The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Awww man, that's a scunner, feel for him he was just starting to show great form. Hopefully back for the start of next season in similar form.

While it's a blow for us, the depth chart is fairly deep up top (again not something we're used to) and Big Bad John is balling too. Hopefully Quaner is not too far away, I wouldn't want to be relying on Erwin for much more than cameos. Much rather have Obika than him for next season if we could find someone to take him off our hands.

28 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

There was me blabbing on about the pool of strikers we have.

That's a gutter. Just as well Obika is hitting his stride again.

Any word on Quaner?

Jim said at the pre match conference that he's making progress ahead of schedule and is hoping to have him available for next weekend. 

Given he's our most valuable asset (age, contract length, talent), and has a decent chance of being a near ever-present in the best-performing Saints midfield in at least a generation, then any interested parties would need to show us the fucking money. He's got the physique and the passing range, he can strike a ball, and his game awareness is improving all the time. Still prone to some daft moments but those will disappear with experience.
I know this is the internet and people chuck stupid valuations around like confetti, but if he's not at least a £1m player then we're never going to have one.
I would say Ethan is a superb reader of a game and is excellent at breaking up play but his passing range for me is non existent. I find myself infuriated at the number of times he superbly steps in, breaks up opposition attacks then proceeds to give it back via a poor pass. I think he really needs to work on that aspect or just play a 5 yard pass to a team mate like JDH that has a better passing range. If he could learn to do either I can honestly see him having a Paul Lambert style career, he is probably capable of that level imo.

When the camera panned on to Brophy today and they made a few comments regarding him, I noticed a leg (but not who it was attached to) encased in one of these big plastic boots for injuries just along from him. I hoped it wasn't Dennis. 
He's not having much luck.[emoji20]
We had that exact same conversation at that image. We assumed it was him so not a massive surprise today's news.

Ach well we can always recall Morais .!.!.!

Reading the Aberdeen thread on why Del must go reminded me how fickle we are as fans, so I hope Goodwin’s success doesn’t eventually become a stick to beat him with.

I just hope we can become a stable/boring mid table side without the ‘top 6 is all well and good but we need to kick on’ entitlement creeping in.......... 😎

6 hours ago, Munoz said:

I think its about 50k difference between 6th and 7th.

That's a fair bit of money.

6 hours ago, Lex said:

There is the extra prize money but the two main benefits are:
Securing our highest league finish since the 1985. For a club like us it is fairly ridiculous that we haven’t finished in the top half of the top flight for so long. Would be good to finally get that monkey off our back.
And a shot at European football for the first time since the 80’s. If we get there and hit a run of form post split then Livi could be catchable.
There won’t be an open top bus or anything but it’s certainly worth doing.

Obviously it's good for the club's esteem to be a top-six side, and it proves Tony's detractors wrong. But finishing sixth won't qualify us for Europe. So the only tangible benefit seems to be the money, which is not to be sniffed at, of course. 

7 hours ago, Ralstonite said:

Obviously it's good for the club's esteem to be a top-six side, and it proves Tony's detractors wrong. But finishing sixth won't qualify us for Europe. So the only tangible benefit seems to be the money, which is not to be sniffed at, of course. 

Finishing top 6 would also mean planning for next season could begin much earlier as we 100% know which league we're planning for.

No it wouldn’t but fifth would. Livi apparently aren’t invincible as we seen yesterday so that’s a realistic aim for us - but only if we get ourselves in the top six.

8 hours ago, Ralstonite said:

Fifth this season gets you into Europe - we're only seven points behind Livi with two games in hand. It would save embarassment all round, Livi wont even get through customs...

52 minutes ago, thomas said:

Finishing top 6 would also mean planning for next season could begin much earlier as we 100% know which league we're planning for.

That'd be the main benefit, though if we get a couple more wins on the board relatively quickly then I reckon we can start those plans anyway.

11 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
On 02/02/2021 at 14:02, Coventry Saint said:
Given he's our most valuable asset (age, contract length, talent), and has a decent chance of being a near ever-present in the best-performing Saints midfield in at least a generation, then any interested parties would need to show us the fucking money. He's got the physique and the passing range, he can strike a ball, and his game awareness is improving all the time. Still prone to some daft moments but those will disappear with experience.
I know this is the internet and people chuck stupid valuations around like confetti, but if he's not at least a £1m player then we're never going to have one.

I would say Ethan is a superb reader of a game and is excellent at breaking up play but his passing range for me is non existent. I find myself infuriated at the number of times he superbly steps in, breaks up opposition attacks then proceeds to give it back via a poor pass. I think he really needs to work on that aspect or just play a 5 yard pass to a team mate like JDH that has a better passing range. If he could learn to do either I can honestly see him having a Paul Lambert style career, he is probably capable of that level imo.

I think I disagree on his passing; he does still make passing errors, but I think that's down to decision making rather than ability. He has shown he can pick a pass superbly at times. He's also a lot more forward-looking than I expected him to be prior to this season. 

I think he's got most the ingredients to be a great player and he's getting better all the time. There was a point yesterday when he sort of hesitated on the ball and nearly got into trouble, but he didn't panic, used his strength, held the guy off and found a pass.

The more I watch him the more I think any issues he has are down to being 19 years old. He's going to be tremendous in five years' time if he makes the right choices and works hard.

I think its about 50k difference between 6th and 7th.

The difference in 2018/19 was about £120k (figures weren't released last season for obvious reasons). However, given the new bumper TV deal I'd expect it to be a bit more than that this time, probably £150k at least.

13 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

That'd be the main benefit, though if we get a couple more wins on the board relatively quickly then I reckon we can start those plans anyway.

I think I disagree on his passing; he does still make passing errors, but I think that's down to decision making rather than ability. He has shown he can pick a pass superbly at times. He's also a lot more forward-looking than I expected him to be prior to this season. 

I think he's got most the ingredients to be a great player and he's getting better all the time. There was a point yesterday when he sort of hesitated on the ball and nearly got into trouble, but he didn't panic, used his strength, held the guy off and found a pass.

The more I watch him the more I think any issues he has are down to being 19 years old. He's going to be tremendous in five years' time if he makes the right choices and works hard.

I agree.

Erhahon has made some great "creative" passes this season.

Alan McManus made the point yesterday that Ethan's forward passing was something he needed to work upon and improve his percentage of passes that found team mates.  He then mentioned that he had seen an improvement over the season with respect to Erhahon's pass success rate. 

At 19 he's a phenomenal player and has made huge leaps and bounds this season.

He's going to make us a lot of money in the future.

Regarding the financial benefits of a top 6 finish....

Leanne Dempster was on Off the Ball last week and said that the money received from Old Firm fans paying to watch Hibs TV was significant. Even a home game against Aberdeen rather than say St Johnstone would be an additional 5 figure sum you would presume.

6 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Regarding the financial benefits of a top 6 finish....

Leanne Dempster was on Off the Ball last week and said that the money received from Old Firm fans paying to watch Hibs TV was significant. Even a home game against Aberdeen rather than say St Johnstone would be an additional 5 figure sum you would presume.

Believe we had 8,000 extra PPV buys the week we played Celtic in the league earlier this season.

That's 100k of 'gate money'.

Believe we had 8,000 extra PPV buys the week we played Celtic in the league earlier this season.
That's 100k of 'gate money'.
For a team that has 40,000 thousand ST holders and god knows how many glory hunters in Scotland and beyond, 8000 is proper stingey. I know a lot of will will have ways of watching games for free but still.