The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

27 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'm actually pretty surprised that Sheron is still on the wage bill and is only surely because Fleetwood got shot of Barton recently.

Possibly, if anything Barton going might help as I'm guessing Fleetwood needs to be the ones who request him back. A new manager is probably going to want all the players he has at his (or her, albeit unlikely) disposal.

30 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I mean all of this is on the basis that we'll bring no-one else in.

I can legitimately see us going for another defender and another midfielder, even if on loan and that may require one or two guys that Goodwin knows will be going in the summer, making way a bit early.

I'm actually pretty surprised that Sheron is still on the wage bill and is only surely because Fleetwood got shot of Barton recently.

I was hoping the Barton sacking would be our route in to sending him back down the road. Possibly need to wait till the replacement is in the door. (Edit: as @Ricsaid. I just follow him about the forum copying what he says 😘 )

I'm gutted about Ryan Flynn, btw: I personally can't see him breaking back into our team. Definitely a victim of the lack of reserve games, in a similar way to Dennis.

Edited by Coventry Saint

17 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I was hoping the Barton sacking would be our route in to sending him back down the road. Possibly need to wait till the replacement is in the door. (Edit: as @Ricsaid. I just follow him about the forum copying what he says 😘 )

I'm gutted about Ryan Flynn, btw: I personally can't see him breaking back into our team. Definitely a victim of the lack of reserve games, in a similar way to Dennis.

I believe imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.. ;) 

In regard to Flynn/Dennis, I agree, not just the lack of reserve games but the lack of being able to arrange bounce games in general. That said, from the cameo roles Dennis has had I think he's looked a better option than Erwin. He looked like he could hold onto the ball and more importantly gets into the right places on the pitch. I may come back to regret this, but I've got a feeling he could be a very useful player for us in the run in. He is contracted to us until 2022 and I expect him to still be here next season. As for Flynn, this may be his last season at the club. I mean I wish it was not the case but circumstance and injury have not been kind on him. A "spiritual" return to Falkirk next season, perhaps, after his footballing peregrinations?

We don't need Brophy at present and Killie need to get him off their books.
If Dyer was clever he would have put his arm round Brophy and man managed it. Instead he's shot himself in the foot. Don't get me wrong, I like Dyer, but a more experienced manager would have played this differently.

You might not need him, but your club has gone public to say they want him. That's going to have about as much bearing as Dyer's comments - ie none.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

You might not need him, but your club has gone public to say they want him. That's going to have about as much bearing as Dyer's comments - ie none.

Yeah. At the end of the day, it doesn't make much sense for both sides to want the same thing and not work to make it happen. 

I would be surprised if we end the window without Brophy in the squad. I'd also be surprised if we end it with the current compliment of strikers at the club still here. 

11 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Going public to the press to tell them that he's played his last game for them, when he is still your player and you are still paying his wages, is monumentally naive. As I say, I like Dyer, he's been through a rough patch both on and off the pitch recently which is a shame but a more experienced manager would not put himself into that position.

As for us wanting him? Of course, Goodwin's singed him and we're getting him, it's just a matter of time, but it will be entirely on our own terms.

Edit: Ah, well, that's that resolved I suppose. It's good to see Killie acquiescing to our low ball offer of a loan deal.

Edited by Ric

1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

Time and time again, when players are interviewed just after signing, they say this...

"When I spoke to the gaffer I felt this was the right place for me".

Goodwin must be one of the most charming men on the planet.

That face. Those eyes. That accent. The hair. 

10 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

So, Dennis, Erwin, Obika, Quaner, Brophy.

We play one up front.

He's been keen to throw more bodies up there this season compared to last, long may that continue.

I could be wrong but I cannot see Brophy as a lone striker (I could be corrected here, of course) and you would imagine Goodwin will want to give him game time so he'll need a partner.

21 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Time and time again, when players are interviewed just after signing, they say this...

.....or a Master hypnotist.

Image result for John Simm Master Goatee

36 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

So, Dennis, Erwin, Obika, Quaner, Brophy.

We play one up front.

We will definitely offload. Quaner can play wide-right and is creative and quick , might mean an early departure for Dylan Connolly. Erwin or Dennis will likely go out on loan , more likely Erwin. 

1 minute ago, billyg said:

We will definitely offload. Quaner can play wide-right and is creative and quick , might mean an early departure for Dylan Connolly. Erwin or Dennis will likely go out on loan , more likely Erwin. 

I could see Dennis going on loan, especially if he has another knock. Remember Jim saying after the Ross County game that he had to do more to get fit, don’t think getting 10-20 minutes here and there is helping him. 

43 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Noticed that too, think every signing under Goodwin has went out the way to mention him. He was personally picking up the new signings from the airport/train station when they first arrived and giving them a tour around Glasgow/Paisley etc. Must be very reassuring for a player to come up here and be met with a manager with so much passion and commitment to the club, and make the player feel wanted from the outset. 

Goodwin does speak very well and I can imagine him being a motivating character around the training ground. A manager like that, who can convince players to sign for the club initially and then keep them motivated throughout the season, is a massive asset.