The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I suppose a good bar to gauge our progression against are the following facts:
  • We currently have 26 points after playing 22 matches.
  • In 2018-2019 it took us 36 league games to hit the 26 points mark. Indeed, this was because of a particularly good run of form. We were on 12 points after 22 games.
  • In 2019-2020, going into the last game against Hearts (at the 29 match mark), we had 26 points. The win took us to 29 points after 30 matches. We had reached 19 points after 22 matches.
We are currently massively ahead of our historical trend at this point in the season. In fact, it's the best we've been at this point of the season since 2011-12 when we had the same points haul at this point.

I think we are all but safe, and it’s January, it’s unknown territory. Six of our next eight games are at home and our record in Paisley is fairly good. Only Rangers have beaten us there since September. Nine or more points from those eight games will do it and we would be in a good position to push for top six.
The progression we have made under Goody is clear and sustained. I just hope we can get him on a new contract soon.
My main memory of that 11/12 season is losing a league cup quarter final at home to Ayr United, thankfully we made up for it the season after.

Was pleased for Dennis making an impact last night. It's a funny thing, but most folk seem to have agreed very early on that there's something about him, even based on very little evidence. 

Watch his darted run to get on the end of that Flynn pass for the goal... as Flynn moves into the box, Dennis holds/times his run to absolute perfection. He makes up a huge amount of ground, leaving United's carthorse defenders for dead, in a split second. He looks really sharp. 

Can't help but feel Connolly may have played his way onto the bench. Using him as a terrifying impact sub seems the sensible route for the time being, especially as defenders seem to have sussed him out to a degree.

57 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Watch his darted run to get on the end of that Flynn pass for the goal... as Flynn moves into the box, Dennis holds/times his run to absolute perfection. He makes up a huge amount of ground, leaving United's carthorse defenders for dead, in a split second. He looks really sharp. 

He also started the move for his goal with a clever bit of play in the middle of the park getting the ball into space for Flynn.

9 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Dennis looks a better bet to grab goals than Brophy. 

Most strikers in the league are a better bet to score goals than him because he’s just not a very good striker. Genuinely not being funny here but Brophy must be fucking raging that McGrath is your penalty taker considering that was one of the main things he was good for. 

23 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

Most strikers in the league are a better bet to score goals than him because he’s just not a very good striker. Genuinely not being funny here but Brophy must be fucking raging that McGrath is your penalty taker considering that was one of the main things he was good for. 

McGrath is the best penalty taker I've ever seen, bar Ian Scanlon.

Albeit Scanlon's penalties, from fading memories, were a lot less subtle.:lol:

21 hours ago, BC17 said:

Fair play to Jim and the team, they've pulled that out the bag tonight when few of us expected them to.

It looks like the return of Flynn to the midfield might be just what we've been looking for - he brings a calmness and a touch of class. And, going by his run for the fifth goal, is fit enough.

It's frustrating that all of this comes too late to make the League Cup final - which is a massive missed chance - but onwards and upwards. If United are currently a top-six side, there's no reason we can't be if we just get a settled team.

Ah, who'd have thought this time yesterday we'd be reading such lovely stuff!

Just now, Billy Jean King said:
53 minutes ago, FTOF said:
Albeit Scanlon's penalties, from fading memories, were a lot less subtle.emoji38.png

Peter Weir and Tam Black were excellent at them too.

as was Iain Munro.

9 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I’d love to see us get another left back to cover for the magnificent Richard Tait. Looks like the young lad Mason is returning to Coventry.

Coventry just signed Reid, a left back, from County. Can't see any reason to bring Mason back down the road.

3 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I’d love to see us get another left back to cover for the magnificent Richard Tait. Looks like the young lad Mason is returning to Coventry.

Anything in the grapevine about this? Or is it just based on his absence and poor performances?

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:
2 hours ago, FTOF said:
Albeit Scanlon's penalties, from fading memories, were a lot less subtle.emoji38.png

Peter Weir and Tam Black were excellent at them too.

Tom Black for me. It didn’t seem worth making him take it, just give him the goal and restart the game.