The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Playing Brophy up front himself doesn't work but he's looked good as part of a pairing.

Playing Erwin up front himself doesn't work but he's looked good as part of a pairing.

Playing Obika up front himself works to a lesser extent but he definitely always looks better with a partner up there with him.

I mean....it isn't fucking rocket science to see what needs to be done.

The bigger picture is Jim doesn't think other parts of the side are capable enough to go man for man, there lies your problem or you'd be playing 2 up top.

15 hours ago, CambieBud said:

We won’t be in any trouble this season..

I should say I agree with the rest of your post, but I'd like to highlight this one assumption. I am just not that certain. I'm by no means a 'knicker wetter' and people should know that by now, but I've had the feeling (and I've used the phrase a few times already) that we could be facing a death by a thousand cuts this season. Not sure why I feel it, I certainly don't fear relegation, hell I'm old enough to have seen a few and they don't overly phase me as they used to, but I have a niggling feeling that luck is going to conspire against us. The "best team in ages" tag doesn't help dispel that notion even though it's pretty much correct.

56 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

The bigger picture is Jim doesn't think other parts of the side are capable enough to go man for man, there lies your problem or you'd be playing 2 up top.

29 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Not going to dwell on yesterday enough has been said. Was good to read Louis Morgan watches all our games on TV wee man must have affection for the club ❤️. Hope we go 442 against United

Other than Scottish football, I don't tend to watch that many games. English Premier League games sometimes and the occasional Spanish game. Are there many teams that play 2 up front? St Johnstone did against us, Dundee Utd do, Kilmarnock??

I can't think of many in teams in England that play 2 up front, I know that Atletico Madrid do and are flying.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't play 2 up front but I'm also not convinced that it will be some sort of silver bullet. We've had some excellent performances this season playing with 3 in the middle of the park, 2 wide players and Obika up front. 

6 minutes ago, Ric said:

I should say I agree with the rest of your post, but I'd like to highlight this one assumption. I am just not that certain. I'm by no means a 'knicker wetter' and people should know that by now, but I've had the feeling (and I've used the phrase a few times already) that we could be facing a death by a thousand cuts this season. Not sure why I feel it, I certainly don't fear relegation, hell I'm old enough to have seen a few and they don't overly phase me as they used to, but I have a niggling feeling that luck is going to conspire against us. The "best team in ages" tag doesn't help dispel that notion even though it's pretty much correct.

I'm rarely openly optimistic, but I think we'll be fine. By my very rough calculations, four more wins and four more draws would be enough, getting us to 39 points. I can't see all four of the teams below us beating that total.

We're currently on 1.09 PPG; we'd need 0.94 PPG for the rest of the season to reach 39 points. The danger is that Jim susses this and plays for draws for the 17 games.

17 hours ago, Killiefan said:

Playing Brophy up front himself doesn’t work.

I've seen a lot of Killie fans saying that, but he played plenty of times as a lone striker in the second half of the 2018/19 season (and occasionally at other times) and was a crucial part of the team even if he didn't score a lot of goals. He was the lone striker in both the 2-1 wins over Rangers in that season, for example.

Lowest scoring team in the top flight, I’d say we are bang in a relegation scrap. I don’t know where the next 3 points are coming from and it’s highly unlikely that it’s going to be at Tannadice, where our record is nothing short of abysmal. 

How long does it take for JG to find out his preferred starting eleven, and why is he constantly playing defensive football with players who quite clearly are not comfortable with this tactic.

2 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Lowest scoring team in the top flight, I’d say we are bang in a relegation scrap. I don’t know where the next 3 points are coming from and it’s highly unlikely that it’s going to be at Tannadice, where our record is nothing short of abysmal. 

How long does it take for JG to find out his preferred starting eleven, and why is he constantly playing defensive football with players who quite clearly are not comfortable with this tactic.

I'm not overly worried yes first half was a big disappointment.  There is not a bad team in there we have 6 home games . Tannadice who knows maybe we will see a reaction let's hope so. 

18 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Lowest scoring team in the top flight, I’d say we are bang in a relegation scrap. 

True and it is a concern but it's also worth noting that we've played the fewest games. Ross County and Dundee Utd haven't scored that many more than us and we've got 3 and 4 games, respectively, in hand over them. 

No complaints about yesterday. There really wasn’t much between the teams but overall Livingston outfought us. My biggest gripe is that there is not one Livingston player who is significantly better than our squad but for 30 plus years we have struggled with good players to score goals. I am not having a go at Goodwin but with the players we have, we should be creating so much more

I genuinely believe we have a better squad than Livi. Problem is we are not playing to our strengths. The signing of Brophy puzzles me as he needs a partner and we dont play 2 up top. We lack a genuine playmaker. I would part with a few fringe players and get in better quality in the middle of the park.  Shaughnessy doesnt impress me either. 

3 hours ago, AW saint said:

I genuinely believe we have a better squad than Livi. Problem is we are not playing to our strengths. The signing of Brophy puzzles me as he needs a partner and we dont play 2 up top. We lack a genuine playmaker. I would part with a few fringe players and get in better quality in the middle of the park.  Shaughnessy doesnt impress me either. 

Seriously? 

I'm not sure any of your players would get into a straight 11. 

14 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Seriously? 

You’re on decent run, but don’t kid yourself that you are anything special. You can go down as quick as up. The players you have wouldn’t have any other team in a desperate state to sign them.

19 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Seriously? 

Dream on.

You're good, at present, but not that good. If you were you'd have put three or four past us yesterday. 

Edited by FTOF