't imagine paying the sort of subscription money demanded to watch it.

I live pretty much equidistant from the Stadium of Light and St James's Park: if you climb a hill near my house you can see both grounds on a clear day. It's inevitable my boys will grow up supporting one or the other (as well as Saints, obviously) but honestly, I'd sooner they supported South Shields. Proper football, family club, cheap tickets, and you can have a pint and watch the game from the side.

Time to score tonight's game off the list and move on.

Big challenge for Jim to freshen things up for Saturday and given the injuries, it's starting to feel a bit like the last time we went up there with a thin squad. We had three players on our bench tonight who've barely played a minute for the first team, and that could become four if McGrath's injury is bad.

I'd be happy to go there and get a shitey 0-0 if it meant we could go into the following four games with our fit attackers in good physical order - although the Aberdeen team of present are nothing to be feared.