The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

13 minutes ago, ulysses said:

Hopefully someone that can fill in at CB as well as LB.

Something about Jim's transfer moves still gives me the fear he might fancy a 5-3-2 sometimes. I guess it would allow us to play two up front at more difficult grounds, where he wouldn't want to go 4-4-2. Like tomorrow.

Never known anything like this season. So many players who will have joined the club, then left the club, without us ever seeing them play. No jokes about Steve Archibald or any number of other signings prior to Covid please. Don’t know about anyone else, but when lockdown started in March 2020, I was kind of OK with it, cracked on, set up a wee gym in the hall, got reading some books, decorating, all that..... starting to struggle with it now. Really missing the fitba’, seeing my family, going to a gig, everything.

5 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Never known anything like this season. So many players who will have joined the club, then left the club, without us ever seeing them play. 

Who was the Norwegian chap? Strange one, that. Doesn't even feel like that was this season.

6 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Never known anything like this season.

Another fun stat, and I could be proven wrong here but I've given it some thought and I can't seem to think of another season when we have sold our club captain not once but twice.

27 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Something about Jim's transfer moves still gives me the fear he might fancy a 5-3-2 sometimes. I guess it would allow us to play two up front at more difficult grounds, where he wouldn't want to go 4-4-2. Like tomorrow.

5-3-2 with wing backs pushing forward when we have possession, would be a good formation, IMHO. Solid, but with scope to attack. 

11 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

Pal Fjelde

10 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Are you thinking of Thorvaldsson, he was Icelandic.

The last Norwegian we had was Pal Fjelde.

That's the fella (it's the Thor in his name that keeps convincing me he's Norwegian). Cheers. Thought he looked alright in the five minutes I can remember seeing him play.

Edited by Coventry Saint

11 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

5-3-2 with wing backs pushing forward when we have possession, would be a good formation, IMHO. Solid, but with scope to attack. 

Might work now we have better striking options and potentially Flynniesta in the middle. But I tend to think it's an awful formation.

12 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

That's the fella (it's the Thor in his name that keeps convincing me he's Norwegian). Cheers. Thought he looked alright in the five minutes I can remember seeing him play.

I saw him in Sainsbury's more than on the pitch at St Mirren! I guess he was just homesick given how quickly his move back to Iceland was arranged. 

16 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Jim said way back at the start of the season that there was a real dearth of left backs even using this expensive software we have that picks out potential signings. Looks like maybe one has been identified now.

The only local one I can think of is Waters who is coming to the end of his contract at Killie. Injured for the next few weeks though and seemingly attracting interest from England.

Please don’t 🙏

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

February league games

Hibs (H) -2nd
Killie (H) - 6th
Celtic (H) - 10th
Aberdeen (A) - 13th
Hamilton (H) - 17th
Livingston (H) -20th
Motherwell (H) -24th
Ross Co (H)- 27th

OOFT

Just as well the pubs are shut, my liver couldn't handle 7 home games in a month.