The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

32 minutes ago, GAD said:

Defo not Tony Fitzpatrick anyway!

No, the two of them are pictured next to one another here:

https://www.kibble.org/news/a-sporting-chance-for-our-young-people/ 

This seems to be the original photograph, which The Record used:

https://www.stmirren.com/all-news/3591-board-members-from-kibble

ETA:

2088852318_Screenshot2021-01-30at22_37_19.png.648c262b8c9f5e785867aaa1a42f6630.png

Edited by Ralstonite

2 hours ago, AW saint said:

Kristian Dennis looking the part now. Keep him fit we have a goalscorer at last. Hope we manage to bring in another couple of players before the window shuts. 

He was very good in his first start vs Hibs - literally the only bright point of a dreadful first half and then he did his heel right on half time - we never saw him again for weeks and then upon his return, was clearly off the pace.

Delighted he's back in the team and looking good. His ball retention is excellent and he's got a proper predatory instinct.

He was very good in his first start vs Hibs - literally the only bright point of a dreadful first half and then he did his heel right on half time - we never saw him again for weeks and then upon his return, was clearly off the pace.
Delighted he's back in the team and looking good. His ball retention is excellent and he's got a proper predatory instinct.

He’s our first choice striker now.
Just look at that impact he’s had since he came on at tannadice.
Two goals one assist. Match it or get out.
What a find by Jim.
I hate to judge early but I look at Kristian and I look at Eamonn and I think...
Brophy is trying to be the player that Dennis already is.

18 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Amazing that all the blind love for Obika is quietly disappearing now fans can see what a proper striker does.

Disagree. We’ve more striking options this season, but Obika wasn’t far off a goal every two games last season and scored important ones.

4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

35 typically. Might require more this season because it's so tight at the bottom.

So hypothetically a team on.....lets say....43 points and which has not exactly been firing on all cylinders should be safe from a playoff?

Thank christ.................

1362085742_Screenshot2020-12-07at08_49_39.png.a8eddec94f720c66a7b1d7b5e8ac83d5.png

24 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

35 typically. Might require more this season because it's so tight at the bottom.

There is roughly 40 points left, 36 for County, 42 for Hamilton (45 for us!).

Winning 1 in every 4 games for any team at the bottom of the league is probably about right, it's nearly 1/5 for County, Hamilton and Motherwell but as we all know the pressure of being at the sharp end can bring out an improvement on that.

Just going on simple back of a fag packet maths, that would suggest the low 30s will be enough. I find that a bit low as you'd expect Motherwell to improve, County to become considerably more stuffy if not necessarily winning lots and Hamilton, well, they are Hamilton.

Unrelated to CS's comment above, I think people are being a bit premature with Dennis. I've been a bit of a flag waver for the lad for a while, as his movement and ball retention (when he finally got in the team) had looked good even if he wasn't scoring goals, but I wouldn't suggest Obika is suddenly relegated to an also ran. Managers haven't had time to study how to counter Dennis yet, and Obika still had a very important job for us between now and the end of the season. That said, I think that with Erwin and Dennis both being contracted until 2022 and Brophy for longer, it's probably the case that we'll not see Obika stay after the Summer. The question is, when he realises this (if he hasn't already) it's all about whether he goes out with a bang or a whimper. You'd hope it'd be the former, after all he's certainly made a name for himself amongst our support, but you never know.

Disagree. We’ve more striking options this season, but Obika wasn’t far off a goal every two games last season and scored important ones.

His hatred of Obika is bordering on the bizarre.
Jon was fantastic when he came on yesterday.

36 minutes ago, Ric said:

There is roughly 40 points left, 36 for County, 42 for Hamilton (45 for us!).

Winning 1 in every 4 games for any team at the bottom of the league is probably about right, it's nearly 1/5 for County, Hamilton and Motherwell but as we all know the pressure of being at the sharp end can bring out an improvement on that.

Just going on simple back of a fag packet maths, that would suggest the low 30s will be enough. I find that a bit low as you'd expect Motherwell to improve, County to become considerably more stuffy if not necessarily winning lots and Hamilton, well, they are Hamilton.

Unrelated to CS's comment above, I think people are being a bit premature with Dennis. I've been a bit of a flag waver for the lad for a while, as his movement and ball retention (when he finally got in the team) had looked good even if he wasn't scoring goals, but I wouldn't suggest Obika is suddenly relegated to an also ran. Managers haven't had time to study how to counter Dennis yet, and Obika still had a very important job for us between now and the end of the season. That said, I think that with Erwin and Dennis both being contracted until 2022 and Brophy for longer, it's probably the case that we'll not see Obika stay after the Summer. The question is, when he realises this (if he hasn't already) it's all about whether he goes out with a bang or a whimper. You'd hope it'd be the former, after all he's certainly made a name for himself amongst our support, but you never know.

What I would say is that Dennis' movement is definitely a step up. Making crosses and meeting crosses is a two-way thing. It's one thing saying the forwards get no service, but the forwards have to make the right runs. In back to back games now we've seen Dennis make darting runs to get on the end of simple balls into the box, from which he has scored.

Simply put, he's making it easier for that service to happen.

Despite what Killie fans are saying Brophy needs some time to get properly up to speed and in tune with his new team mates.

It takes time for players to forge partnerships and find their feet at a new club. Stevie Clarke got the best from Brophy Jim Goodwin is a similar type manager who will bring out the best in him.

Folk need to calm down here. Dennis has been excellent the last two games, but Obika played well in both of them too and Brophy has only made four appearances. Dennis deserves to start on Tuesday anyway but there's been some huge overreactions.
It's understandable given how utterly woeful we've been in front of goal until, well, this week.

I wanted to say a word about Ilkay Durmus, a player I believe goes under the radar. He wasn't at his best early in the season but I believe he was one of those who'd been affected by Covid.

He's scored 6 goals for us since joining at the start of last season and we haven't lost any of those games - in fact we've won 5 of them from a single goal. In short, he scores big and important goals for us.

He doesn't always have the best end product but no winger in the world always produces the goods, it's in the nature of their job. He's never let the team down. I hope he's one of the players we're looking to get on a new contract - decent wingers are very hard to come by.