The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

27 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Maybe I’m naive but JG doesn’t strike me as the Jack Ross Mercenary type of guy, he’s genuinely humble and was at pains to stress how much he owes to the directors for their faith in him given all that happened around Covidgate. 

We had a real poor run at one point where many including me were asking if he was the right man for the job. I’m so happy that he’s proved many wrong and with a fully fit squad, is proving himself to be a good manager at this level. He’s still learning his trade and I think his project with us will go on for a few more seasons before he takes a step up to another bigger club.   

I remember he knocked back Hibs when the club gave them permission to speak to Jim. However when a bigger club comes calling that can quadruple your salary and have resources to spend on players it is a no brainer.  The pandemic will limit the clubs that fall into that category thankfully should see Goodwin have another season with Saints. 

Did Goodwin not knock us back when we appointed Kearney? I may be wrong but I thought he'd ruled himselfl out because he thought he owed Alloa?
Aye. He didn't feel it was the right time and he was proved right.

I don't think he'll flirt with other clubs too.

His stock is rising for sure but he is still learning. I think he still has a bit to do before bigger clubs like Aberdeen would be interested in him. He has taken the defensive shackles off the team and that can only do him good. Clubs would be put off by his extra cautious nature but he is turning that around now.

Honestly? We all know that Goodwin is still learning at this level (heh, sometimes he learns a lesson, sometimes he just repeats the same mistakes!) but going on record he still has a habit of going quite defensive despite all his "I want the team to give it a go". For me, that's been McInnes' failing too, it's not that he hasn't had the money or the manpower but he (admittedly in my limited knowledge) seems to shite it and play safe. Would Aberdeen gamble just now on someone like Goodwin if it's McInnes he's replacing? I doubt it. I think if McInnes goes, Goodwin will no doubt get mentioned but Cormack, and co, will be aiming for someone a little more high profile and with European experience.

Agree Ric, I still think Goodwin has a bit to go before he's looking at moving on from us to be brutally honest. We are going well just now, but there have been done rough patches, and there have been some bad tactical choices and a couple of ropey signings, though I'd say he's probably well in credit on that front. If we finish top six, then are looking good again same time next year, then I think he'll be in the running for some bigger clubs once the post January round of sackings hit, but I can't see it right now, unless somebody is willing to take a big punt.

Good bit of business.

Yep I like Lyness. He’s a really popular guy around the dressing room apparently and he’s quite happy being number 2. And, as we’ve seen, he’s more than capable at this level if called upon.

Hopefully JDH was just waiting on finding out if Lyness was staying.
The JDH situation is looking pretty grim. Was it not December when Jim said he expected it to be done and dusted within a week or so? The longer it goes on the more you assume he has better offers.

I am always spectacularly wrong though so will be delighted when his new deal is announced in a couple of days time.

48 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

The JDH situation is looking pretty grim. Was it not December when Jim said he expected it to be done and dusted within a week or so? The longer it goes on the more you assume he has better offers.

I am always spectacularly wrong though so will be delighted when his new deal is announced in a couple of days time.

Nah, I think you are right unfortunately. I'm assuming if he hadn't signed then there is at least some interest from elsewhere. He may even have ready signed elsewhere.

Edited by GAD

16 minutes ago, GAD said:

Nah, I think you are right unfortunately. I'm assuming if he hadn't signed then there is at least some interest from elsewhere. He may even have ready signed.

It's the crushing inevitability of it being fucking Hibs that's most annoying.

Seriously though, could imagine him looking for a gig down south again. He could get a top half Championship side, I reckon. He said that was his aim from day one so if that turns out to be the case, you'd find it hard to hold it against him.

If I was management, I'd be imploring him to give us one more year. But if he's offered uncapped wages in the English second tier then it'd be hard to keep him.

Edited by Coventry Saint

What's the score with Urminsky? When both Alnwick and Lyness were ruled out during the first covid incident, Goodwin said he looked forward to giving him some game time. Turned out he had to isolate too, but does anyone know if he is any good? He's been with us long enough, and I believe his contract is up this Summer.

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

What's the score with Urminsky? When both Alnwick and Lyness were ruled out during the first covid incident, Goodwin said he looked forward to giving him some game time. Turned out he had to isolate too, but does anyone know if he is any good? He's been with us long enough, and I believe his contract is up this Summer.

Who knows? There's no reserve football to judge. 

One of the things that has to come back next season in general is reserve football to give guys who aren't getting game time a shot at some football. 

Hopefully with the rollout of the vaccine, by August it will be adjudged that the reserve league can be safe enough to return. 

On 07/02/2021 at 08:37, thomas said:

Finishing top 6 would also mean planning for next season could begin much earlier as we 100% know which league we're planning for.

That's a good point.

On 07/02/2021 at 09:23, Hendo said:

Fifth this season gets you into Europe - we're only seven points behind Livi with two games in hand. It would save embarassment all round, Livi wont even get through customs...

On 07/02/2021 at 09:21, Lex said:

No it wouldn’t but fifth would. Livi apparently aren’t invincible as we seen yesterday so that’s a realistic aim for us - but only if we get ourselves in the top six.

Aye, we need to be in the top half of the split in order to finish fifth. Europe would be fun, and would also entitle us to a bye in the League Cup, too. 

But I was considering the potential merits of a sixth place finish! ;)