The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

11 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Banjoing our way into the top 6 with 3 games in hand. 

What a fucking reaction we've had to last Sunday.

200.gif

It's the way it's been done, too - seven goals and a win away at Celtic. Phenomenal. Unbelievable.

2 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

It's the way it's been done, too - seven goals and a win away at Celtic. Phenomenal. Unbelievable.

Quite literally unbelievable.

Tannadice, no wins since about 2011. Parkhead, no wins in 31 years.

It was about as big a 'shit...no points, well at least we already have points on the board' week as you could have picked.

10 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I would just like to reiterate that my thread title was honestly 100% earnest and in no way self-deprecating when I changed it at the start of the season.

I demand you change it to reflect our European qualification chances.

Just magnificent despite concerns at the starting line up. To pump both the cheeks in the space of a few weeks is absolutely fantastic from Goody and the boys. Add in today was on the back of a thrashing of Utd at Tannadice and it makes it a superb response to what was a sore one last Sunday.

We have a real foundation now to launch ourselves into the sort of position no one would have even dared back in the Autumn. Let's hope we grasp it.

The league table isn’t lying, we are the sixth best team in the country. If we add a wee bit of consistency that’s where we will finish.
Going into February with safety all but guaranteed means we can let the shackles off a bit and go for teams. I think it’s unlikely we will catch Livi in 5th but we are closer to them than we are to 11th and we should be looking to reign them in. Just seven points behind them with two games in hand.
Going into this season we hadn’t beaten either side of the OF since 2013. We’ve beaten both of them within a few of months and we are still the only team in Europe to beat Rangers this season.
That result at Tannadice is our biggest away win in the top flight since the 80’s. That unbeaten run at the end of last year was the longest in the top flight since the 60’s.
Jim is doing special things with this team and he will be attracting interest from elsewhere. Celtic looking at him after today? Hmm, they could do a lot worse. Just need to enjoy it while we can, gutted we can’t watch it up close.

Shame your manager waited until after the Semi Final to take the shackles off, tbh.

Both Saints hitting form in time for it and it would've been a cracker.

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
19 minutes ago, sergie said:
I feel like a dog that has finally caught the motor driving past.

What do we do now? Crying shame the pubs are shut. Paisley would be rocking.

The boy just said there "imagine what the Banky would have been like tonight " brings it all home no matter how much we all enjoyed today.

On the flip side, it’s a bit parky out there tonight. From the comfort of your own armchair, charge your glass, stay nice and warm, easy access to a lavvy, and a fridge full of beer, waiting for Sportscene. Hell, phone the Chinese for your favourite dish, delivered direct to your door. Far from pine for the Banky, I plan to make this the most satisfying and enjoyable lockdown evening known to mankind. Beer 1 duly despatched. Things could get messy, but who fcuking cares, I don’t even need to find a taxi home. I’m here already. Thank you Jim Goodwin, you handsome basturt’. You’ve just made Tier 4 no’ bad.

40 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

6 days ago some folk weren't sure if Goodwin was the right man for the job. 

1.45pm when the team was announced some of the knickerwetters on twitter were right on his case again. 

Hard to see past Dennis as the 1st choice striker at the club after Tuesdays cameo and his 60 minuted today. Dennis was great today, McAllister as well. He's had plenty of criticism this season but he deserves recognition for his 60 minutes today alongside Dennis. The back 3 were wonderful today, particularly Shaughnessy, but Marcus Fraser continues to be as steady a performer as anyone in the team whether that is at right back or part of a back 3 as today. He's been a great acquisition by Goodwin largely gone unnoticed. 

Not going to get carried away after the past couple of results as we are St Mirren after all - but we are certainly in a good position at the moment. February is a huge month for us starting on Tuesday. I'm glad Goodwin took the opportunity to rest some players today and not to rush Doyle-Hayes back. A defensive addition to the squad before the end of the month and I think we are in decent shape for the remainder of the season.  

24 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

1.45pm when the team was announced some of the knickerwetters on twitter were right on his case again. 

The posts on twitter on facebook are hilarious in hindsight. Full of people moaning saying "what the fucks that line up about" and "Jim's on the wind up" pre-match. 

Despite Celtic being shite you can't just go gung ho at them. Danny Lennon did that once and got humped, you need a good defensive basis and try to get players forward to support your attacks. We did that really well with Connelly and Durmas. Dennis didn't impress me at all at the start of the season but he looked right good this afternoon. 

1 hour ago, Lex said:

I think it’s unlikely we will catch Livi in 5th but we are closer to them than we are to 11th and we should be looking to reign them in. Just seven points behind them with two games in hand.

Still to play them at least once more, possibly twice.

They are readily catchable.