The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

This morning's signing was a surprise and made me think that big Jon's time at the club could be coming to an end.....

Could be personal reasons? Can't have been easy the past 9 months for some of the guys whose families are in different countries. Obika's a Londoner and it is not a good situation there at the moment. Maybe has a club willing to take him in the south east and would like to be back with his family?

24 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Noticed that too, think every signing under Goodwin has went out the way to mention him. He was personally picking up the new signings from the airport/train station when they first arrived and giving them a tour around Glasgow/Paisley etc. Must be very reassuring for a player to come up here and be met with a manager with so much passion and commitment to the club, and make the player feel wanted from the outset. 

Goodwin does speak very well and I can imagine him being a motivating character around the training ground. A manager like that, who can convince players to sign for the club initially and then keep them motivated throughout the season, is a massive asset. 

I don’t know anything about football and man management, but I know this much - I spent four or five hours in Jim Goodwin’s company as he was in our team at a St Mirren golf day. The way he spoke about football, young players, training, etc... he was passionate, and genuinely, made me think (this was a few years ago), that he was absolute top manager material.

Edited by pozbaird

7 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I wouldn't say that, you know how to design superb football kits.

Aw, shucks. Thanks... Three easy steps.

1. Make the stripes the same thickness as the ‘Fergie’s Furies’ kit.

2. Have stripes on the back.

3. Incorporate the sponsor logo in a sympathetic manner.

That’s it. 😀

15D69973-8259-4E62-BD45-6E6252078909.jpeg

Edited by pozbaird

We will definitely offload. Quaner can play wide-right and is creative and quick , might mean an early departure for Dylan Connolly. Erwin or Dennis will likely go out on loan , more likely Erwin. 
Why would we be thinking about off loading Connolly, he has been a major part of the upturn in form.

27 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I don’t know anything about football and man management, but I know this much - I spent four or five hours in Jim Goodwin’s company as he was in our team at a St Mirren golf day. The way he spoke about football, young players, training, etc... he was passionate, and genuinely, made me think (this was a few years ago), that he was absolute top manager material.

Well I’ve never met him in my puff but he gives off those exact vibes. He’s a very deliberate speaker, doesn’t waste a lot of words and it’s evident that everything he says has been  thoroughly thought over by himself. Jack Ross speaks in the same way, very authoritative and confident and makes you listen to what they are saying.  It’s a very rare skill to be able to speak in that manner, one which I wish I had myself. 

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, billyg said:
We will definitely offload. Quaner can play wide-right and is creative and quick , might mean an early departure for Dylan Connolly. Erwin or Dennis will likely go out on loan , more likely Erwin. 

Why would we be thinking about off loading Connolly, he has been a major part of the upturn in form.

Indeed. He was fantastic against Rangers, in the cup!

No chance Connolly will go IMO. 

Most likely is let Dennis go out for 6 months to get him the sharpness he's not getting with us for now. There is potentially something there in terms of ability but lack of reserve football is killing his chance of getting any momentum. I'd like to keep him at the club but he needs to get that 6 months of regular fitba to get up to speed. 

Edited by djchapsticks

7 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, billyg said:

Just a hunch . He's only contracted till May and having seen Quaner , I don't see them both in the same side. 

Not sure we've seen the best of either Connolly or Dennis so it would be a shame to see either leave the club (imo).

Erwin, too, we've not seen the best of, the question really is what is his best.

Tell you what though, it's interesting to see Goodwin being very proactive in comparison to other St Mirren managers. Granted many of them have been limited with budget, but most have stuck with players even if they aren't providing the goods. Morias wasn't delivering so Goodwin has gone out and got Dennis, and when (albeit injury hampered) that didn't work out he stumped up for Erwin and when that doesn't look like it's going to pay off (at least in the short term) he's brought in the Quaner.

