The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

21 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

That’s right I remember he got sent off at Tanndice, didn’t realise it was the very next game. Sure the opening game was a Friday night away to Dunfermline live on Sky, where St Mirren did absolutely everything apart from putting the ball in the net. 

Steven Thompson was obviously brilliant for St Mirren but I was very much underwhelmed by Teale, League Cup final assist aside. Considering the level he had came from I expected him to be better. Remember being on a bus back from a game the same season as the League Cup win and everyone was singing ‘Teale, Teale will tear you apart again’, and a guy pipes up ‘the next time Teale tears someone apart it will be the first time’. :lol: 

I liked Teale, he didn't contribute by means of goals but he was really good at pulling defenders out of position and freeing up that space for McGowan and Thompson.

Think Paul McGowan also benefitted from him being there. I was underwhelmed at signing McGowan after his less than stellar loan spell from Celtic but that first season with us as our own player, he was excellent and that was down to having guys like Teale and Thompson around him.

50 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

That was right at the start of the season, maybe the second game. He was just untouchable that day and the excitement was everywhere as we had a full new forward line of him on the left, Teale on the right and Thommo leading the line.

We went to Tannadice the following week buzzing about him and he got sent off for elbowing a Utd player in the face and I think that was the game we also lost Darren McGregor to the first of his two cruciate injuries.

Not quite. He did, well I suppose you could call it a football version of a rugby hand-off but that wee w**k of a Ref Crawford Allan deemed it violent conduct and sent him off.

After Thommo had scored for us they equalised with a John Daly sclaff.

13 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Not quite. He did, well I suppose you could call it a football version of a rugby hand-off but that wee w**k of a Ref Crawford Allan deemed it violent conduct and sent him off.

After Thommo had scored for us they equalised with a John Daly sclaff.

Right, it was still more of an elbow than Duckens' red card in the playoff final was, though. :lol: 

I watched highlights of that game the other day and still got angry.

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I liked Teale, he didn't contribute by means of goals but he was really good at pulling defenders out of position and freeing up that space for McGowan and Thompson.

Think Paul McGowan also benefitted from him being there. I was underwhelmed at signing McGowan after his less than stellar loan spell from Celtic but that first season with us as our own player, he was excellent and that was down to having guys like Teale and Thompson around him.

Aye I was probably being harsh on him due to the level he came from and being an international etc., but I remember when it was reported we had signed Teale I genuinely thought a top 6 finish was guaranteed, with Thompson signing too. Had a look on Wikipedia at the squad from that season just to refresh my memory; McGregor, Tesselar, McGowan, Hasselbaink, Thomson, Goodwin, Carey, Thompson, Teale... that really should have been a squad capable of a top 6 finish. 8th place that season was celebrated due to it being the highest league finish in years, but looking back I think the team underperformed. 

3 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Aye I was probably being harsh on him due to the level he came from and being an international etc., but I remember when it was reported we had signed Teale I genuinely thought a top 6 finish was guaranteed, with Thompson signing too. Had a look on Wikipedia at the squad from that season just to refresh my memory; McGregor, Tesselar, McGowan, Hasselbaink, Thomson, Goodwin, Carey, Thompson, Teale... that really should have been a squad capable of a top 6 finish. 8th place that season was celebrated due to it being the highest league finish in years, but looking back I think the team underperformed. 

The squad was let down defensively in terms of ever pushing on to top six.

Attacking, we were very good. Definitely worthy of a top six finish. And yet we still only scored 39 league goals in 38 games that season. Amazing really.

Mair, Van Zanten, McAusland, Barron, Samson though, doesn't scream of top six at all. Maybe it would have been different if we hadn't lost Darren McGregor so early in the season as he was definitely good enough to hold our defence together.

The forward players from back then combined with our keeper and defenders from now would have definitely been a squad worth reckoning with.

7 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Frank was only 5'' 9" so hardly gangly. He was a one-off though, brilliant with both feet and superb in the air.

McGarvey was just ahead of my time. I'm sure I saw him as a 4 or 5 year old in his second spell but I can't remember him.

My old man used to do quite a bit of decorating work for him and McGarvey said that opposition players couldn't read him and didn't know what he was going to do as he didn't even know what he'd do himself.

8 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Frank was only 5'' 9" so hardly gangly. He was a one-off though, brilliant with both feet and superb in the air.

Those rubber legs made him more gangly than any six footer !!

16 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Mair, Van Zanten, McAusland, Barron, Samson though, doesn't scream of top six at all. .

The forward players from back then combined with our keeper and defenders from now would have definitely been a squad worth reckoning with.

I was going to say that amongst the quality there was some poorer players although Mair and Van Zanten weren’t the worst players on their day, and Barron would have ran through brick walls for St Mirren. 

That would be some team, the back 5 we have just now are probably the most competent bunch of defenders I’ve seen at St Mirren. If Shaugnessy could cut out the brain farts he seems to have every couple of games you could make a case for them being the best defence in the league outside the OF. 

59 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I played against him at fives when he was still playing Junior. The guy was just amazing 🙌🏻

27 minutes ago, Torfason said:

I played against him at fives when he was still playing Junior. The guy was just amazing 🙌🏻

I played against him on 29/04/2002 in the very 1st Saints Aid game.

The Saints legends were mainly the 87 cup winning team...

Money, Cooper, Brian Hamilton, McGarvey, McDowall. Lexy Richardson also played.

Lambert and Ferguson were still pros at the time so cou;dn't make it.

Edited by Arch Stanton

6 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I fucking love guys like that. Nigel Hasselbaink and Stelios are the first names that spring to mind. On their game unplayable, off their game, a man down.

Every team should have one. That wildcard where you know within 5 touches if they are on it or not.

Also heard him described as a big lumbering mess who is so awkward and unorthodox that players just don't know how to defend him. You'll think he's lost the ball, 2, 3, 4 times and yet he'll emerge at the other side with the ball still at his feet and no idea of how he's managed it.

Give me more of that shit! Consistent 6.5/10 is fucking dull.

Sounds more Tade than Hasselbaink tbh.

9 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I fucking love guys like that. Nigel Hasselbaink and Stelios are the first names that spring to mind. On their game unplayable, off their game, a man down.

Every team should have one. That wildcard where you know within 5 touches if they are on it or not.

Also heard him described as a big lumbering mess who is so awkward and unorthodox that players just don't know how to defend him. You'll think he's lost the ball, 2, 3, 4 times and yet he'll emerge at the other side with the ball still at his feet and no idea of how he's managed it.

Give me more of that shit! Consistent 6.5/10 is fucking dull.

Completely agree. 

The epitome of the type of player you described was of course Crawford Baptie. 

Not sure we've seen the best of either Connolly or Dennis so it would be a shame to see either leave the club (imo).
Erwin, too, we've not seen the best of, the question really is what is his best.
Tell you what though, it's interesting to see Goodwin being very proactive in comparison to other St Mirren managers. Granted many of them have been limited with budget, but most have stuck with players even if they aren't providing the goods. Morias wasn't delivering so Goodwin has gone out and got Dennis, and when (albeit injury hampered) that didn't work out he stumped up for Erwin and when that doesn't look like it's going to pay off (at least in the short term) he's brought in the Quaner.
You make one good point there but also raise another !

9 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

You make one good point there but also raise another !

If it's "why do we keep on buying players rather than get the right one first time?" then, yeah, it's a fair point to raise. Other than the Championship winning side, we've been a fairly low scoring side, but generally a good defensive one. While managers come and go, perhaps there is just an "overall club mindset" albeit a vague one, that results in that.