The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

24 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

WE WANT MOAR ATTACKERS!!1!!!1

I can't see that we need one, tbh, and it's more likely to be a 'forward' than a striker, IMO.

Having said that, it might be pie in the sky but having seen how we played at the weekend, I could imagine us trying to push the boat out for a loan for Greg Stewart. I think we need a 'buzzing round the main striker' kind of second striker and the Killie fans pretty much to a man said he brought out the best in Brophy.

McAllister did that role BRILLIANTLY at the weekend; if Obika was more mobile he'd be good at it, too, but we have got a lot of games coming up, so I could make a case for Stewart, certainly. Plus, if we're on for top six, Rangers might see the value in strengthening us vs the rest. Not that anyone is coming close to them now.

Gérard has been quoted in saying the currants want a six figure fee for Stewart. He's OOC at the end of the season so can't see him going anywhere on loan.

2 minutes ago, Stan Bo said:

Do we know if Mason is going? Or wonder if it’s a left footed central defender more than a left back. We don’t have the Foley CH option anymore 

If we're still in the hunt for the same guy as we were on Friday, it's a left back.

Though given Goodwin's comments it's not quite there yet so there will likely be other options.

Had a wee look on Google Earth around the city in Turkey Stevie Mallan is going to. Looks a bit of a shithole. The stadium was just being built (on Google Earth) and looks like its in the middle of the desert well away from the city. Best of luck wee man. Day trip to Iraq or Syria if he fancies it.

Edited by pozbaird

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Had a wee look on Google Earth around the city in Turkey Stevie Mallan is going to. Looks a bit of a shithole. The stadium was just being built (on Google Earth) and looks like its in the middle of the desert well away from the city. Best of luck wee man. Day trip to Iraq or Syria if he fancies it.

Fair play to him for being prepared to try something new. You're right: Turkey is a bit of a rollercoaster of social development standards, though I'm sure a footballer will be stopping in a nice area.

I'd have liked to have signed him, but you always get the impression a Turkish club might pull out mad money for signings. The main challenge is often getting them to actually pay the wages they offered, mind.

6 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Fair play to him for being prepared to try something new. You're right: Turkey is a bit of a rollercoaster of social development standards, though I'm sure a footballer will be stopping in a nice area.

I'd have liked to have signed him, but you always get the impression a Turkish club might pull out mad money for signings. The main challenge is often getting them to actually pay the wages they offered, mind.

Indeed. Fair play to him. Looks a million miles away from what I imagine would be a very interesting and lively Istanbul though. I know it’s a bit rich, someone born in Paisley saying a city in Turkey looks like a shithole, but, erm, it does.

Edited by pozbaird

7 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Lot of stories go about of Turkish clubs offering a fortune plus accommodation etc., only for players to turn up, be housed in an absolute shitehole with no furniture, then spend 3 months getting no money.

Not far from Syria either.

Daft move really.

Edited by RandomGuy.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Lot of stories go about of Turkish clubs offering a fortune plus accommodation etc., only for players to turn up, be housed in an absolute shitehole with no furniture, then spend 3 months getting no money.

Not far from Syria either.

Daft move really.

I’ve just remembered Mallan spent time in Barnsley. He’ll think he’s landed in Manhattan when he gets to Turkey.

Edited by pozbaird

26 minutes ago, Stan Bo said:

Do we know if Mason is going? Or wonder if it’s a left footed central defender more than a left back. We don’t have the Foley CH option anymore 

Sean McLoughlin ?

5 minutes ago, billyg said:

Sean McLoughlin ?

He seems to be getting a few mentions, but is it just wishful thinking? Guess Charlie Mulgrew fits the bill of a left sided CB too, he was mentioned a week or so ago.

23 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

He seems to be getting a few mentions, but is it just wishful thinking? Guess Charlie Mulgrew fits the bill of a left sided CB too, he was mentioned a week or so ago.

Mulgrew has had a few howlers on loan at Fleetwood and got sent off at the weekend.

6 hours ago, Ric said:

I think it's deeper than that, we've somehow conditioned ourselves as being a yo-yo team. As "happy" in the Championship as we are at the bottom of the Premiership. Yet when I first started supporting, we were top division side and finishing top half was almost expected.

1351472990_Screenshot2021-02-01at16_01_54.png.42e6e314450c8f3e9f696c10c22e9f90.png

Taken from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_St_Mirren_F.C._seasons

We had a great period from 1977/78 until 1991/92, which was an unbroken spell in the top flight. Over the last fifty seasons, i.e. since 1970/71, we've spent 28 seasons in the top flight, with 22 spent in the second tier = 56% of the last 50 years as a top tier club. I believe the top tier consisted of 18 teams until the 1975/76 season. 

As a club, I'd argue that we're no bigger than Falkirk, Dundee FC or Partick Thistle. Until we attract a bigger support or find a sugar daddy, I think we can realistically expect to be a yo-yo club.  However, as I have stated many times before, Motherwell and Kilmarnock are a similar size and punch above their weight, so it's possible.

16 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

1351472990_Screenshot2021-02-01at16_01_54.png.42e6e314450c8f3e9f696c10c22e9f90.png

We had a great period from 1977/78 until 1991/92, which was an unbroken spell in the top flight. Over the last fifty seasons, i.e. since 1970/71, we've spent 28 seasons in the top flight, with 22 spent in the second tier = 56% of the last 50 years as a top tier club. I believe the top tier consisted of 18 teams until the 1975/76 season. 

As a club, I'd argue that we're no bigger than Falkirk, Dundee FC or Partick Thistle. Until we attract a bigger support or find a sugar daddy, I think we can realistically expect to be a yo-yo club.  However, as I have stated many times before, Motherwell and Kilmarnock are a similar size and punch above their weight, so it's possible.

Just what we needed. A graph showing Tier levels. Fcuk off Leitch.

32 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Sounds like shite.

It does. After we 'outbid Aberdeen and Hibs'* to sign Eamonn Brophy, agents all over Scotland will be chucking our name in to secure an extra few hundred a week for players.

* No need to rake up why that's not necessarily the whole story again.

29 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

That spell of 15 years as a second tier side with only one season in 2001 in the top flight set a full generation of St. Mirren fans, myself included, to a mindset who see survival as A1 priority.

That being said, I've always said that our rightful place in Scottish football is anywhere from 7th - 15th on the overall ladder with obvious outliers.

I think outwith the OF, you'd put Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs as the next 3 traditionally 'biggest' clubs in Scotland and following that about 8 or 9 clubs who you'd realistically stick in the 3rd tier in terms of size. Dundee, Dundee Utd, Motherwell, Kilmarnock, St. Johnstone, St. Mirren, Dunfermline, Falkirk and maybe Partick Thistle. This third tier of clubs will always be interchangeable in terms of size relative to one another.

Edited by djchapsticks