Edited by Ric

Noticed Huddersfield fans on Twitter saying Quaner isn’t going to be the guy that gets you 10-15 goals a season, but has other qualities that can affect the quality of play in the forward areas. 20 odd goals in 180 appearances isn’t brilliant for a striker tbh. Although I think he was their highest assist provider in the season they were in the Premier League, and going by the short YouTube video posted from his time in Germany looks like he gets himself into good positions to receive a pass when inside the opposing teams box. 

Did see a quote from a Huddersfield fan along the lines of ‘goes from the exquisite to the ridiculous in three touches of the ball’ which is quite worrying to hear, although there has been plenty of players that have arrived in Scottish football where that quote could be applicable. Mehmet was a bit like that for St. Mirren, could do something magical one minute, and fall over the ball the next. Suppose they wouldn’t be signing for a club like St Mirren if they could do it all. 

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Not sure we've seen the best of either Connolly or Dennis so it would be a shame to see either leave the club (imo).

Erwin, too, we've not seen the best of, the question really is what is his best.

Tell you what though, it's interesting to see Goodwin being very proactive in comparison to other St Mirren managers. Granted many of them have been limited with budget, but most have stuck with players even if they aren't providing the goods. Morias wasn't delivering so Goodwin has gone out and got Dennis, and when (albeit injury hampered) that didn't work out he stumped up for Erwin and when that doesn't look like it's going to pay off (at least in the short term) he's brought in the Quaner.

Thing is about Erwin, there's a decent turn in there somewhere. The young guy I remember at Motherwell and the guy at Killie who got a decent move (cash wise) to Iran from his form doesn't just disappear overnight. I remember being pretty envious when County signed him but so far, it's just not worked. At 26 he's still young too so there's nothing there that suggests he's in anyway done or doesn't have the legs for it.

Granted, some of the time he's been strung up a bit. He simply doesn't work when brought on to play along with Obika and its not that they are too similar, they just don't compliment one another. Neither of them are the sort of player you'd say that exactly puts themselves about and makes themselves look busy. That is fine when you are milling about and lethal with it - I remember the absolute stick Higdon took from our support for not running about like a headless chicken but you put that ball near him around the penalty box and you knew there was a very good chance he's scoring, but it's not like Erwin or Obika are playing either a Higdon role of being lazy but lethal or Billy Mehmet role of being physical and a pain in the arse but wasteful. (Mehmet's the best example I could think of, of a guy who didn't really score but improved our team massively with his presence).

Jakubiak last season worked with Obika, not because he was a great striker (he wasn't) but he was a deep lying workhorse that complimented Jon perfectly and allowed him to free himself up a bit to be the guy who hovered about and sniffed out chances.

We now have a host of options. Goodwin's comments this week leave zero doubt whatsoever that our first choice strikers will be either Brophy by himself or Brophy and another. He never gave the impression that Brophy was coming in to provide a kick up the arse or competition for anyone, instead he's shown his hand and went 'this is our guy to lead the line'....guys like Obika, Erwin and Dennis will now have to prove that they are the guy who has the tools to play beside and compliment Brophy if and when the opportunity arises. I haven't included Quaner in that as to be honest, I get a feeling he'll be utilised more as a wide man more than a target man, funnily enough, slotting into the Morias role which seems weird for a dude of 6ft 3.

1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

Did see a quote from a Huddersfield fan along the lines of ‘goes from the exquisite to the ridiculous in three touches of the ball’ which is quite worrying to hear, although there has been plenty of players that have arrived in Scottish football where that quote could be applicable. 

I fucking love guys like that. Nigel Hasselbaink and Stelios are the first names that spring to mind. On their game unplayable, off their game, a man down.

Every team should have one. That wildcard where you know within 5 touches if they are on it or not.

Also heard him described as a big lumbering mess who is so awkward and unorthodox that players just don't know how to defend him. You'll think he's lost the ball, 2, 3, 4 times and yet he'll emerge at the other side with the ball still at his feet and no idea of how he's managed it.

Give me more of that shit! Consistent 6.5/10 is fucking dull.

Quote from FB...

