The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

There's a few around today if you Google Jim Goodwin.

He's also confirmed that LB from Huddersfield isn't coming in, but has said he's still hoping to add 'one or two' players this window.

A playmaker would be good

While I totally understand the "we could do with a playmaker" claim, and it's certainly nothing I'd disagree with, but where would they fit into the squad as of now?

McGrath, JDH and Erhahon are all in the centre of midfield for a reason. Granted none of them are playing great just now but we all know why they are there. MacPherson is on the fringe, Flynn and Foley are still present within the squad and the forgotten man Sheron continues to remain with us. We're unlikely to pick up a Dorman, so anyone we bring in will be a gamble so who are we to replace with a gamble?

While I totally understand the "we could do with a playmaker" claim, and it's certainly nothing I'd disagree with, but where would they fit into the squad as of now?
McGrath, JDH and Erhahon are all in the centre of midfield for a reason. Granted none of them are playing great just now but we all know why they are there. MacPherson is on the fringe, Flynn and Foley are still present within the squad and the forgotten man Sheron continues to remain with us. We're unlikely to pick up a Dorman, so anyone we bring in will be a gamble so who are we to replace with a gamble?

So you're suggesting the midfield which has been virtually non-existent in recent games, and fails to create plentiful clear-cut chances for our striker(s), is irreplaceable?

Motherwell are interested in St Mirren’s Sam Foley, writes Scott Burns.

Fir Park boss Graham Alexander is keen to strengthen his midfield options before Monday. 

Foley is an option he is looking at to see if a deal can be done.

Motherwell’s recruitment chief, Martin Foyle, has put the 34-year-old forward.

He was also on the radar of former boss Stephen Robinson and is now of interest to Alexander, who was aware of Foley from his time in England.

The 34-year-old is currently out-of-favour with the Buddies and is looking to get back playing.

Premiership rivals Ross County also previously expressed an interest earlier in the window but Staggies boss John Hughes has now strengthened with other targets.

8 minutes ago, BC17 said:

So you're suggesting the midfield which has been virtually non-existent in recent games, and fails to create plentiful clear-cut chances for our striker(s), is irreplaceable?

Don't ask me the question, answer it.

10 minutes ago, greenock saint said:

Absolutely wouldn't be surprised. To anyone looking in from the outside they must see Foley as a pretty solid addition to their squad. Experienced, somewhat versatile, unlikely to be on high wages and (presumably) desperate to get some game time.

My fear is, probably like most, that he'd be an asset to the teams around us. Not just from his ability but his in depth knowledge of our team.

1 hour ago, greenock saint said:

Fir Park boss Graham Alexander is keen to strengthen his midfield options before Monday. 

Foley is an option he is looking at to see if a deal can be done.

Motherwell’s recruitment chief, Martin Foyle, has put the 34-year-old forward.

He was also on the radar of former boss Stephen Robinson and is now of interest to Alexander, who was aware of Foley from his time in England.

The 34-year-old is currently out-of-favour with the Buddies and is looking to get back playing.

Premiership rivals Ross County also previously expressed an interest earlier in the window but Staggies boss John Hughes has now strengthened with other targets.

This wouldn't surprise me at all.

Foley was excellent last season but just fell massively out of favour this season. The extended break from March did his 34 year old legs no good whatsoever.

I'm OK with this if we bring in someone better in central mid.

2 hours ago, Ric said:

My fear is, probably like most, that he'd be an asset to the teams around us. Not just from his ability but his in depth knowledge of our team.

If Sam knows our tactics then he is doing better than most............including the players 😛

I wouldn’t want Foley going to one of our rivals, but there’s no question that his performances this season were poor. Looked a shadow of last season.

In saying that, and I’m going to slightly contradict myself here, I’d put him back in the line up tonight, deserves another go.

2 hours ago, BC17 said:

I would happily see any of the three of them dropped/replaced if it meant our midfield had more presence and impetus. Wouldn't you?

It's not really answering the question though. All three have had a dip in form but when playing well deserve a place in the starting line-up. Any "attacking midfielder" we bring in will be a gamble, so who are you going to drop from those three.

3 minutes ago, ulysses said:

I wouldn’t want Foley going to one of our rivals, but there’s no question that his performances this season were poor. Looked a shadow of last season.

In saying that, and I’m going to slightly contradict myself here, I’d put him back in the line up tonight, deserves another go.

Might not be a bad idea, purely to see where he is, whether that's motivational or physical. He would get the chance to either return himself into contention or  put himself into the shop window and add a few thousand to any fee. As @BC17 says, and most of us agree with, the midfield has been lacking a little recently.

19 minutes ago, Spam_Valley said:

Erhahon or MacPherson. Both have been shite recently. More so Erhahon.

MacPherson isn't starting, and Erhahon is in there because it's clear he is progressing. Ignoring the time he was hung out to dry as a left back it's clear that while he's had a dip, removing him from the squad on a permanent basis would derail that development, and that's the thing, bringing in a creative midfielder would mean a permanent demotion from the starting line up.

The problem with young players and in JDH, Erhahon and McGath we have a young midfield combination is consistency. I have a feeling Goodwin persists because he knows that the more game time they get the better they will become as a unit, even if it means some weeks of lower performance. The gamble I suppose is knowing when the time comes to shuffle things a little.

Now, could Erhahon be given some time on the bench to allow us to evaluate where Foley or Flynn are these days? Sure, I totally get that, maybe even starting from tonight, but I'm not so sure about replacing him on a more permanent basis.

Just to be clear, I am absolutely not saying these players should be picked no matter what, we have depth in the squad for a reason, I'm also not saying we wouldn't benefit from a Dorman-esque player in the midfield, we absolutely would. I just feel Goodwin has painted himself a little into the corner and he should make what we have work better rather than just adding to the side. The caveat, of course, is if we can move on either Flynn or Foley (and both would go with some sadness from me, as I believe they are both dedicated servants that, for whatever reason, haven't had the opportunity this season) which would necessitate us entering the transfer market.

All that, of course, is predicated on the assumption we could find a Dorman-esque player. It's hard to find them at the best of times, but with the current financial climate, (the hateful tory) Brexit and of not least covid mixed in with this being the Winter window, it doesn't necessarily bode well.

1 hour ago, ulysses said:

Totally agree. With JDH out, McPherson suspended I think, and Erhahon below par just now, Foley surely has to start tonight. If the midfield change tonight is McAllister starting, I fear the worst.

2 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

I would go Flynn ahead of Foley. He’s just got a bit more guile, or at least did have...

Thing is, do we know for sure if Flynn can even kick a ball at the moment? If the reserve league (or whatever the f**k it's called) was running, maybe he'd be closer, but I can't see how we can drop him straight in, as much as peak Ryan Flynn would be exactly what we need right now.

I feel like if he was fit, in any meaningful sense, we'd have seen him from the bench a few times by now.

Just now, AW saint said:

Time to give Foley a chance to regain some form. Flynn is a wide player so better to go with Foley

Actually not sure I fully agree with that - I always felt Flynn was better through the middle. But actually, yes, probs better to go with Foley/Erhahon for the time being.

As I've said elsewhere, of our current crop of midfielders (including wingers and AMs), I reckon only Erhahon, McGrath and McAllister, possibly Cammy at a push, will still be with us for the start of next season.

Edited by Coventry Saint