The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

5 minutes ago, FTOF said:

An inquiry from Jack Ross and Hibs would seem most likely given his rise to prominence this season.

We most likely told them to GTF.

Given that he signed a contract extension in November, I think he would be content to bide his time and get a big move in the future.

If he's not in the next U-21 squad, then whoever is in charge needs their balls well toed.

Fixed this post for you.

Given he's our most valuable asset (age, contract length, talent), and has a decent chance of being a near ever-present in the best-performing Saints midfield in at least a generation, then any interested parties would need to show us the fucking money. He's got the physique and the passing range, he can strike a ball, and his game awareness is improving all the time. Still prone to some daft moments but those will disappear with experience.

I know this is the internet and people chuck stupid valuations around like confetti, but if he's not at least a £1m player then we're never going to have one.

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Given he's our most valuable asset (age, contract length, talent), and has a decent chance of being a near ever-present in the best-performing Saints midfield in at least a generation, then any interested parties would need to show us the fucking money. He's got the physique and the passing range, he can strike a ball, and his game awareness is improving all the time. Still prone to some daft moments but those will disappear with experience.

I know this is the internet and people chuck stupid valuations around like confetti, but if he's not at least a £1m player then we're never going to have one.

Personally I would put higher valuations on Mcgrath and McCarthy. 1.5 and 2 mill respectively. 

Sadly this is the problem with young footballers now. They see pound signs and between peer pressure and agents, they are always looking for the next move.
Ethan is 19, he has already been let go by Celtic and should be focusing on learning his craft, he is clearly a talent but he is prone to lapses in concentration and a bit of ball watching. All things that will be fixed with a lot of game time, I just hope the lad has people in his life that want what’s best for him and not them.

To that end, I’m not sure a free from Hamilton to Dumbarton would be my choice of council.

36 minutes ago, Torfason said:

Sadly this is the problem with young footballers now. They see pound signs and between peer pressure and agents, they are always looking for the next move.
Ethan is 19, he has already been let go by Celtic and should be focusing on learning his craft, he is clearly a talent but he is prone to lapses in concentration and a bit of ball watching. All things that will be fixed with a lot of game time, I just hope the lad has people in his life that want what’s best for him and not them.

To that end, I’m not sure a free from Hamilton to Dumbarton would be my choice of council.

He's been with our youth system since he was five years old.

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

He was let go while still in the womb, apparently his kicks were a bit feeble...

Edited by btb

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Wiki agrees, complete brain fart as I was sure we picked him up from Celtic years ago........somehow my mind confused him with Mo Yaqub 😳

Old age clearly has its drawbacks 🙈

Edited by Torfason

Back to earth with a tiny bump.

The team has character, 2-0 (preventable) and down to 10 men (preventable again) and still took it to Hibs in the final 10 minutes.

I think teams are starting to go after Tait at left back, last night Hibs kept forcing him inside onto his stronger which is always risky or he was hitting the ball out of play with his weaker foot.

38 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Back to earth with a tiny bump.

The team has character, 2-0 (preventable) and down to 10 men (preventable again) and still took it to Hibs in the final 10 minutes.

I think teams are starting to go after Tait at left back, last night Hibs kept forcing him inside onto his stronger which is always risky or he was hitting the ball out of play with his weaker foot.

I think we might see Tait at right back on Saturday with Mason at left back. Fraser looked fucked last night and I think it'll be his turn for a rest.

2 hours ago, GAD said:

I think we might see Tait at right back on Saturday with Mason at left back. Fraser looked fucked last night and I think it'll be his turn for a rest.

Been thinking that for a while, would like to see it. Fraser is decent, but habit of misplacing a pace or giving away a silly foul.

3 hours ago, GAD said:

Yeah, there's bound to be a fair bit of rotation over the next few weeks. 

Wasn't massively impressed with the decision to put Durmus on the right, btw. If we're playing two up front surely you want to be hitting the byline and getting crosses in as quickly as possible. Dunno, might just be me. 

21 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yeah, there's bound to be a fair bit of rotation over the next few weeks. 

Wasn't massively impressed with the decision to put Durmus on the right, btw. If we're playing two up front surely you want to be hitting the byline and getting crosses in as quickly as possible. Dunno, might just be me. 

Yeah, actually thought Durmus played ok to be honest, but maybe with two up you don't need your wingers cutting in. To be honest, I actually thought Goodwin pretty much got it correct last night with the setup and the changes. I think we were the better team until the sending off, and even after that we were well in it. Just individual errors cost us.

27 minutes ago, GAD said:

Yeah, actually thought Durmus played ok to be honest, but maybe with two up you don't need your wingers cutting in. To be honest, I actually thought Goodwin pretty much got it correct last night with the setup and the changes. I think we were the better team until the sending off, and even after that we were well in it. Just individual errors cost us.

Yeah, I wasn't criticising Durmus, in case that came across. He's been great recently and was my MoM vs Celtic. Just a few weeks ago I was ambivalent about whether he was staying beyond the summer and now I really hope he is. I suspect his agent will be looking for another fee, though.

Edited by Coventry Saint

The great thing for me is that both Durmus and Connolly are now passing into the box mostly instead oh high crosses that our strikers never get to. Last night we had two small strikers so high crosses were a waste.  Durmus likes to shoot so bringing him on from the right is worth a try as he is more liable to get a shot off. I think Jim was simply trying to increase our firepower.

2 hours ago, Ralstonite said:

A wee reminder that polls close on the SMISA £2 fund tomorrow. Two excellent causes - lassies' kits & new equipment for St. Mirren TV. 

It was three excellent causes. Women’s team kit, SMTV equipment, or a sign for Jak Alnwick’s locker. 😀

7B3BC7B5-60B8-4269-8385-B8D1EA338B9F.jpeg