Ian Bowerman
Huddersfield Town fan here. I've supported Huddersfield for 42 years. Regarding you're signing Colin Quaner who played for us in the Championship and the Premier League. He is well loved by Town fans. Because of his height he can look gangly but he is a grafter. He generally played out wide for us. He assisted in the goal at Sheff Weds that got us back in the game and to the Play off final. He played a major part throughout that season as part of the promotion team. During our first season in the Prem he played out wide once again and his assists helped us stay up the first season. He played in the middle on loan at Ipswich and scored 4 in 16 games. I honestly think he is better playing out wide. You have a good signing in my opinion.He will play his socks off every minute of every game for you and I think that says a lot about him. He is particularly good at low crosses.I'm chuffed that he's got a new club because he was well liked by Huddersfield fans and still is.

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I fucking love guys like that. Nigel Hasselbaink and Stelios are the first names that spring to mind. On their game unplayable, off their game, a man down.

Every team should have one. That wildcard where you know within 5 touches if they are on it or not.

Also heard him described as a big lumbering mess who is so awkward and unorthodox that players just don't know how to defend him. You'll think he's lost the ball, 2, 3, 4 times and yet he'll emerge at the other side with the ball still at his feet and no idea of how he's managed it.

Give me more of that shit! Consistent 6.5/10 is fucking dull.

Hasselbaink actually came into my head when I was trying to think of an example. I’m sure you will remember it too, but a game that really sticks in my mind was St Mirren V Aberdeen in Paisley on a scorching summer day, where Hasselbaink played like prime Arjen Robben. I think the game finished 1-0 to St Mirren although it should have been about 5, and it was one of Hasselbainks first games for the club. He was absolutely electric; gliding past defenders, stepovers, nutmegs the lot. I was sitting in the second row of the main stand with the sun blinding me for the full game, but it’s a match I always remember vividly for his performance. Proper excitement amongst the fans after that game but I don’t think he ever hit those heights since. 

1 minute ago, IrishBhoy said:

Hasselbaink actually came into my head when I was trying to think of an example. I’m sure you will remember it too, but a game that really sticks in my mind was St Mirren V Aberdeen in Paisley on a scorching summer day, where Hasselbaink played like prime Arjen Robben. I think the game finished 1-0 to St Mirren although it should have been about 5, and it was one of Hasselbainks first games for the club. He was absolutely electric; gliding past defenders, stepovers, nutmegs the lot. I was sitting in the second row of the main stand with the sun blinding me for the full game, but it’s a match I always remember vividly for his performance. Proper excitement amongst the fans after that game but I don’t think he ever hit those heights since. 

That was right at the start of the season, maybe the second game. He was just untouchable that day and the excitement was everywhere as we had a full new forward line of him on the left, Teale on the right and Thommo leading the line.

We went to Tannadice the following week buzzing about him and he got sent off for elbowing a Utd player in the face and I think that was the game we also lost Darren McGregor to the first of his two cruciate injuries.

30 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

That was right at the start of the season, maybe the second game. He was just untouchable that day and the excitement was everywhere as we had a full new forward line of him on the left, Teale on the right and Thommo leading the line.

We went to Tannadice the following week buzzing about him and he got sent off for elbowing a Utd player in the face and I think that was the game we also lost Darren McGregor to the first of his two cruciate injuries.

That’s right I remember he got sent off at Tanndice, didn’t realise it was the very next game. Sure the opening game was a Friday night away to Dunfermline live on Sky, where St Mirren did absolutely everything apart from putting the ball in the net. 

Steven Thompson was obviously brilliant for St Mirren but I was very much underwhelmed by Teale, League Cup final assist aside. Considering the level he had came from I expected him to be better. Remember being on a bus back from a game the same season as the League Cup win and everyone was singing ‘Teale, Teale will tear you apart again’, and a guy pipes up ‘the next time Teale tears someone apart it will be the first time’. :lol: 

Edited by IrishBhoy