The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

5 hours ago, CambieBud said:

Best squad we’ve had for years and, importantly, a lot of them on 2 and 3 year contracts. Future is looking much brighter than this time last season

My only fear is if there's no end to the lockdowns, will folk again go out and buy season tickets in numbers?

I understand we sold ~3,500 this year. I hope folk back the club, but some may not be able to afford it and, if there's no sign of fans being able to return to the stadium, many others might not bother. 

There is one slightly dirty cloud on the horizon. Not saying this could happen, just saying it's maybe not beyond the realms of possibility.
County get some form of result from their game against Livi, even just a point. On the 14th the SFA announce that forfeiting the games was not the right decision. The SPFL then decide that the punishment should be docked points, of a similar value. 6 points docked (which imo would be incredibly harsh, but this is the SPFL we're talking about) would put bottom of the league.
I'm not saying this _will_ happen, just saying it's not outwith all possibility.

John Kennedy’s interview today may have came at a good time for us. There should be an investigation into those admissions as I believe they were still required to follow the SPFL rules while out in Dubai but obviously failed to do so. However, they may only investigate if they were to be unable to fulfil any fixture, highly unlikely given their squad size.
I would think the £40k suspended fine should suffice as I doubt any personnel at the club will be in rush to create this chaos again and we get the slap on the wrist. There is of course the other instances of clubs being unable to fulfil fixtures after the Scottish Government informed the SPFL those fixtures can not go ahead which they proceeded to rearrange and should not be forgotten by both sides of the argument.

Imagine the delight from Hearts fans though if that came to pass and then the season was suspended.

Believe points per game average would be used and we’d be fine in that instance. Which would be especially delightful.

My only fear is if there's no end to the lockdowns, will folk again go out and buy season tickets in numbers?
I understand we sold ~3,500 this year. I hope folk back the club, but some may not be able to afford it and, if there's no sign of fans being able to return to the stadium, many others might not bother. 
I've been wondering the same. I'd imagine the uptake would be less than this season but by how much who knows. Ill certainly renew anyway.

11 hours ago, Ralstonite said:

I would hazard a guess that by this June & July we should have seen most of the population having the first batch of vaccine.

If it goes well enough then I’d be hopeful of seeing reduced crowds with social distancing for next season.  Maybe that’s a bit optimistic but who knows it could happen.

12 hours ago, Ralstonite said:

Was watching Andrew Marr this morning where a professor said social distancing will still be in place next winter.  

1 hour ago, ZingaliMan said:

Was watching Andrew Marr this morning where a professor said social distancing will still be in place next winter.  

Oh dear! If that's the case then we will be relying on the charity of our core support, as will most clubs. Will it be enough, though?

8 hours ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

Celtic just Tweeted that one of their players has come back from Dubai with the virus.  This combined with all the other breaches should mean that our games in hand should be played.  

Shouldn't it...?  

With any luck it’ll be Scott Brown and he got it off that pint tumbler he was holding at his poolside sunlounger.

Edited by pozbaird

5 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Fucking hell. 

Selective quoting, eh. Knock yourself out. One of them has it, I’m not responsible for that, I can’t change that, so if anyone in their squad has it..... while the rest of us are stuck doing fcuk all, bar buying baked beans fae’ Tesco... excuse my lack of empathy with the chunts. Let’s be clear, I’d rather none of their squad had it, but seeing as how one does....

Edited by pozbaird

Two cracking edits, there. Especially the second post which you changed entirely and added about 400 words to. If you're having a go at "selective quoting" don't then absolutely shit the bed and change your posts to make it look like you said something completely different. Someone has caught covid and you wrote "Hope it's Scott Brown". It's, at best, terribly thought out. 

Edit : sorry, you started it "with any luck it'll be Scott Brown.." 

Edited by Mr. Alli

20 minutes ago, Ric said:

Interesting to see the Dundee poster taking the high ground is also the same one that posted Goodwin looked like a paedophile the other day.

Yes, saying Goodwin reminds me of Gary Glitter because of his facial hair is exactly the same as wishing a deadly virus on a certain footballer. Cracking spot as always, Ric. 

Just now, Mr. Alli said:

Yes, saying Goodwin reminds me of Gary Glitter because of his facial hair is exactly the same as wishing a deadly virus on a certain footballer. Cracking spot as always, Ric. 

You had several ways to play that card, the correct one was clearly to admit you and pozabaird were both indulging in a bit of banter that strayed over the line, instead you decided to double down - and in the process being somewhat cavalier in dismissing a certain crime as "bater worthy" so much so you are willing to repeat the claim.

Still, I have no axe to grind here, and at least to your credit you didn't deny it. Just interesting to see you are quick to push the indignation button. A statue with clay feet, as it were.

Anyway, let's not dwell on that particular issue, and get on with St Mirren chat. After all that's the purpose of this thread.

The 14th could have a huge impact on our season, it all depends on what the SFA decide and, in turn, how the SPFL respond to that. It could be argued in many ways it's even bigger for both Hamilton and Motherwell. Reinstatement of the points will jump Motherwell up to 8th (separated from 7th by goal difference albeit having played a game more) while Hamilton would leapfrog St Johnstone, dropping the Perth club into the play off spot.

Of course, the SFA may decide that the forfeiture is an overly harsh punishment, and I think there is definitely argument to be had there - especially in light of other club's transgressions. This leaves the SPFL with a decision to make on what the punishment should be (if any). I think it's unlikely, and not least because the SPFL are somewhat arrogant in their attitude, that they will back down. Certainly we all expect the fine to remain, and maybe increased and perhaps even made permanent rather than suspended.

The real stooshy comes should they decide to play the games but dock points. I think docking points could put the SPFL into a bit of an awkward position, because they've decided to lump both the covid guideline breaches and the games being called off as one case (in retrospect it would make the situation a lot easier for them if they had dealt with them separately) as it would set a precedent and to do so mid way through the season seems somewhat targetted rather than objective. If points docking does happen then it's a case of how many. If the games are to be played, it would seem unreasonable for those points to reflect the same that could be gained from playing them.

There is another option available and that is fines and/or bans aimed at the specific players who flouted any guidelines (and what exactly happened is not in the public domain). For reference Jones and Edmundson were banned for 7 games for attending a party. In terms of equivalence is that the same as car sharing (as has been suggested by some)? If it is a ban we don't know who it is who had breached the guidelines. The loss of a player on the fringes would be notably less of an impact than one of the first team.

It remains to be seen what the outcome will be, but there is absolutely no doubt that it will have an impact on the relegation battle.

3 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

I didn’t wish a deadly virus on a footballer. It was announced one of the Celtic first team squad had it anyway. Given that news, I hoped it was Scott Brown, who got it from his pint tumbler, which he was photographed with on a sunny Dubai poolside sunbed, while the rest of the country are facing even stronger Covid lockdown restrictions.

Basically, away and fcuk yourself, Mr Alli, and any other fcuker wishing to twist my words to make it sound like I wish illness upon anyone.