The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Ah well, suppose it's safe to say it now that the window is shut...

The player I'd expected us to get over the line Friday/today was 21 year old Bournemouth left back and Zimbabwe internationalist, Jordan Zemura, on loan.

For whatever reason though, it's clearly not came off.

Edited by djchapsticks

12 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Ah well, suppose it's safe to say it now that the window is shut...

The player I'd expected us to get over the line Friday/today was 21 year old Bournemouth left back and Zimbabwe internationalist, Jordan Zemura, on loan.

For whatever reason though, it's clearly not came off.

Zimbabwe? You must have Harared it through the grapevine.

There are two ways of looking at these things. 

Yes, theres no-one new on on deadline day, but we've managaed to hold on to every member of our squad that we've wanted to retain. There's been chat on here about Obika to Motherwell, last week has had a load of media attention on our players and staff.  Looks like we've kept hold of the irish lads, and bolstered our forward options.  I liked Foley, a good committed professional who looked after the youth.  Wasn't featuring, good business moving him on.

Good window for us.  

21 minutes ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

There are two ways of looking at these things. 

Yes, theres no-one new on on deadline day, but we've managaed to hold on to every member of our squad that we've wanted to retain. There's been chat on here about Obika to Motherwell, last week has had a load of media attention on our players and staff.  Looks like we've kept hold of the irish lads, and bolstered our forward options.  I liked Foley, a good committed professional who looked after the youth.  Wasn't featuring, good business moving him on.

Good window for us.  

Exactly.

We've built a capable squad and hopefully the next few weeks sees us comfortable enough to be in a position to retain some of our out of contract players. We will of course try and improve in the summer but I feel we need to retain a settled squad.

Guys like Durmus, Connolly and JDH are musts to stay IMO. Fraser probably too...I do think we will upgrade in that area but he's a very solid option and rarely lets us down.

Obika and Flynn should all probably stay too but can understand reasons for either of them not being offered to given Jim has been very vocal about younger players getting playing time.

McCarthy and McGrath need to be offered extensions ASAP as well. Next season is their last and they are hugely important to us.

Was he expecting a move or something, because it can't be down to him not getting game time as he's certainly getting that. He's contracted to us until 2023, so if he forces a move, we at least don't need to sell him cheaply.

Edit: Could it be anything to do with internetional callups?

Edited by Ric

Probs wouldn't read too much into that. Did wonder if he's been rested for tonight (completely feasible if JDH and Flynn are fit to start) - but he's had so much game time, surely he wouldn't be kicking off about that. 25 appearances so far this season. He's been a revelation, tbh, but I think being rested, especially during Feb, and also playing with more experienced players, will do him the world of good.

21 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Erhahon had that very strange loan to Barnsley (U23s) this time last season. Maybe, they're sniffing around again. They'd have to get the cheque book out though because he signed a new contract end of November.

An inquiry from another club would seem most likely given his rise to prominence this season.

We most likely told them to GTF.

Given that he signed a contract extension in November, I think he would be content to bide his time and get a big move in the future.

If he's not in the next U-21 squad, then whoever is in charge needs their balls well toed.